drestar

Can i use 140 flattrack tyre on 2.15 rim?

Hello i want to know if i can use a Mitas H 18 flattrack tyre size 140/80/19 tyre on a 2.15 rim?  or is 130 better choice..

its for my CR 250 1998. 

q5jk9kvsvp.jpg

Edited by drestar

1 hour ago, jrhonda said:

Yes you can

Are you sure? do you have experience with it.

i found this, 140 (27,5) for rimsize 3.50

7cdhm8o2ye.jpg

Edited by drestar

Are you sure? do you have experience with it.
i found this, 140 (27,5) for rimsize 3.50
7cdhm8o2ye.jpg&key=2c10577c3298a414d026bcfcb9057ee260d0b6f23ab863e630fc55d9d761e1cf

100% sure I race flat track Canada back in the days and that is what I used on my bike 2.15 rear 2.15 Yamaha rear rim laces to Honda crf250/450 hub

Thanks for the photo. i can see that the tyre balloon a little bit. how wide (width) is the tyre on the 2.15 rim when it is pumpt up?

Edited by drestar

Since this is the supermoto forum are you planning to use on a supermoto? These tires work suprisingly well on the asphalt. I ran a 140 on a 2.15 with no issues. 2.5 or 2.75 give a little better profile but if all you have is a 2.15 you still wont find a better tire.

I found The Ins and Outs of Converting a Motocross Bike to a Flat Track Singles Race Machine,

http://blog.wiseco.com/the-ins-and-outs-of-converting-a-motocross-bike-to-a-flat-track-singles-race-machine

In flat track racing, the tire size is 130/80-19 on both the front and rear.  Other forms of racing usually allow small variations in tire size to suit conditions and power output. However, changing the rim size has a dramatic impact on the tire curvature. 450 motocross bikes come stock equipped with a 2.15 x 19-inch rear rim, with the 2.15 being the width of the rim in inches.  Flat track rules allow up to 3.5 inches of width. So why would you want to use different rim widths and how does this affect your handling and traction?

Using a wider rim gives the tire less curve and a flatter surface, which allows for a larger contact area and results in better grip.  On longer tracks, it is ideal to have a larger contact area for additional traction at higher speeds.  The downside of having less curve in the tire is the handling, as the bike becomes less maneuverable.  When using a narrower rim, the tire has more curvature and the contact area is smaller, meaning there is less traction.  Common sense may be to always want more traction, but Thomas assured us that on short tracks, having an easily maneuverable bike is more important than pure traction.  Flat track racers typically have a few different rim sizes and use these subtleties to fine tune their motorcycles.  Flat track rims normally function with stock motocross hubs, so if you want to save a few dollars, you can lace up different rims on your stock hubs instead of purchasing two complete wheel sets.

Maybe is 130/80/19 a better choice for 2.15 rim? i only want flattrack tyre on the rear. .in the front i'll keep 90/90/21 tyre

Edited by drestar

On 12/26/2019 at 6:00 AM, drestar said:

Hello i want to know if i can use a Mitas H 18 flattrack tyre size 140/80/19 tyre on a 2.15 rim?  or is 130 better choice..

its for my CR 250 1998. 

q5jk9kvsvp.jpg

I used a 130 on a 2.15 and a 140 on a 2.5 

Check out continental tires. As I remember they made a wide rear that goes on a 3.5” and a narrow rear for 450’s that goes on a narrower rim. The fronts go on a standard rear 19” dirt bike rim.

When I built my wheels, oem rear rim went to the front and I bought a new wider rear rim. That gave optimal fit for the continental DF tires. Ran them on asphalt for a weekend, they warm up quick and are 90-95% as fast as slicks. Could give sv650’s a run with my 450.

You use front tyre for rear? i thought profile is different from front and rear..
and wich continental tyre? 

Yes
You can use front or rear tire on either one
Dunlop maxxes or mitas

Ok but wich tyre is better to have on the rear in combination with smaller tyre in front 90/90/21 ..rear 140 or 130 wide?  (i will not do a rim conversion) its not for competitief flattrack riding .only for speeding in the streets

Ok but wich tyre is better to have on the rear in combination with smaller tyre in front 90/90/21 ..rear 140 or 130 wide?  (i will not do a rim conversion) its not for competitief flattrack riding .only for speeding in the streets

I’d go with 140 Maxxis tire
It hooks up really good on dirt and asphalt

1 hour ago, jrhonda said:

I’d go with 140 Maxxis tire
It hooks up really good on dirt and asphalt

I can't buy Maxxis 140 .only Mitas H 18 130 and 140 size,

is there a big different between 140 and 130 size on a 2.15 rim?

Either will work. The 90/90/21 front will be the limiting factor. Those dirt track rears have race tire grip on the asphalt. Any tire on a 21 inch front is gonna push with that big tire on the back and be the limiting factor.