freeride6611

2019 ktm 300 xc cylinder damage at 0.2hr?? help!

1 hour ago, Chevy_97 said:

The yamaha chain guide tabs are notorious for breaking, especially on the thumpers. It actually tends to peel the whole weld off the swingarm. I wish BPD made a guard for them like they do for the KTM's...

I don't know about the thumpers because i don't ride them. But I must be the lucky one who never had that problem with the 6 yzs I've owned with thousands of hours of riding time on them.

• Like 1

Chain guide tabs? I've never heard of those breaking on any yzs.

You sh*tting me? If 'any' bike is bad for busting the chain guide mounts it 'is' the Yamaha. Thin little brackets that are barely tacked on to begin with.

3 hours ago, Clutch44 said:

I don't know about the thumpers because i don't ride them. But I must be the lucky one who never had that problem with the 6 yzs I've owned with thousands of hours of riding time on them.

It all depends on the terrain and how much of a beating it takes. Of course luck is a factor as well. I'm just saying if you had put those thousands of hours on a KTM instead it wouldn't have been anymore susceptible to breaking the tabs.

I ride a lot of rocks and I've yet to break one on the 3 yz250's and 3 ktm's I've owned. I don't have a tab guard on either of my current bikes, but I'd put one on my YZ before my KTM. I did the 450f swingarm conversion though, and they seem more prone to breaking vs the stock YZ swingarm. 

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

11 hours ago, freeride6611 said:

ha i had a good laugh with this.. but this is my problem i cant reach in to see if its superficial or acutal scoring.. nor do i feel like i should have to pull the head off to check at 0.2 hours. but if i have to i will!!! i was talking with my sales dude who is part owner of the dealership i bought my bike from. he was off for the weekend and they are closed till Tuesday.  But he did say i should have my bike ready to bring to there shop. but he just wants to talk to his service guys on tuesday! 

As for the reeds i was planning on upgrading to the V force reeds  but was hoping to get a few hours on the bike to make sure i like the 2 stroke over the 4 stroke bikes first lol.. but its currently -38c out side and riding a dirt bike isnt the best option for a couple of more months

Honestly i bleed orange and i hope this is just minor problem mixed with some 2 stroke inexperience. i have had2 other ktms with well over 200 hours each. all of which major issue free.  

But just want to say thanks to everyone!!  and i will have a update for what happens tomorrow and if the bike ends up in the shop or not!!

Sorry, did not want to annoy you but I could not resist. Joking aside, I know how boring this is. Its the uncertainty. But you did the right thing and as your sales dude said to bring it in, all will be good. My personal opinion is, that those marks are nothing to worry about. Did I say that I NEVER (again) look into the exhaust/inlet ports? I did once and pulled the barrel but it was pointless. Since that day I have never looked into the cylinder.

I dont bleed orange and I hate uniforms btw. Even if they are white ;)

If it is a TPI you will love it as its torque and power curves are very similar to a four stroke (which I am not excited about, I am two stroke nerd).

Let us know how the story ends please.

Cheers Doc

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shrubitup said:

YZ doesn’t have a exhaust flange like a ktm. Ktm exhaust flanges break because the pipe is ridiculously exposed for off road riding. Beta pipe be tucked away nicely since 2013. 

I never ever had an exh. flange borken on my two stroke KTM's. Even in a super hard crash at about 100 k's where the bike flew into a concrete wall so that the exhaust was separated from the bike completely the flange survived. I then had the brilliant idea and installed a KTM PP carbon pipe protector to protect my new pipe.

A week later I dropped the bike and the pipe hit a bump hard. The carbon protector worked and the pipe didnt even have a small dent but the result you see below 

ffor.jpg

• Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/12/2020 at 10:29 PM, bweighmaster said:

Good luck with that ,  The hype is just that ....      I'll  take a Chinese bike over a  ktm ...    I do have a China  bike ,  not any problems , just have to get used to the high compression ....  bear to start ..    they do make an ignition module to combat this , but have not ordered it yet .    As for the ktm ,  afraid to start it because something always breaks ......   nobody wants it anyway ,  guess they are as advertised ,  built to race ,......   did'nt know it was just one race .....

I have 4 ktms and sold many others, they are built to race many races, and they are by far the most popular woods bike out there now, they must be doing something right. As far as getting money back that guy will get almost all it back even if he sells it 2 years later. I hope you like your Chinese bike because nobody will ever think of buying it, in fact I don't think I've ever seen a chinese bike, and lets see you race that chinese bike.

• Like 3

On 1/12/2020 at 10:29 PM, bweighmaster said:

Good luck with that ,  The hype is just that ....      I'll  take a Chinese bike over a  ktm ...    I do have a China  bike ,  not any problems , just have to get used to the high compression ....  bear to start ..    they do make an ignition module to combat this , but have not ordered it yet .    As for the ktm ,  afraid to start it because something always breaks ......   nobody wants it anyway ,  guess they are as advertised ,  built to race ,......   did'nt know it was just one race .....

oof...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jeffrey sisti said:

I have 4 ktms and sold many others, they are built to race many races, and they are by far the most popular woods bike out there now, they must be doing something right. As far as getting money back that guy will get almost all it back even if he sells it 2 years later. I hope you like your Chinese bike because nobody will ever think of buying it, in fact I don't think I've ever seen a chinese bike, and lets see you race that chinese bike.

