CRFJeff

How do bikes fit in newer short bed trucks?

Hey all, 

My ford ranger is nearing the end of its useable due to some pretty bad body rust and a very rusted bed, so i've been lookin for a new truck. I want to get a midsize from the last decade, and a crew cab would be nice but not a necessity. I've noticed though that a lot of these trucks have beds that are ~5ft. Talking Tacoma, frontier, new ranger, and colorado. 

Does anyone have a short bed midsize with a 5.5, 5, or less bed, and if so how does your bike fit in the back?

My ranger has a 6ft bed and fits my bike nicely diagonally w the tail gate up. I can fit two bikes with the tailgate down. 

2 minutes ago, CRFJeff said:

Hey all, 

My ford ranger is nearing the end of its useable due to some pretty bad body rust and a very rusted bed, so i've been lookin for a new truck. I want to get a midsize from the last decade, and a crew cab would be nice but not a necessity. I've noticed though that a lot of these trucks have beds that are ~5ft. Talking Tacoma, frontier, new ranger, and colorado. 

Does anyone have a short bed midsize with a 5.5, 5, or less bed, and if so how does your bike fit in the back?

My ranger has a 6ft bed and fits my bike nicely diagonally w the tail gate up. I can fit two bikes with the tailgate down. 

Bro, I have a small cab long bed Chevy Silverado, and bikes fit just fine, If purchasing a truck is a priority, you might consider a long bed, small beds aint for off road vehicles, just for landscaping, shopping, and maybe a mountain bikes, other wise leave your tail gate down, and pray that your tie downs don't break loose....image.png.1420e3823b12682825e6e20ccafc0a7e.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, M E T A L A C I D said:

Bro, I have a small cab long bed Chevy Silverado, and bikes fit just fine, If purchasing a truck is a priority, you might consider a long bed, small beds aint for off road vehicles, just for landscaping, shopping, and maybe a mountain bikes, other wise leave your tail gate down, and pray that your tie downs don't break loose....image.png.1420e3823b12682825e6e20ccafc0a7e.png

Beautiful truck. 

Technically I think short beds ought to be better for off road due to the shorter wheelbase and breakover angle. Crew cab is not a priority, but ext. cab is necessary at least. Just wondering if I can get away w a short bed. I also live in a pretty urban area (boston) so smaller truck footprint is nice. Pretty much anything i get will be way bigger than my ranger tho, that's just the way its gone. 

• Like 3

I have an F-150 with a 5'-6" box and my bike fits in there with quite a few inches to spare.  You can see in the pic I wedge the rear tire in front of the upright support whereas if I were to put the rear tire right back against where the closed tailgate meets the side of the box I think I could probably roll the bike fore and aft 6-8" maybe...  Not sure how much narrower the smaller trucks are.

IMG_6591.JPG.f2ceb7b8f969974094f917177fef7f35.JPG

• Like 10

Sport trucks are better drivers than the utility bed trucks ( 8 ft bed). Two different animals. Friend put both bikes in his new F-150 with the gate down, no other option.

• Like 2

Cool rigs there folks, I don't bring a whole shop with me when I ride, but I don't race any more, I just open up my tail gate, slap in a bike, close the tail gate and go ride. If the bike breaks down, then I'm done for the day, Bro buy what you need, to me I prefer a small cab, long bed, its easy for me to get the bike in and out of the bed, or any other large loads I need. Good luck..

• Like 1

I definitely don't carry all that stuff if just riding and not racing since there is usually reasonable time to fix stuff between motos.  I would definitely bring a lot of stuff though if I were traveling very far to ride, like overnight.  Then I would bring the trailer.

• Like 1

Current set up attached. Looking at the short bed trucks it seems like the wheel wells are up against the cab so I wouldn't be able to pull this off. I'll prob end up with extended cab and 6ft bed. No crew cab for me. 

truck1.jpg

• Like 3

I have a 2006 silverdo crew cab with the 5'9" bed. I have one of those flip up bed extenders. The extra interior room is more valuable to me than the bed space. Turning radius is not bad either. Much better than the long bed crew or extended cab. Being able to run with the gate up is nice but a minor inconveinence for me. Everything is a compromise just decide what your priorities are.

• Like 1

I have a tacoma with 5 ft bed. Tailgate down for hauling. Zero issues in the years ive had it.

Bikes wont fit in the 6ft anyways with the tailgate up. Diagonal eats up a lot of room for gear imo too.

20190405_192821-jpg.3459525

Edited by MotoAddicted
  • Like 5

16 minutes ago, trailmeisterjoe said:

What exactly is wrong with the tailgate down?  Been doing it for years and years....:excuseme:

Joe

Nothing at all.  It works well too.  I use that method when hauling more than one bike.  When hauling one bike I personally like the gate up.

Edited by Fatt_Tones
  • Like 2

Sideways as others have shown, or a bed extender to capture loose items in the bed with the tailgate down. 

How abut a moto-tote on the hitch? 

The benefits to a CCLB full size, lots of room. The drawbacks, the 167" wheelbase is not a city truck and parking just about everywhere is challenging. 

20190420_134321.jpg.cda0f3301ba2ac3c49a5d6c4583f367f.jpg20190420_134300.jpg.9bfe5f6cfdc4fe5ba05a7670d7382848.jpg

• Like 5

I have a 18 taco with 5ft bed quad cab. I fit 2 bikes with the tailgate down, 6ft ramp, 10x10 ez up, 2 bike stands, 5 gallon fuel can, 2 lounge chairs, 20qt yeti, and a small toolbox, and 2 gear bags. It’s packed but it fits and hauls with no issues.

• Like 1

2013 short bed Tacoma does just fine. Or keep your truck and invest in a utility trailer.  The latter would be much cheaper...

@MotoAddicted...sweet Tacoma.

And yes, I'm showing off my beta  again but it's the only pic I have of it in the bed of the truck..  🙂

IMG_0326.JPG.760428223d1768d3e1dec2566d317724.JPG

Edited by texas angler
Spelling
  • Like 3

What exactly is wrong with the tailgate down?  Been doing it for years and years....

Trucks pre 2000 were heavy gauge sheet metal. Newer trucks use ultra thin sheet metal or AL for less weight. Toyota recommends gate up when driving. Doesn't matter. Go to the trailhead and most new trucks are gate down haulers anyway.

Edited by Burnrider
  • Helpful 1

I think it's nice that this site has become so gender-inclusive. 

Personally, we put our bikes in an 8' bed grown man's truck, but I realize not everyone can climb into one of those while wearing a kilt.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I have a Rack N Ride for solo runs and an enclosed trailer for when my wife goes with me.  5.5' Tacoma bed doesn't have a lot of room :)