TheSnide

What beginner event to sign up for in 2020?

My 13yr old son and I want to sign up for our first ever group ride / beginner low key race and any other fun event.   I've been looking at starvation ridge.  I don't know the difference between a hare scramble and GNCC, etc.   I'd like it to be in Washington State.   What would you guys suggest?

Shelton enduro

Are they running it this year? I don’t see any dates posted on the club website.

7 hours ago, Slackkinhard said:

Shelton enduro

The Saturday beginner enduro is great for first timers. It's going to be a lot more layed back then Sunday. Also the poker run they put on is great. 

4 hours ago, HHey said:

Are they running it this year? I don’t see any dates posted on the club website.

First weekend in May. Look on the NMA calendar.

5 hours ago, HHey said:

Might be the time keeper on 5/3? Nma enduro series Round 2 event at Shelton. 

18 hours ago, TheSnide said:

My 13yr old son and I want to sign up for our first ever group ride / beginner low key race and any other fun event.   I've been looking at starvation ridge.  I don't know the difference between a hare scramble and GNCC, etc.   I'd like it to be in Washington State.   What would you guys suggest?

Hare scramble is a 1.5 hr short course or 2.5hr long course. Like any motocross or supercross race but way longer. Everyone in that class lines up and the person to complete the most laps after said time wins. To my knowledge GNCC works the same. 
Enduros have test sections that are scored. A small section that the judges can see or walk along the course and you are scored on time and how many times your foot hits the ground, or you go from one point that they log your start time and go down a course and they log your finish time at the end and your points are done that way. your starts for each lap beinging on time will also determines your finishing position. 

• Like 1

@dangerranger thanks! I think it sounds like what we’re after is a poker run? We don’t really know how to jump and have never really ridden in a group. We can handle wet rooty hill climbs and everything else. We can jump mountain bikes better than most just haven’t really tried on a moto. I think this spring summer and fall we’re going all in on moto! Another person mentioned rimrock and said Starvation Ridge has huge jumps. What do you guys think about those two?

20 minutes ago, TheSnide said:

@dangerranger thanks! I think it sounds like what we’re after is a poker run? We don’t really know how to jump and have never really ridden in a group. We can handle wet rooty hill climbs and everything else. We can jump mountain bikes better than most just haven’t really tried on a moto. I think this spring summer and fall we’re going all in on moto! Another person mentioned rimrock and said Starvation Ridge has huge jumps. What do you guys think about those two?

Heres a fun video of a guy on a TW  (first timer) on a poker run. Should give you some idea of what to inspect. HAVE FUN!

Starvation Ridge does NOT have huge jumps. It is a 10 to 15 mile offroad course with some bumps/drops to get airborne, but no huge air jumps. Starts are by class, many skill classes from AA,expert,amateur, and beginner. A good race is our 6 hour team race at Eddieville. Jumps are not do or die, you can run a 15-20 minute lap and trade off, or run 2 or 3 laps at a time. 2 to 6 person teams. Most run 2 or 3. Check out our website for info/schedule at www.overthebarsgang.com

Dangerranger is a bit confused between observed trials ( where you navigate numbered sections, staying between ribbons and not putting your foot down, stopping, falling, or going outside the ribbons.Scored by a juge as you go through a section oneat a time. It's like golf, a low score is better than added penalty points. Speed is not a necessity, normally walking pace.

Enduro is maintaining an average time through tough terrain and loosing points if you go too slow or too fast.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Scoott said:

Dangerranger is a bit confused between observed trials ( where you navigate numbered sections, staying between ribbons and not putting your foot down, stopping, falling, or going outside the ribbons.Scored by a juge as you go through a section oneat a time. It's like golf, a low score is better than added penalty points. Speed is not a necessity, normally walking pace.

Enduro is maintaining an average time through tough terrain and loosing points if you go too slow or too fast.

