quadrunner 250 no electrical

hey folks, dont normally venture into the atv side of the forums. But im in need of some help.

I have a 1987 or 88 suzuki quadrunner 250  2 wheel drive.  the little beast has been working awesome until this morning when i went to take my wee lad for a tour.  Bare with me here,  went to start the bike and it rolled over as usual. it fired and quit, when i went to e-start it again there was no go on the button. pulled out the meter and the battery tested good. charged it just to be positive. tried again still nothing on the button, then i noticed the neutral light wasnt on and when i turned the key ahead to the next step for the lights they wouldnt work anymore either.  I can pull start the motor and it runs fine  but still no lights.    fuses are good under the front cowling beside the battery.    i did notice 2 ,maybe 3 times i tried the start button i would get a buzz sound from little relay beside the starter solenoid ( both directly behind battery).  but im sorta baffled as to why there is no pwer to the lights or the starter minus the couple times i got that buzzing sound

thanks for any help   it sounds confusing    thats why im asking hahha

I agree with checking the key switch out. I'd also suggest inspecting the wires that the fuses connect to. They are near the battery so sometimes corrosion gets to them, even when the fuse itself is fine. Other then that, old Suzuki quads have issues with voltage regulators failing.

I’m getting 12v to the connector for the key switch. I’m assuming the key is pooched. I can’t find a diagram that shows the switch wiring. To test it out for sure

You can bypass the switch by making a wire jumper. With the switch disconnected, plug it into the power side and connect to the one that gives you a neutral light. The other wires in the connector are for the headlights. This allows you to start the engine if nothing else is wrong.

On older Suzuki ATV's the red wire is power and you connect it to the orange wire to complete the circuit.

Edited by doug the slug

IMG_4240.JPG

Ok so if I ground out the wiring harness and put a loop wire from red to orange the estart works. I can also put power to the grey wire and get lights. But if I hook up the new ( ebay) let switch I get nothing but a click out of the relay. Any thoughts ?

It looks like you have a possible bad ground. In the photo it looks like the ground is wired directly to the battery - once the switch is used, the ground is taking a different path.

Yes. The only way it will work right now is if I ground directly from the key switch connection plug. Directly to battery ground

Guess I’ll start looking for a broken wire somewhere