Bizzidy

Lowering the crf250x…another thread of this?

Completely agree. The X is a wonderful platform to create the type of bike you want, within reason. My biggest loves of the X platform is the reliability, tune-ability, and the excellent suspension. My biggest disappointments are the lack of a sixth speed in the transmission, and how high it carries its weight.

The former are so expensive to resolve if they weren’t already there. The latter are things you learn to work around. Just like you learn to work around torque curves of 2Ts and how to keep the front wheel light in deep sand.

I agree and IMO the bike feels very stable and is very easy to ride fast. I attribute that to frame and fork rigidity that is probably not needed on a trail bike, but does makes the bike feel better and have more precise steering at speed.

Do you ride with a steering damper like a Scott’s?

No Scott's, the X has a lot of steering rake and trail so is stable at the speeds I've ridden it. I use to have a Scott's on my XR and it made the bike feel larger but after removing it I like the easier steering for tight ST. I've not ridden either bike in the desert,  when I was competing was before Scott's and most of the MX based bikes were just fine.  One thing that helps is to; make sure the front wheel runs true,  the tire is mounted correctly, and balance the front wheel.  From my desert experiences I still balance all of my wheels. With needle bearings in the steering head you can add some preload to increase drag to dampen oscillations.   

One day on my XR w/ the Scotts I got a little too frisky on a side hill trail and clipped a large fir tree on the down hill side, that normally would turn the bike towards the tree and then downhill off the trail. The bike and I went down but we stayed on the trail. The down hill side of my Renthal bars were bent. I blame the Scoot's for bending my handle bars and keeping me and the bike on the trail. The tree lost a big chunk of bark.

Edited by Chuck.

Interesting story about your XR and that poor fir tree. That must have been hitting the high-speed damper on it pretty hard!

I run one on my X but do a lot of open desert racing with sand. It’s saved my bacon a couple of times, and keeps the bike straight through the deep sand ruts at speed (which for me is > 30 mph). But I do adjust it a half-dozen times over the course of a three hour race, especially when it gets into the tighter singletrack.

I still love that the high-speed damping is always there for those moments like you describe though.

I rode my friend’s WR250 and the steering felt so loose without a damper! I don’t notice it anymore unless it’s not there.

8 hours ago, Chuck. said:

I agree and IMO the bike feels very stable and is very easy to ride fast. I attribute that to frame and fork rigidity that is probably not needed on a trail bike, but does makes the bike feel better and have more precise steering at speed.

To be alittle more specific and for safety reasons I probably should add that I dont recommend every person who rides an X should go out there and run it at high speeds just because it can! Have to apply some common sense every time you throw a leg over any bike and remember your skill level. But the X has most of the basic elements for that type of riding, but still should have the suspension set up and adjusted for you so it is balanced and capable of handling the speeds you want to run, and handling the type of terrain you will be on.  In general, the faster you want to run, the stiffer the suspension should be, especially the front.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1