2020 Beta 500 RR-S Review UltimateMotorcycling

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2019/12/24/2020-beta-500-rr-s-review-italian-dual-sport-motorcycle-23-fast-facts/

*The 478cc dual-cam engine delivers a power character that is nothing short of fantastic.

*The new ZF Sachs suspension works exceptionally well, right out of the box. 

*This is arguably the best bone-stock high-performance dual-sport bike we’ve ever ridden.

2020-Beta-500-RR-S-Review-dual-sport-motorcycle-7-400x266.jpg.51fd3c05255a706f88fdf17d2fa4261a.jpg

• Like 3

I rode a new 500 RR-S at the dealer intro in Ohio.  I think Beta is onto something in terms of agility with the revised crank position in the all new chassis and the short stroke motor on the 2020 500RS (and 480 RE)....those bikes work very well out of the box as noted in the Ulitmatemotorcycling.com review.

• Like 2

Bike and specs sound outstanding...BUT a dual-sport bike that only gets about 40-42 mpg with a 2.4 gallon tank for at best a 100 mile range just would not cut it for our long cross-country off road rides in BFE.... guess for now my WR250R with 3 gal tank and 70 mpg will stay my ride....do love the features on Beta but not unless the mpg is improved...

Edited by Wallowa

My new one should arrive soon. I did BYOB with the correct springs for my weight 200 LBS + Rekluse & Scotts unit. I've been riding my CA plated 2006 CR450x for the last 10 years and it has been a great bike. I've Rebuilt it 3 times bottom up. I'm due a brand new ride and it should arrive on my 61st birthday around Jan 20th and I can wait.

• Like 9
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Wallowa said:

Bike and specs sound outstanding...BUT a dual-sport bike that only gets about 40-42 mpg with a 2.4 gallon tank for at best a 100 mile range just would not cut it for our long cross-country off road rides in BFE.... guess for now my WR250R with 3 gal tank and 70 mpg will stay my ride....do love the features on Beta but not unless the mpg is improved...

New design... big tanks will be designed and  sold in time.  This sounds like every new Beta that comes out since first gen 2005-2009 Beta enduros. Big tanks come out later.. no big deal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, king-dez said:

My new one should arrive soon. I did BYOB with the correct springs for my weight 200 LBS + Rekluse & Scotts unit. I've been riding my CA plated 2006 CR450x for the last 10 years and it has been a great bike. I've Rebuilt it 3 times bottom up. I'm due a brand new ride and it should arrive on my 61st birthday around Jan 20th and I can wait.

Happy Birthday!!!  Yea go get um!!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

New design... big tanks will be designed and  sold in time.  This sounds like every new Beta that comes out since first gen 2005-2009 Beta enduros. Big tanks come out later.. no big deal. 

Yes...I understand the performance vs mpg tug of war....but adding a larger tank adds weight [and sometimes extra fuel pump] and affects handling [CG] but of course if you need the extra miles you need to carry fuel somewhere...in a custom tank is best but still a severe trade off if you hope to get close to 200 miles between fuel stops and only can count on 42 mpg....

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Wallowa said:

Yes...I understand the performance vs mpg tug of war....but adding a larger tank adds weight [and sometimes extra fuel pump] and affects handling [CG] but of course if you need the extra miles you need to carry fuel somewhere...in a custom tank is best but still a severe trade off if you hope to get close to 200 miles between fuel stops and only can count on 42 mpg....

Well that’s always been the trade off. Really Betas are still street legal dirt/race bikes not dual sports . So it’s figure out a way to have enough fuel for the chosen long runs. There are threads on this that have come up already for this in the past. 

200 miles is pretty far..