Timekeeper enduros are scored on arriving to early or late to the next checkpoint on the designated course. The last nma enduro I did was the webfoot in September. That event was scored on your lap starts being on time. Time given at check-in. Then they had 2 sections that was a timed from one checkpoint to the next each lap and then the long course had a 3rd lap with 3 test sections. I think each MC does them differently unless it’s an ISDE. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dangerranger1973 said:

Timekeeper enduros are scored on arriving to early or late to the next checkpoint on the designated course. The last nma enduro I did was the webfoot in September. That event was scored on your lap starts being on time. Time given at check-in. Then they had 2 sections that was a timed from one checkpoint to the next each lap and then the long course had a 3rd lap with 3 test sections. I think each MC does them differently unless it’s an ISDE. 

I think they are calling it Sprint Enduro

• Like 1

NMA has several different types listed for 2020: Timekeeper, ISDE, Sprint Enduro, and Scramble. I have no idea what the differences are. I thought ISDE and Sprint Enduro were basically the same? And WTF is a Scramble?

2 hours ago, jrodicus100 said:

NMA has several different types listed for 2020: Timekeeper, ISDE, Sprint Enduro, and Scramble. I have no idea what the differences are. I thought ISDE and Sprint Enduro were basically the same? And WTF is a Scramble?

Enduro scramble and sprint enduro are the same thing. You basically ride a pre-determined number of laps, and you are timed each lap...so essentially you ride as fast as you can. You can take breaks between laps.

ISDE are generally a single loop with transfer sections and special test sections. The transfer section is just to get to the special test sections. In the special test sections you ride as fast as you can and are scored on your times in the special tests.

Edited by Wiz636
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 9:42 PM, guns_equal_freedom said:

The Desert 100. 

13 year old? Pretty sure you need a drivers license and MC endorsement for the DS ride. 

I would recommend the D-100 Poker Run, which is on Saturday before the race. Lots of kids on this.  You can leave when ever you want to into the PR route with in the opening and closing of the entrance to the course. No racing, just riding. Different terrain though, can be a bit nasty in places just because of the lava rock. Lots of vids on D-100 so you can see what the terrain is like. If you do the poker run you should get on the course fairly early in case there are bottle necks you want to avoid them, but late enough you arrive at the free hot dogs right before they open up.

Edited by Tye Durden
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, Tye Durden said:

13 year old? Pretty sure you need a drivers license and MC endorsement for the DS ride.

Yes, I didn't see that. Thanks!
https://stumpjumpers.org/sjmc/events-and-races/desert100/desert-100-faq/

Q: How difficult is the family poker run? What about the Ironman?
A: We have plenty of small children that complete the course on their 50s. However, there are some tough sections that parents will likely need to help their children on small bikes. The Ironman course is very similar to the family course with extra mileage containing more technical sections. The Ironmen will complete two loops.

• Like 1

The track at Eddieville, if that's included in the Starvation ridge course, is very beginner friendly. Im not an mx guy and i had no qualms launching off any of it. Have fun!
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 6:45 PM, Scoott said:

Starvation Ridge does NOT have huge jumps. It is a 10 to 15 mile offroad course with some bumps/drops to get airborne, but no huge air jumps. Starts are by class, many skill classes from AA,expert,amateur, and beginner. A good race is our 6 hour team race at Eddieville. Jumps are not do or die, you can run a 15-20 minute lap and trade off, or run 2 or 3 laps at a time. 2 to 6 person teams. Most run 2 or 3. Check out our website for info/schedule at www.overthebarsgang.com

Dangerranger is a bit confused between observed trials ( where you navigate numbered sections, staying between ribbons and not putting your foot down, stopping, falling, or going outside the ribbons.Scored by a juge as you go through a section oneat a time. It's like golf, a low score is better than added penaltpoints. Speed is not a necessity, normally walking pace.

Thanks for the info.  On your calendar do the "playdays" allow people to ride the starvation ridge course?

20 minutes ago, TheSnide said:

Thanks for the info.  On your calendar do the "playdays" allow people to ride the starvation ridge course?

I'd ask Scoott over on this thread...

Edited by Tye Durden
  • Like 1