Jump to content
YankeeMike

Beta2Stroke 2017 250rr Base Gasket/dome clearance/squish

Recommended Posts

spacer.pngI bought a used 2017 250 and currently going thru it/setting up.  

 

pg 89 of manual suggests checking dome to tool/plate clearance(not sure what this test is called- deck height? dimension X for ktm?)... is this procedure to get the squish in the correct ballpark? 

 

would a solder squish test be better than measuring with the tool?  or are these two not related?

 

do I need the tool/plate?  I can get a hold of one but a PITA. 

 

what should I be aiming for with the squish measurement for a 250?  currently 1.75-1.78mm with a new .60mm gasket, 1.55-1.59 with a used .50mm gasket.

Edited by YankeeMike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive never used a plate tool, but I would assume its to replicate the head for measuring squish. I would just use rosin core solder. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just turned my XT into a 250 using a new piston and used cylinder....  I went with the .4mm base gasket and a Pro-X piston.  Just about got the jetting sorted and it it's running pretty darn good...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 5:11 AM, shortman said:

I just turned my XT into a 250 using a new piston and used cylinder....  I went with the .4mm base gasket and a Pro-X piston.  Just about got the jetting sorted and it it's running pretty darn good...  

What did you do with the old cylinder? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ud_Luz said:

What did you do with the old cylinder? 

Still have it...   I previously had (2) 300 cylinders and traded a fine young man from VA for his 250 jug, piston and ECU.  Just wanted to see how the 250 felt and it was much cheaper going this route than buying the whole bike...  And the second reason was to see if it would reduce the vibration some... The 300 would put my hands to sleep after a while.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, shortman said:

Still have it...   I previously had (2) 300 cylinders and traded a fine young man from VA for his 250 jug, piston and ECU.  Just wanted to see how the 250 felt and it was much cheaper going this route than buying the whole bike...  And the second reason was to see if it would reduce the vibration some... The 300 would put my hands to sleep after a while.  

So how does it feel, and does it reduce the vibration enough to matter? Did it lose any significant "XTness" to speak of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, shortman said:

Still have it...   I previously had (2) 300 cylinders and traded a fine young man from VA for his 250 jug, piston and ECU.  Just wanted to see how the 250 felt and it was much cheaper going this route than buying the whole bike...  And the second reason was to see if it would reduce the vibration some... The 300 would put my hands to sleep after a while.  

The vibration is kind of bad on the 300.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old Plonker said:

So how does it feel, and does it reduce the vibration enough to matter? Did it lose any significant "XTness" to speak of?

Yea...  I was shocked at how much it reduced the vibrations...  I mean it still vibrates, ALL 2 strokes vibrate, but it's quite a bit less than running the 300 top end...   After riding the 2020 XT and witnessing that new counterbalanced engine first hand I wanted one...   So this is just a way to try and justify keeping my bike for another year...

On the second question "loosing any significant XTness"....  I have been running a gnarly pipe w/S3 head and the PV all the way out for about a year...   So...  My bike was essentially a 300RR anyway....  But with that said....   Besides using a Pro-X piston instead of the OEM it's now, basically, a stock 250RR in a smaller frame.  I'm using the stock 250 head and ECU.....     I honestly don't notice a big power difference...  Mostly way down low, when lugging, the 250 is just a little softer but once on the pipe I think I actually prefer the 250 power....   I did 2 demo day rides last year where in the spring I rode 2019 model bikes and then in the fall they came back thru and I rode the 2020s...   Both times I liked the 250 better than the 300 so that's probably a "me" thing....   

Also...  With me saying I "want" a 2020 X-Trainer...   Well I would also REALLY like to have a 200.  So, in my mind, making my bike into a 250 "kinda" gives me a little of both...  LoL...  If that makes sens to y'all    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, shortman said:

...Also...  With me saying I "want" a 2020 X-Trainer...   Well I would also REALLY like to have a 200.  So, in my mind, making my bike into a 250 "kinda" gives me a little of both...  LoL...  If that makes sens to y'all    

It does, sort of like how I'd really like to have a 200XT with frame further scaled down, not so much in size as in weight, and able to do with the engine what you have done with your XT (Gnarly swap and P/V tweak to go fairly quickly between mild and wild). Or maybe the 200RR is already the bike I want and I just don't know it yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Old Plonker said:

It does, sort of like how I'd really like to have a 200XT with frame further scaled down, not so much in size as in weight, and able to do with the engine what you have done with your XT (Gnarly swap and P/V tweak to go fairly quickly between mild and wild). Or maybe the 200RR is already the bike I want and I just don't know it yet!

You really need to ride a 200....  It just might be "that" bike!

If / when I sell my XT it's gonna be a hard decision between a counterbalenced XT or a 200rr as the replacement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...