TheSnide

What beginner event to sign up for in 2020?

rimrock is an amazing family fun event, riding and camping all weekend up in the mnts, ive done starvation, eddieville, desert 100, stix and stones silver mountain enduro, horn rapids hare scramble etc, rimrock grand prix is hands down the best event ive been to, for family and kid riding.

• Like 2

I'd ask Scoott over on this thread...

Thanks. We’re doing at least one of these this year. My son is nervous, but not as nervous as I am. Good to get out of your comfort zone

26 minutes ago, TheSnide said:

Thanks. We’re doing at least one of these this year. My son is nervous, but not as nervous as I am. Good to get out of your comfort zone

I think getting him out to an event with a bunch of other kids will be good, who knows he might meet some riding buddies to ride with in the future.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SeeryalPostur said:
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 3:59 PM, TheSnide said:
@dangerranger thanks! I think it sounds like what we’re after is a poker run? We don’t really know how to jump and have never really ridden in a group. We can handle wet rooty hill climbs and everything else. We can jump mountain bikes better than most just haven’t really tried on a moto. I think this spring summer and fall we’re going all in on moto! Another person mentioned rimrock and said Starvation Ridge has huge jumps. What do you guys think about those two?

Read more  

The track at Eddieville, if that's included in the Starvation ridge course, is very beginner friendly. Im not an mx guy and i had no qualms launching off any of it. Have fun!

Eddieville and Starvation Ridge are 2 different tracks located 10 miles apart.

• Like 2

Eddieville and Starvation Ridge are 2 different tracks located 10 miles apart.
Yeah i couldn't ever figure that out, having only attended events at Eddieville, but everyone refers to them like they're adjacent. That's quite a drive up from Eugene!

I have been racing in Washington on and off since I was 14. In Washington we have a wide variety of great events to choose from. I started with a harescrambles event put on by the StumpJumpers (same club that runs the D100). They always have amazing events.

The D100 poker run is pretty family friendly but the crowd is huge and can be intimidating.

Team Tortoise puts on a good harescrambles series known as the NORCS. They are fun and draw a big competitive, crowd which can be intimidating. In fact, its almost reminiscent of the moto crowd.

I would highly recommend checking out the Grays Harbor Summer Sprint Enduro Series. I heard they are planning one race in May, June and July. Sprint enduros are fun and less intimidating than a harescrambles since you usually only go out with 3-4 guys on your minute and can take a break between laps. The Grays Harbor ORV series doesn't draw a huge crowd which makes it a fun family friendly event. Plus, you can camp and hit trails in Capitol Forest.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheSnide said:

Thanks for the info.  On your calendar do the "playdays" allow people to ride the starvation ridge course?

We only run 2 playdays at StarvationRidge. First is May 3rd, the day after our 12 hr team race. 2nd is September 27th,day after our 6hr team race warm-up for our 25hr  October 31&Nov. 1st.

All the rest are at Eddieville, 10 miles away.

• Like 1