Some old tanks..

https://www.google.com/search?q=Beta+rally+tank&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-us&client=safari

https://www.google.com/search?q=+beta+big+tank+500+rr&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiEvaiRgv3mAhWLgp4KHeG-ABwQ2-cCegQIABAC&oq=+beta+big+tank+500+rr&gs_l=mobile-gws-wiz-img.12...25443.27931..29105...0.0..0.157.1738.0j12......0....1.........35i304i39.npWWP2rb0bs&ei=n4QaXsTxG4uF-gTh_YLgAQ&bih=714&biw=414&client=safari&prmd=sinv&hl=en-us

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

man, i seen this review just earlier today. I am getting a 500 rr-s. I can no longer find a reason not to. I have been following so many battery type issues but it seems it was more a harness issue than anything else and I think that is fixed with the my20. The only thing I haven't found an explanation for yet is why when giving it gas (twisting throttle) the volts go down. Makes me think when riding bike battery would NOT be charging?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bradje said:

man, i seen this review just earlier today. I am getting a 500 rr-s. I can no longer find a reason not to. I have been following so many battery type issues but it seems it was more a harness issue than anything else and I think that is fixed with the my20. The only thing I haven't found an explanation for yet is why when giving it gas (twisting throttle) the volts go down. Makes me think when riding bike battery would NOT be charging?

If I were to go buy a new 500 now I’d get a Beta considering all the different 500’s available. I think it’s the best and it’s cheaper and it looks nicer and the warranty is best . The type of power is how I like it. Lots, torquey, linear ...Betas handle real well. You can have it custom made for you. No other brand has the options Beta has. . If you see a better bike then buy it. Life is short. 

It’s weird to me that the article compared a honda 450 and a Beta 500.  I also don’t bite that a taller Beta is better for someone 5’9”. Im 6’1” and still rather have the lower seat height. It’s still lower than ktm by an inch but I liked it lower. Bike is beautiful. I guess the dual injectors and other goodies make the bike better. 500 class basically is between ktm and Beta. Both good but listing pro and con Beta wins pretty easily I think. It’s pretty awesome that we have these great choices for bikes to buy and ride.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, king-dez said:

SWEET!

12 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

It’s weird to me that the article compared a honda 450 and a Beta 500.  I also don’t bite that a taller Beta is better for someone 5’9”. Im 6’1” and still rather have the lower seat height. It’s still lower than ktm by an inch but I liked it lower. Bike is beautiful. I guess the dual injectors and other goodies make the bike better. 500 class basically is between ktm and Beta. Both good but listing pro and con Beta wins pretty easily I think. It’s pretty awesome that we have these great choices for bikes to buy and ride.  

Best time to be alive as a dirt rider.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

If I were to go buy a new 500 now I’d get a Beta considering all the different 500’s available. I think it’s the best and it’s cheaper and it looks nicer and the warranty is best . The type of power is how I like it. Lots, torquey, linear ...Betas handle real well. You can have it custom made for you. No other brand has the options Beta has. . If you see a better bike then buy it. Life is short. 

Ride one of these, if you have the opportunity. 

https://www.swm-motorcycles.it/models/rs-500-r/

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TraderVic said:

Ride one of these, if you have the opportunity. 

https://www.swm-motorcycles.it/models/rs-500-r/

None here. That’s the old cagiva Husky design right? Price supposed to be good price right?? Forgot about these . Well none here yet I think?

12 minutes ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

None here. That’s the old cagiva Husky design right? Price supposed to be good price right?? Forgot about these . Well none here yet I think?

Yes. Basically a 2014 501, as I understand it.  KYB at both ends. I was only allowed to ride it around the parking lot, but SOTP it feels firm and balanced with an even more linear power delivery than the Beta. Quality looks as good as anything.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2020-Swm-RS-500-R-5009788207

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TraderVic said:

Yes. Basically a 2014 501, as I understand it.  KYB at both ends. I was only allowed to ride it around the parking lot, but SOTP it feels firm and balanced with an even more linear power delivery than the Beta. Quality looks as good as anything.

https://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2020-Swm-RS-500-R-5009788207

What’s the company like? Solid? Warranty? Don’t want another Gasgas scenario. Maybe swm ought to buy Gasgas enduro now. KTM is eliminating the current Gasgas bikes  and putting gasgas stickers on ktms for the future. I like Beta for the company and how it’s backed up it’s products too. Bikes are just part of the package. The great thing about swm is that great price.. but is the price worth it? Maybe if more is known about the company and if I could even just see an swm. 

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to 2020 Beta 500 RR-S Review UltimateMotorcycling