ThumperTalk

Video: 5 tips on how to scrub w/ Kris Keefer

Learning how to scrub can be a powerful tool to help shave time off your laps by getting your wheels back on the ground quickly so you can get back to twisting the throttle. James "Bubba" Stewart is credited with perfecting and bringing the scrub to the masses, and nowadays you will be hard pressed to watch any level of racing without seeing some variation of the scrub. In this video, we catch up with Kris Keefer as we get his top 5 tips for learning how to scrub the right way.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

Keefer is great and if this gets the chicks, then I am in... Super Senior MX class beware!

Edited by DEMI
  • Haha 1

That scrubs.....

Fact, you cannot make the bike go faster unless the wheels are on the ground

Air time may look good................... but it floats you at a reducing speed....................until you land......and you are twisting again.

Look good on the bike while riding...................OR............ look better smiling on the podium

4 hours ago, EarthCruzn said:

That scrubs.....

Air time may look good................... but it floats you at a reducing speed....................until you land......and you are twisting again.

Look good on the bike while riding...................OR............ look better smiling on the podium

An obstacle is just something you have to get over.

16 hours ago, EarthCruzn said:

That scrubs.....

While many recreational riders do it simply to show off,

the whole purpose of the scrub is to initially hit the jump faster and,

'scrub off' height gain from the rebounding suspension so you don't overshoot the landing ramp

which allows you to get back on the ground and on the gas sooner.

If pro MX riders bother doing it during a race, there is definitely a gain to performing it.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mlatour said:

While many recreational riders do it simply to show off,

the whole purpose of the scrub is to initially hit the jump faster and,

'scrub off' height gain from the rebounding suspension so you don't overshoot the landing ramp

which then allows you to get on the gas sooner again.

If pro MX riders bother doing it during a race, there is definitely a gain to performing it.

Yes, the more lean angle you can get the suspension on the face, the less compression and resulting rebound you have.  And as you eluded to, the quicker you can get back on the gas.  One obstacle may not be that much time savings, but does this on all obstacles, and there are your quicker lap-times.  It also helps you carry more speed without over jumping.

I'm old enough to have had a (not-quite-adequately) funded, public education, so I remember that old (but still 100% correct) rule not to use the word you're defining in the definition.  I watched this whole video having to guess at what "scrubbing" actually means.

Here is an actual explanation:

Scrubs & Whips

By the same token, I am old (and unskilled) enough that I'll just add "scrubbing" the (growing) list of riding techniques I will definitely not be attempting.  LOL

Edited by Read Valve

The bike will not gain speed when off the ground.

Jumping the obstacle be it a log or whoop or jump is still the same .

Approach........ engage......... and continue on.

How high you go is up to you.

How fast you land is up to the technique applied and again up to you.

This is simple stuff.........................just takes time to stop trying to get on the girls and get on the podium.

When I'll muster up enough courage to practice this technique, even as a purely recreational MX rider 'scrubbing' could be useful to me.

(51 years old, realistically considering myself an 'advanced novice' rather than an intermediate)

Over the years I've progressed in late braking, keeping momentum up thru corner which now sends me down straightaways faster,

hitting some single or tabletops (vet style MX tracks) jumps harder and sending me higher / farther than ever.

With the increased air time I can feel the drastic slow down while airborne,

being able to scrub off some height/distance without having to let off the gas too soon on the jump face would really make a difference.

Edited by mlatour