First Race, any advice?

Hi guys so i just wanted to come on here and ask for some advice, my first race will be this sunday at freestone mx down here in texas. Im extremely excited but dont know what to expect or even do when i get there. Ive never ridden the track since its mainly only open for racing but ive heard so far it gets extremely rutted but im not really concerned with ruts just jumps and competing with other guys. Btw im racing the 125open beginner class on a 250f. Just looking for some tips on possibly what time to be at the track and how i can just get through the day without any hiccups on and off the track, thanks.Adjustments.JPG

For one go early and walk the track or at least scout it out..Try and look for good lines etc. Have fun. Don’t expect too much or too little. Try to get to the gate a little earlier so you can get a better gate pick. Try to get the shortest straight line to the first inside line of the first turn . Try not to end up on the outside that guys can push you to the outside and bump you out. 
Really though.. just ride and have fun. It’s easy to say but not to do but don’t get too nervous. Then again that’s part of the fun.. It’s awesome that you are racing.. You’ll learn more racing than just riding around. It’s fun too. Congratulations for doing it!!!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

Make sure you check your bike over so that your tire pressures are set, the chain is properly adjusted and lubed and make sure anything that needs replacement gets done before you get to the track, have a full fuel container, get your gear in order and double check to make sure you don’t forget anything. Bring proper food and water. Make a list. Arrive early and walk the track. Watch other classes practice regardless of where you are in the order. Attend the riders meeting and pay attention to what’s being said about the flagging and start procedures. If you’re not the first class to race watch the starts of the classes before you. Try to relax and make sure you’re having fun. That’s why you’re doing this. If any obstacle on the track is too daunting then don’t try it. If you’re getting lapped by faster riders then hold your line and don’t weave from side to side. Grip the bike with your legs not your arms. Drink lots of water. Nothing else. 
if you can get those things down your first race should go well. 

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

8 hours ago, David Cardenas said:

Hi guys so i just wanted to come on here and ask for some advice, my first race will be this sunday at freestone mx down here in texas. Im extremely excited but dont know what to expect or even do when i get there. Ive never ridden the track since its mainly only open for racing but ive heard so far it gets extremely rutted but im not really concerned with ruts just jumps and competing with other guys. Btw im racing the 125open beginner class on a 250f. Just looking for some tips on possibly what time to be at the track and how i can just get through the day without any hiccups on and off the track, thanks.Adjustments.JPG

It's not that technical of a track, but they rip it 7 ft deep and drowned it, and it gets rutted and rough. 

Good start and stay up, and you'll do fine.

Yep try to stay up and finish. Have fun you'll be hooked. Soon as gate dops all nerves go away just ride like you know how. 250 beginner class sounds more realistic idk if can ride a 250 in 125 class there or not . Also im not a track Walker id ratger jump in another practice session works for me but lots of guys walk it

Edited by Motox367

Don't try to win your first race.  This is a time for fun and learning.  Do not ride over your head or try things you're not comfortable with.  Getting hurt your very first race is not a good way to start your racing experience.  Do you know someone who will also be racing?  If so, hook up with them so you know where to go to tech inspection (if there is one), where the race order is posted, when/where the rider's meeting will be held, which race you'll be in, etc.  If you don't know anyone there, take someone with you who can help you keep track of things, or in the worst case, help you get home if you crash.  They can also take photos for you....this is something you'll want to save.  

So, have fun, stay safe, learn lots, and above all else, have lots of fun.  Sure, you might finish last on the track, but you're still ahead of the people on the other side of the fence who don't have the nerve to try it themselves!  Post up a 'race report' on this thread and share all your thoughts about it all.  You'll only have one "first" race, so remember it.

