supercross It's That Time Again. What's a Winning Season for Team Yamaha?

1 hour ago, KTMRider4Life said:

I guess we're going to see this year if it's fixed. Bowman says it's fixed and should have riders top 3 and 5 if things go right. I seriously have my doubts they do that well. What do you think is a winning season for Yamaha?

I never said they should do that, I’m saying that’s what it would take for me to consider it a winning season. 

They’ve brought in some new personal and put in a lot of work, anything less would be a loss.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

I guess we're going to see this year if it's fixed. Bowman says it's fixed and should have riders top 3 and 5 if things go right. I seriously have my doubts they do that well. What do you think is a winning season for Yamaha?

7 (JB) & 10 (AP). I don't see Barcia and Plessinger in the top 5. But @GBowman knows a lot more than me. I am sure Barcia will do ok in outdoors.

But in SX even when "fixed" nobody does better than Chad did on it when it was "broke" in 2016 IMO. So I don't even know what "fixed" means.

Do you see Barcia doing better than 7th if nobody gets hurt? (That means he beats Webb, Tomac, Anderson, Roczen, Oz, and AC. Maybe AC has rookie jitters and possibly JB could eek out a 6th best case scenario ???).

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Havingfun said:

hey big boy

You still don't get it.  The mods mostly leave us alone in here, but when they start seeing pics of naked dudes popping up, they stop leaving us alone.  Hopefully that's clear?

2 hours ago, Chaconne said:

But in SX even when "fixed" nobody does better than Chad did on it when it was "broke" in 2016 IMO. So I don't even know what "fixed" means.

Chad's YZ450F didn't look "broken" in 2016. His suspension and chassis balance looked ok to me.  I considered that "fixed".  Listening to him talk about it, I presume Chad has a lot of say about his suspension and chassis settings. Perhaps 100% Chad's choice.  However, Barcia and who ever was helping him in 2019 turned up with a completely different bike. It looked "broke".  Same for Webbs's YZ450F in 2018. No fun at all.

mog, I understand and heard that Barcia is going for a less aggressive motor in 2020.  That's great. But I cannot stop wondering if the guy had suspension and chassis working even kinda close to the guys he's trying to beat then maybe he could have used more motor. 

Pick any dry 2019 race with a rough surface. Daytona might a good one. Or a MX race where Barcia is up front getting some TV time. Watch Barcia's bike and body vs Tomas or Webb or Roczen over the same part of the track. Look at the suspension travel and response and how Barcia needs to position his weight on the bike to make it work.  Barcia's bike setup was the odd-ball out there. And I think it had nothing to do with bike weight, or cylinder lean, or chassis flex etc.  As for whatever is going on for the YZ450F in MXGP, I have no idea or opinion.

• Like 1

You could well be right , I have watched the yzf for a long time ,I either see very stiff bikes ,or nice suspension where the bike moves under the rider a lot, more pitching in braking and squat in acceleration , I'm sure however that some of the teams have got the fundamentals correct, I think barcia has struggled more than most ( he has talked a lot about it ) he rides wrong as well

Febvre in 17 turned his bike into an enduro version ,it was so restricted it sounded different to every bike in the mxgp ,this was imo to control the chassis movement

In 19 I read they had full factory frame that was a big step away from production frame

It sounds like from the shootouts they have fixed all the issues , but the UK test says still problems with ergos , too fat ,too tall ,too heavy , USA tests seem to gloss over those parts ,almost like they think owners won't care ? To me they are all important

• Helpful 1

I guess I am trying to say Garcia started with the best package to date , and did the worst job on it ,and I think he accepted that as valid

Now he has a new direction and it should be better

8 hours ago, KTMRider4Life said:

2 wins by barcia and few podiums by plessy all with no injuries and full sx season completed. That's optimistic in this field of riders. Just finishing a full sx season with both riders healthy. Top 7 in points would be winning season. 

• Like 2

They should go for the " just finish the season approach " obey then they can get 5th

You try to get top 3 and you going to not finish unless you are very talented and lucky

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 12/30/2019 at 5:44 PM, KableXL said:

OH this is hard,,, hard to tell. They got a crack at 250 West with Dennis Fernandez,,, but past that,,,, ohhh blu CRU needs a miracle.

Dennis lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mog said:

Febvre in 17 turned his bike into an enduro version ,it was so restricted it sounded different to every bike in the mxgp ,this was imo to control the chassis movement

If that's the case, Barcia having a top end focused engine, and revving the piss out of it, is an even worse method than on other 450s.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

If that's the case, Barcia having a top end focused engine, and revving the piss out of it, is an even worse method than on other 450s.

Every time the Kaw guys hear Barcia go by revving the piss out of it, they thank the stars that he ain't riding green. There would be engine parts strewn all over the place. It would look like my uncle's place in the early 80s when I was chucking shit Bultaco parts all over his backyard.:mad:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Chaconne said:

Every time the Kaw guys hear Barcia go by revving the piss out of it, they thank the stars that he ain't riding green. There would be engine parts strewn all over the place. It would look like my uncle's place in the early 80s when I was chucking shit Bultaco parts all over his backyard.:mad:

Yeah I'll bet Barcia could get Tomac's bike smoking...

spacer.png

Edited by redrider144
  • Haha 2

On 12/31/2019 at 8:52 PM, GBowman said:

I never said they should do that, I’m saying that’s what it would take for me to consider it a winning season. 

They’ve brought in some new personal and put in a lot of work, anything less would be a loss.  

Okay so what does a "solid" season look like for them? 

17 hours ago, phantom451 said:

2 wins by barcia and few podiums by plessy all with no injuries and full sx season completed. That's optimistic in this field of riders. Just finishing a full sx season with both riders healthy. Top 7 in points would be winning season. 

Good to know, thanks for putting that out there. I wish Yamafans like @OUTERLIMITS had the cajones to say what they thought a winning or solid season looked like for Yamaha.... I've been pretty easy on them the past couple years and I think their bike has improved.

• Helpful 1

23 hours ago, Chaconne said:

7 (JB) & 10 (AP). I don't see Barcia and Plessinger in the top 5. But @GBowman knows a lot more than me. I am sure Barcia will do ok in outdoors.

Do you see Barcia doing better than 7th if nobody gets hurt? (That means he beats Webb, Tomac, Anderson, Roczen, Oz, and AC. Maybe AC has rookie jitters and possibly JB could eek out a 6th best case scenario ???).

They are making the chasis more rider friendly. Hopefully in two years they have a production model that is easy to race at their level. 

1 minute ago, KableXL said:

OH you mean like this >

giphy.gif

Can be fixed. Broken in three parts not so much.

On 1/1/2020 at 8:40 PM, mog said:

It sounds like from the shootouts they have fixed all the issues , but the UK test says still problems with ergos , too fat ,too tall ,too heavy , USA tests seem to gloss over those parts ,almost like they think owners won't care ? To me they are all important

I agree and think ergos and the size thing is important to a lot of riders. I also think it costs Yamaha a lot of bike sales.

26 minutes ago, numroe said:

I agree and think ergos and the size thing is important to a lot of riders. I also think it costs Yamaha a lot of bike sales.

While I agree on the importance of size, ergos, and etc. to riders,  I don't think it is costing Yam that many sales or at least sales that they care about.