Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a bigger bike... 80 CR125 or newer YZ125? Which one?

Hey y’all! So I currently have a 1999 Yamaha RT100 that I have restored and modded, and I run some performance parts on it. It’s a decent fun little 2 smoker trail bike to ride around and have fun, and it’s a lot faster since I geared up. Stock rear sprocket was 48 tooth, and it’s 36 now. But anyways, I have had it for about a year now, and I am currently looking for a bigger bike (preferably a 2 stroke). There are some YZ125s for sale in my area, also some CR125s. The majority of the CR’s are from 80 - 82, and they seem to be in good shape. The YZ’s don’t look bad either, the majority of those are from 00 - 15, but I lean towards the vintage bikes. Most of my knowledge is on two strokes, and I know how to do basic maintenance such as rebuilds, transmission oil changes, etc. also I’m more of a Yamaha person, but I do like other brands such as Honda, and Kawasaki. Not to mention I’m not “necessarily” a newbie to motorcycles, it’s just that I can’t really seem to make my mind up. Not to mention I am 14 years old. So I am asking any of y’all that have personal experience on these bikes. Thanks for any advice!

• Like 1

Perhaps as a second project bike but I would not buy a vintage bike as your only ride, two words: parts availability

Even some late 1990's-early 2000's bikes owners are now beginning to have difficulty finding new parts,

these models long discontinued and with no more manufacturer support.

While common wear items like pistons, clutches, bearings are easily available from aftermarket suppliers,

it's OEM only odd parts like ignition, electrical, powervalve components etc. that to could sideline your ride indefinitely.

If you want the absolute peace of mind for long term parts availability, the 2005-2020 YZ125 is the clear winner

as these bikes are practically unchanged thru out those years and, all OEM parts still in current production.

Also keep in mind your RT100 is a relatively mild 2-stroke that's well suited for recreational trail riding.

A high-strung MX race bike is a completely different animal and while it can be trail ridden (experienced rider, fast/open terrain)

in many cases due to it's specific MX features they are simply not as well suited as an off-road or enduro specific bike would be.

Edited by mlatour

11 hours ago, mlatour said:

Perhaps as a second project bike but I would not buy a vintage bike as your only ride, two words: parts availability

Even some late 1990's-early 2000's bikes owners are now beginning to have difficulty finding new parts,

these models long discontinued and with no more manufacturer support.

While common wear items like pistons, clutches, bearings are easily available from aftermarket suppliers,

it's OEM only odd parts like ignition, electrical, powervalve components etc. that to could sideline your ride indefinitely.

If you want the absolute peace of mind for long term parts availability, the 2005-2020 YZ125 is the clear winner

as these bikes are practically unchanged thru out those years and, all OEM parts still in current production.

Also keep in mind your RT100 is a relatively mild 2-stroke that's well suited for recreational trail riding.

A high-strung MX race bike is a completely different animal and while it can be trail ridden (experienced rider, fast/open terrain)

in many cases due to it's specific MX features they are simply not as well suited as an off-road or enduro specific bike would be.

Thanks, I appreciate it! I just wanted to see what bike I should get, and people’s opinion on them. Looks like I’m going to be getting a YZ, and most of the ones up for sale are from 03 - 18. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, American 015 said:

Hey y’all! So I currently have a 1999 Yamaha RT100 that I have restored and modded, and I run some performance parts on it. It’s a decent fun little 2 smoker trail bike to ride around and have fun, and it’s a lot faster since I geared up. Stock rear sprocket was 48 tooth, and it’s 36 now. But anyways, I have had it for about a year now, and I am currently looking for a bigger bike (preferably a 2 stroke). There are some YZ125s for sale in my area, also some CR125s. The majority of the CR’s are from 80 - 82, and they seem to be in good shape. The YZ’s don’t look bad either, the majority of those are from 00 - 15, but I lean towards the vintage bikes. Most of my knowledge is on two strokes, and I know how to do basic maintenance such as rebuilds, transmission oil changes, etc. also I’m more of a Yamaha person, but I do like other brands such as Honda, and Kawasaki. Not to mention I’m not “necessarily” a newbie to motorcycles, it’s just that I can’t really seem to make my mind up. Not to mention I am 14 years old. So I am asking any of y’all that have personal experience on these bikes. Thanks for any advice!

Vintage dirt bikes? If the bikes for sale are in perfect nick, I would go for the 82 yz-125, that's one killer looking scoot, some good horsey power there, and pretty good suspension. Make sure to go over em with a fine tooth comb, Pull that seat off, and look at that air filter, if its tore up and dirty, walk away, also pull the magneto cover, and wiggle the rotor, any play is a deal breaker, check all bearings, so get to wiggling the triple clamps, swing arm, and the wheels, if the bikes have on issues I described, oops check the sparky plug, make sure its not coated in munge, make sure all plastiques are there, if all checks out, then take it for a spin, shift those gears, feel the clutch, test the brakes, if that passes, they peel off some cool greens, sign a bill of sale, then go tear it up bubba!image.png.44b1268c8e245c15c24bce4e982ae1a4.png

• Like 1

And when you bash the exhaust pipe on that 1982 or, an ignition component fails etc.

enjoy looking at it gathering dust in a corner until you can locate a suitable replacement part (likely used) which,

may end up being more expensive than an equivalent part on a much newer bike.

Those are bikes of my teenage years so I'll always have a particular interest in that era but

sometimes for practicality reasons it's better to leave the past, in the past.

Edited by mlatour

7 hours ago, American 015 said:

Thanks, I appreciate it! I just wanted to see what bike I should get, and people’s opinion on them. Looks like I’m going to be getting a YZ, and most of the ones up for sale are from 03 - 18. 

Say bubba, when you do make your choice, let us know, slap up some photos, id love to see it! Good luck bubba!🤠