I've been doing this for a while.  My first race was in the fall of 1968 (I was 22) and I remember a lot of that day.  My last race was this past June where I had a bit of a freak crash and ended up some time in the hospital, but plan to be on the starting line at our first event on April 2020!  I may go pretty slow these days, but my smile is just as big as it was way back when.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Don't try to win your first race.  This is a time for fun and learning.  Do not ride over your head or try things you're not comfortable with.  Getting hurt your very first race is not a good way to start your racing experience.  Do you know someone who will also be racing?  If so, hook up with them so you know where to go to tech inspection (if there is one), where the race order is posted, when/where the rider's meeting will be held, which race you'll be in, etc.  If you don't know anyone there, take someone with you who can help you keep track of things, or in the worst case, help you get home if you crash.  They can also take photos for you....this is something you'll want to save.  
So, have fun, stay safe, learn lots, and above all else, have lots of fun.  Sure, you might finish last on the track, but you're still ahead of the people on the other side of the fence who don't have the nerve to try it themselves!  Post up a 'race report' on this thread and share all your thoughts about it all.  You'll only have one "first" race, so remember it.
I've been doing this for a while.  My first race was in the fall of 1968 (I was 22) and I remember a lot of that day.  My last race was this past June where I had a bit of a freak crash and ended up some time in the hospital, but plan to be on the starting line at our first event on April 2020!  I may go pretty slow these days, but my smile is just as big as it was way back when.

thanks this definitely helps and ill make sure to keep you guys posted and will definitely leave my thoughts and overall experience
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, David Cardenas said:

thanks this definitely helps and ill make sure to keep you guys posted and will definitely leave my thoughts and overall experience

If you see #255 Mike Clement there Sunday, kick him in the shin and tell him WalkingWounded said to step it up.

Alright so i just made it home and im grateful to be in one piece. At first i was EXTREMELY nervous never been soo nervous in my life but after the first moto man i gotta tell ya i couldn’t wait to go out again i had a terrible start but still landed an 18th out of 22 which for my first race im pretty surprised. I love racing alot more because I actually feel that i will grow from it unlike just regular practice because when racing i feel like im actually pushing myself to catch the guy in front of me or stop they guy behind me from passing me, in the end i had a TON of fun and this is definitely the first of hundreds of more races to come, if anyone is on the fence about racing i suggest you do it its a better and quicker way to get better at riding and mainly is just damn fun thanks for all the advice freestone got really rutted but i was able to use that to my advantage.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

2 hours ago, David Cardenas said:

Alright so i just made it home and im grateful to be in one piece. At first i was EXTREMELY nervous never been soo nervous in my life but after the first moto man i gotta tell ya i couldn’t wait to go out again i had a terrible start but still landed an 18th out of 22 which for my first race im pretty surprised. I love racing alot more because I actually feel that i will grow from it unlike just regular practice because when racing i feel like im actually pushing myself to catch the guy in front of me or stop they guy behind me from passing me, in the end i had a TON of fun and this is definitely the first of hundreds of more races to come, if anyone is on the fence about racing i suggest you do it its a better and quicker way to get better at riding and mainly is just damn fun thanks for all the advice freestone got really rutted but i was able to use that to my advantage.

I remember that feeling lol awesome job bud 👍🏽👍🏽🏆 that's how you do it

• Like 2

good job David, you saw it through and had fun. You should post a pic or two!

• Like 2

It's hard to add to all the great advice that our members gave you so far. I'll try to give you a punch list of stuff to follow:

- Bike prep, spend time to totally prep your bike so that it runs as well as it should. Check all nuts/bolts, filters, chain, tire pressure, etc.

- Load up your bike and stuff the night before, eat a healthy dinner that inc carbs. Get a good night sleep. Brings lots of water to drink!

- Arrive early and park near the track so you can watch and observe races all day long.

- Sign up early and then walk the track. As you walk the track, scout out your lines, passing lanes and potential technical points. Anywhere you

feel uneasy or unsure, watch others go through that spot and try it in practice. If possible, go out for practice twice.

- Be ready for your moto and watch the sign up board so that you know when you motos are lining up. Butterflies will start now, so try to relax and breathe!

- Just ride to have fun, not to win but feel free to be competitive. Your goal is to finish while gaining experience and not get too caught up on the moment.

That is easier said than done but no sense going all out, just to wreck and push you bike off the track and prematurely ending your day.

- Watch as many motos as you can and move around a lot to see the entire track under race conditions. Observe. learn and mimic

If you qualified for the second moto, recall all you've learned so far and race yourself and the track rather than your competitors.

If you are still alive and walking under your own power at the end of the day, reflect on your experience and take a bow. Then check your credit card balances because you're hooked and will be waiting for the UPS driver to bring you lots of goodies, haha

• Like 1