AXP Skid Plate - 2020 KTM 500 EXC

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased an AXP skid plate for my 2020 500 EXC and it doesn't seem to fit.  I attached the black brackets to the skid plate and then snap the brackets onto the frame in front of the rear tire.  When I rotate the skid plate upwards to bolt it to the frame, it hits the muffler.  Has anyone else with a 2020 had this issue?

Thank you

image.png

They did change the header on the 2020’s so I wonder if AXP made it differently or not.
2020 on left...
IMG_2044.JPG

I think that is what happened.   I really like how thick the skid plate is but I have no interest in loosening off the exhaust whenever I want to remove the plate.    Thank you for the responses.

Where did you purchase from? Either AXP hasn't designed one yet for the 20' or your distributor messed up. My 19' clears just barely so I can see from the above pic that there is no way a 17-19' will fit a 20'.

I bought it from Slavens Racing.  They sent the pics off to AXP but I don't think they've heard back.  The Slavens rep told me that he knows of 50 guys with 2020 500 that have this mounted.  I just can't see it without taking the exhaust off.  I received my Acerbis skid plate at lunch today so I'll try to mount that tonight or tomorrow night.  

I went on AXP and they are closed for the holidays until  the 5th. It looks like all they did was extend the model year as the PN is the same. You could get in on with some muscle trying to bend it under the exhaust but I say Why cause you don't have to on the 19'.  You could cut out just enough for the exist to clear but then again, Why?

I have no dealings with Slavens but I would tell his rep to stick the pics of his 50 installs into a video and prove it. Maybe like some of his other vids there is a trick or secret way to do it on the 20'. I can have min off is less time than it takes to put the socket on the ratchet. Zero farking around with it and that's why I bought it since oil changes are frequent.

Good luck in any skid plate you end up with. 

As helpful as the Slavens rep was, I'm doubting the 50 other owners were able to slip this on.  I'm with you on the oil change frequency and wanting it to be as quick as possible each time.

I just tried to put the Acerbis skid plate on the bike and that doesn't fit either.  Does anyone have a 2020 500 exc with a skid plate.  I'd be very interested to know the brand.  Sooooo frustrating.  

Thank you for the link.  I think I'll give these a try.  If I can't get this to fit I'm selling the bike 😀 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, dew-3 said:

Thank you for the link.  I think I'll give these a try.  If I can't get this to fit I'm selling the bike 😀 

By the looks of the TM skidplate using the bolt holes as a general measurement distance from the pipe, the problem will be the same. Your either going to have to muscle the lip under the pipe or cut a relief area for the pipe. Bottom line i see is nobody accounted for the 20' pipe being much lower then the previous years. Eat some wheaties or grab a die grinder.

Edited by cmbthumper

Scrolling through the pictures, there are 2 different designs, one is the original mount, and one is the mount where each frame member has a hole.

But my experience these guys are not idiots, they directly support factory riders, and should know of any issue. Also very good on warranty situation, there's only like 1 or 2 guys that work the office, easy contact, just call them.

on a side note,  I bought a $40 chain slider, which cracked inside of 30 days,  they offered me they $80 design, and said that it should be a lifetime item, I just had to pay the difference. Luv the $80 design(self lubing plactic with side bar, super long life, I suspect I'll have to replace at 75 to 100,000 miles, mainly cause the side bar wears though, the main part of the  slider, will go a lot longer.   OEM sliders, was trash insde of 3,000 miles, but they are cheap to replace, but 3,000 miles is too much hassle.

This is super helpful.  I’ll let you know what they say when I call

Does anyone know of a polymer, aftermarket skid plate, for 2020 PDS bikes, that uses stock frame mounts? I can't believe this is such a hassle to find a common aftermarket part for a 2yo KTM bike. 

I run the Acerbis on my 2020 500 exc and it’s been great. Comes off with one bolt for oil changes and it’s very strong 

A4250A70-6C07-41C4-AD39-054829DD5125.jpeg

EE9487D4-BA6F-4384-935B-69FC1EBFA0BC.jpeg

427C28C4-0699-4331-82DC-D359271244AA.jpeg

5059DE87-89BB-43FD-890C-48EB45EB5522.jpeg

• Like 1

Damn that is nice.  I'm going to order one of those.  I still have the AXP one on but I've had to trim it down because it was melting on the exhaust.   The other brand I've been hearing about lately is Molecule.  

It’s very strong but it’s a little thinner than the AXP.  They are only around $70.  The fit was perfect 

I got that one and sent it back. I don't want additional metal brackets when there are perfectly fine factory mounting points. My 2018 bike has an Acerbis skid that mounts the way I prefer. I don't know why they've reinvented the wheel. 

14 hours ago, nots0much said:

I got that one and sent it back. I don't want additional metal brackets when there are perfectly fine factory mounting points. My 2018 bike has an Acerbis skid that mounts the way I prefer. I don't know why they've reinvented the wheel. 

Did you return the Acerbis or the Molecule?  

15 hours ago, dew-3 said:

Did you return the Acerbis or the Molecule?  

Acerbis. Molecule looks good. I've ordered the TMD however. Very similar but the pictures make the TMD look like it has a less aggressive crease.