It is not a race bike ,  it is a trail bike ,   Well made ,  dependable , good looking .  Bought it just to try it  , I have Serious bikes , all sizes , brands ,   No more  ktm crap ,  I'll stick with my  Honda's , Kaw's , Suzi's , Yammie's ,   ALL dependable , easy to repair , parts a plenty ,   Order parts ,  Suprise ,   they fit ,   ride for month's , years between repair ...  just simple maintanence ..  just a few pics ,  I have many more .     Last 2  China bike .....

20200108_135522.jpg

20200103_163629.jpg

20191203_131206.jpg

20191124_162105.jpg

20190813_131455.jpg

20190808_125228.jpg

20190706_174537.jpg

20190706_171826.jpg

20200112_232357.jpg

20190805_150946.jpg

20190805_150828.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

. I then had the brilliant idea and installed a KTM PP carbon pipe protector to protect my new pipe.

Carbon fiber pipe protection worked a lil too well there. Usually they just push the pipe up into the front fender (a would be dented pipe becomes a significantly bent pipe). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bweighmaster said:

No more  ktm crap ,  I'll stick with my

If you dislike KTM so much, why are you hanging out in a KTM forum? Seems like you could spend your valuable time in Chinese bike forums or something.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, shrubitup said:

Carbon fiber pipe protection worked a lil too well there. Usually they just push the pipe up into the front fender (a would be dented pipe becomes a significantly bent pipe). 

Yes Sir! I don't use pipe protectors anymore and in the meantime I understand the pipe as a wear and tear part. Small dents don bother me, what I hate is when the pipe is bent back and touches the frame. Once the neck is bent you can throw the pipe in the bin. I keep knocking on wood, so far I destroyed just two in 5 years...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Yes Sir! I don't use pipe protectors anymore and in the meantime I understand the pipe as a wear and tear part. Small dents don bother me, what I hate is when the pipe is bent back and touches the frame. Once the neck is bent you can throw the pipe in the bin. I keep knocking on wood, so far I destroyed just two in 5 years...

Wear item for sure.  I keep a few backups on the shelf.  People sell their “crappy” OEM pipes cheap, and I snatch them up.  No pipe guards for me either.  Dents don’t bother me one bit.  My flange with a flange protector survived intact!  My bike ran like garbage with that kink though  

D5C91A31-F473-4971-8A9C-9D152651E67A.jpeg

Edited by Poldies
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I like the flatland racing pipe guard it fits better than the generic ones of that type but those "fingers" can be left to stick out off the pipe a bit or you can hammer them down for a more snug fit, but I think they would give a little and help absorb impacts vs. bending the pipe at the neck or damaging the flange. 

8 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I never ever had an exh. flange borken on my two stroke KTM's. Even in a super hard crash at about 100 k's where the bike flew into a concrete wall so that the exhaust was separated from the bike completely the flange survived. I then had the brilliant idea and installed a KTM PP carbon pipe protector to protect my new pipe.

A week later I dropped the bike and the pipe hit a bump hard. The carbon protector worked and the pipe didnt even have a small dent but the result you see below

I'd speculate that the crash that was so severe as to knock the pipe off did most of the damage, and the next hit just finished it off. In any case, might want to check out the flange protectors. Used to be a Trail Tech product, but KTM hardparts has ripped off the design now and TT no longer makes them.

Edited by jeb

3 minutes ago, jeb said:

I'd speculate that the crash that was so severe as to knock the pipe off did most of the damage, and the next hit just finished it off. In any case, might want to check out the flange protectors. Used to be a Trail Tech product, but KTM hardparts has ripped off the design now and TT no longer makes them.

Tusk makes them now too. 

2 hours ago, jeb said:

If you dislike KTM so much, why are you hanging out in a KTM forum? Seems like you could spend your valuable time in Chinese bike forums or something.

I like reading about all the failures you seem to have ,  and push your buttons ............

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, bweighmaster said:

I like reading about all the failures you seem to have ,  and push your buttons ............

Me thinkest thou doth protest too much. I think you really just want to get rid of your fleet of rice grinders and join the Orange Army.

13 minutes ago, jeb said:

Me thinkest thou doth protest too much. I think you really just want to get rid of your fleet of rice grinders and join the Orange Army.

NOT ....   love my Jap bikes ,  and the China bike too .    China  bike for sale ,  ktm also ..   My bet ,  the China bike sells first ...       No bites at all on ktm ......    No takers because , No dealers , or parts suppliers nearby ...

Just now, bweighmaster said:

NOT ....   love my Jap bikes ,  and the China bike too .    China  bike for sale ,  ktm also ..   My bet ,  the China bike sells first ...       No bites at all on ktm ......    No takers because , No dealers , or parts suppliers nearby ...

Hows the parts support for the china bike? I did they rip off enough of the design so you can use parts from Japanese bikes?