GaiasGuardian

The tale of the Suzuki DRZ400 Super Motard

And now for the big reveal!!! I have purposely not added a full view of the light in the in progress photos to make this moment bigger 😎

DSCN9771.jpg

DSCN9813.jpg

DSCN9752.jpg

DSCN9762.jpg

DSCN9753.jpg

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, aussiedrzguy said:

Remember to keep an eye on your number plate the MRD likes to blast them apart.

Thanks for the tip! As soon as I installed it I excepted that I will have to get a metal one as soon as this one has burnt through. Will see in time. 😊

Just happy the indicators is "safe" 

11 hours ago, GaiasGuardian said:

Thanks for the tip! As soon as I installed it I excepted that I will have to get a metal one as soon as this one has burnt through. Will see in time. 😊

Just happy the indicators is "safe" 

Just offset the plate to the left.

• Like 1

Maybe your plates are better but even with my Ohio licence offset they would still crack after a couple years. My solution was to make a backing plate out of 1.5mm (1/16th) abs plastic. I tired a ready made stainless plate but it was too heavy in my opinion.

1 hour ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

Maybe your plates are better but even with my Ohio licence offset they would still crack after a couple years. My solution was to make a backing plate out of 1.5mm (1/16th) abs plastic. I tired a ready made stainless plate but it was too heavy in my opinion.

I just taped a piece of paper to it and moved it across until it stopped being hit by exhaust gas. Didn't want to go much further than that anyway as it was starting to stick out the other side. We can also get access to a plate that is more a portrait style but they act like mudflaps. ( Not my BMW. Not my style of bike)

20200115_112615.thumb.jpg.a78432f18a96c6ac9957a2ac20598c48.jpgnz_23tio.jpg.a3dfcb09a1e04569b58c9dc80c75b050.jpg

9 hours ago, 38super said:

Are you allowed to rotate the plate?  Cops can't read sideways?

This is South Africa we are talking about, so definately not😂😂

• Like 1

I made a back up plate out of 1/8" thk h34 aluminum the same contour of my license plate. Then drilled two countersink holes into it and bolted it to my aluminum Edge tail light bracket. Drilled and tapped a hole at each corner and fastened the license plate to it with several zig zag beads of silicone rtv sealant to dampen all the vibrations and my plate has not cracked for 10years since.

6 hours ago, bumtarder said:

I made a back up plate out of 1/8" thk h34 aluminum the same contour of my license plate. Then drilled two countersink holes into it and bolted it to my aluminum Edge tail light bracket. Drilled and tapped a hole at each corner and fastened the license plate to it with several zig zag beads of silicone rtv sealant to dampen all the vibrations and my plate has not cracked for 10years since.

Gorilla Tape to the back of the plate. Several layers will do the trick.

.... UPDATE.... 

Sundays are the absolute best. I have some time today so just a small update. 

The bike is running like a beast and still the best symphony of sound ever produced. 

I came from work the other day and realised my rear brake is a bit wonky. 

It took a deep press to get the bike to brake. It would take very deep down and then it would lock up. I inspected it when I got home and found the master cylinder reservoir completely buckled and without fluid. 

The first thing that popped into my head was the new shiny heat gun I used to apply the decals on my KTM. 

IMG_20200119_101436.jpg

I got out the vice grip then heated it good and proper. I softened it quite a bit and used the vice to hold it in its original shape. 

While in shape I get it cool down complete. It still too 2 or 3 runs to get it to a shape I'm very happy with. 

IMG_20200119_102132.jpg

IMG_20200119_103842.jpg

IMG_20200119_113112.jpg

On 1/26/2020 at 6:07 PM, GaiasGuardian said:

I got out the vice grip then heated it good and proper. I softened it quite a bit and used the vice to hold it in its original shape. 

While in shape I get it cool down complete. It still too 2 or 3 runs to get it to a shape I'm very happy with. 

IMG_20200119_102132.jpg

IMG_20200119_103842.jpg

IMG_20200119_113112.jpg

This is a common problem on the DRZ . The best fix is usually to buy one from a CRF honda , greg