Shaun Hadlington

Beta2Stroke Beta rr 250 speedometer not coming on with engine start.

Hi,

i have recently bought a 2014 250 rr but it did not come with a speedo. I bought one from beta Uk but now fitted when I start the bike it doesn’t come on unless I press the button on the screen. The speedo also doesn’t work, would anyone happen to know why it’s not coming on?

The speedo should work then. The speedo counts the pulses as the magnet shuts the pickup switch and converts them to a speedo reading. Having said that, the pickups are a weak point and are silly expensive as spares.

You can check the speedo and pickup pretty simply. For the pickup, connect a meter on resistance across the pickup connector and spin the front wheel. You should see that the resistance drops to zero as the magnet passes the pickup. For the speedo, use a length of wire across the pickup connector and make and break a connection to mimic the pickup switch opening and closing. That should cause the speedo to register something although the numbers will be pretty random.

Having said all that, I've just had a replacement speedo and pickup under warranty for my 2020 200RR from Lampkins so the units are not 100% bulletproof.

I'm just south of Sheffield if I can help, mate.

There will be a power feed to it when the engine is running, it will come from the common rectified DC feed that serves stuff like the indicators, horn and lights.

There should be a wiring diagramme in your owner's manual and you can download one from Beta UK's website if you don't have one. I had a 2013 300RR so I'll have a shufti at the manual for that. The connections are pretty simple and I think the connectors are all different sizes so you can't connect them up wrong.

Skip to the bold section below for my suggested answer.  Everything else is background and reference etc.

The 2014 speedo was made for Beta USA by Trail Tech.  It's basically a Trail Tech Endurance II speedo in a red plastic housing with additional indicator lights in the bezel for Beta-the specific functions of headlight high beam and turn signal indication.  There are two electrical connectors: One is a 3-wire connector that powers the speedometer from stator-powered 12 VDC fed via the regulator rectifier, and also connects to the speedo pickup sensor on the front wheel.  The other 4-wire connector includes one ground wire and 3 hot wires that power headlight high beam and turn signal indicators.

The speedo has a little CR2032 button battery for memory and settings backup, as do other Trail Tech speedos.  It will power the speedo for a realtively short period if bike voltage isn't available, but was never intended to operate the speedo full time inlieu of bike voltage.  Trail Tech documentation suggests that the speedo power wire should be connected to the bike's 12 battery, but Beta chose to power the speedo from stator-powered voltage, which means they created a scenario where the speedo is sometimes forced to run off the little button battery only... which of course drains it down pretty quickly.

Any of these three things will turn on the speedo:

1. Push one of the speedo buttons, which wakes the speedo up.  In this case it is only powered by the little CR2032 button battery.
  2. Roll the bike, or turn the front wheel, which wakes the speedo up.  In this case it is only powered by the little CR2032 button battery.
  3. Start the bike's motor, which powers the speedo via the green wire in the 3-wire connector. (The brown wire is ground, and the white wire goes to the wheel revolution sensor.)

If your CR2032 battery is good, and your speedo won't start via either #2 or #3 above, then the problem is likely a poor electrical connection at the 3-wire electrical connector behind the speedo.  A dab of dielectric grease will usually clear this up.

FWIW I ride in mountainous country, sometimes with 4000' to 5000' elevation change, so I sometimes like to turn my engine off and coast on long downhill sections.  On some rides this can be 1/3 or more of my mileage, so extends my fuel range quite a bit.  My first year on my 2016 I was going through the little CR2032 batteries like crazy.  After reading Trail Tech's installation instructions for their similar Endurance II model I ran a wire back to the fused side of the battery and powered the speedo directly from the battery.  In the 3 years and almost 300 riding hours since then I've only had to replace the CR2032 battery once.

Hope this helps.

As miltonyz said, the brown wire in the 3 way connector is needed as it is the 0V ground connection. The green wire in the same connector should give you +12V to feed the speedo unit but only when the engine is running. The white is the feed from the pickup. The 4 way connector is for the warning lights (indicators, high beam etc) and can be ignored for the time being.

What I suspect is happening is that the unit is running off the internal battery and that just does the backlight and clock. The speedo function needs the full 12V and the engine needs to be running.

Looks like @wwguy types much faster than me!

The tip around wiring the speedo to the battery is interesting and I may try it. I am already using half the redundant indictator wiring to allow me to switch the rear light off and I may use the other half to provide 12V to the speedo and save the battery life.

Edited by Hubert Carpet

3 hours ago, Hubert Carpet said:

The tip around wiring the speedo to the battery is interesting and I may try it.

FWIW my bike is a 2016, which was the first year Beta installed the "diode pack" to isolate the 12 Battery to the starter circuit only.  The reason I ran the dedicated wire from speedo to battery was to bypass the diode pack, as shown in my crude image below.

I just looked at the 2014 wiring diagram again on Beta USA support site and see that the bikes 12V battery should already be connected into the same harness that feeds power to the speedo.  So my mod shouldn't be necessary for 2015 and earlier bikes.

Sorry for any confusion I created.

Red mark below is the new wire I ran on my 2016.  Blue marks are where I cut the existing wire so I wouldn't be bypassing the diode's battery isolation function.

spacer.png

So I have a found that the speedo cable 2 pin connector is just really dodgy but after cleaning it seems to be working ok now. However it is still not coming on with start up. More investigating required. One question tho, on the wiring diagram what does it mean when several lines go to a point?