I am currently restoring a 1975 Honda XR75, and I have gotten to the point where I need to look at redoing the cases, and cylinder aesthetically. The original XR75 had a painted engine judging from the pictures. I've researched it, and It was painted using a color called cloud silver. However, in almost every forum I have looked at, they say to under no circumstances, paint an engine (cases, cylinder, head, etc). Is painting possible? I am shooting for the original 1975 look, but if painting is not an option, what about polishing to chrome? I am familiar with polishing and have done it many times before, but on the XR the air cooled engine has lots of fins. How would one polish in between the fins to get a nice looking chrome cylinder? I have already sand blasted the outside of the cylinder, along with the head and crank cases.

I have also attached a file of the original XR75 engine, which is the look I'm going for.

s-l300.jpg

2 minutes ago, DEATH_INC. said:

Just paint it. Just enough to cover the cylinder/head, you can go a bit heavier on the rest.

My old boss at the bike shop used to paint them, then bake them under a portable gas heater. The first one he showed me. I accused him of lying and thought the engine was brand new :D
Actually. I thought the entire bike was brand new lol. 

• Helpful 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, smokey_doge said:

Should I just use high temperature spraypaint? Or something like Cerakote/Powdercoating

High temp spray paint will do the trick. The finish is all in the preparation. Just take your time.

• Helpful 1

13 hours ago, smokey_doge said:

I am currently restoring a 1975 Honda XR75, and I have gotten to the point where I need to look at redoing the cases, and cylinder aesthetically. The original XR75 had a painted engine judging from the pictures. I've researched it, and It was painted using a color called cloud silver. However, in almost every forum I have looked at, they say to under no circumstances, paint an engine (cases, cylinder, head, etc). Is painting possible? I am shooting for the original 1975 look, but if painting is not an option, what about polishing to chrome? I am familiar with polishing and have done it many times before, but on the XR the air cooled engine has lots of fins. How would one polish in between the fins to get a nice looking chrome cylinder? I have already sand blasted the outside of the cylinder, along with the head and crank cases.

I have also attached a file of the original XR75 engine, which is the look I'm going for.

s-l300.jpg

As Enzo indicated for his later Ferrari's, non-shiny is the best for racing/purpose built machines. You "shouldn't" pimp out a dirt bike, unless its a "trailer queen" not ment to be ridden or for show. Find some Honda silver paint. I have a can for my cr's and its a really cool dull alloy look, just like the factory bikes. image.png.dd8dd7dadb024546a1ce569981949d31.pngimage.png.3dc8cdbc64365ef1d0690e158afb7165.pngimage.png.331d7948fde9eb732d84e55a5f28fc96.png

As Enzo indicated for his later Ferrari's, non-shiny is the best for racing/purpose built machines. You "shouldn't" pimp out a dirt bike, unless its a "trailer queen" not ment to be ridden or for show. Find some Honda silver paint. I have a can for my cr's and its a really cool dull alloy look, just like the factory bikes. image.png.dd8dd7dadb024546a1ce569981949d31.pngimage.png.3dc8cdbc64365ef1d0690e158afb7165.pngimage.png.331d7948fde9eb732d84e55a5f28fc96.png

I’ve thought i’d that before, but my only problem was not knowing if it can withstand high temps. Is it ok too use on an engine cylinder?

painting the engine cases is tedious but it makes them look GREAT 

when painting the cylinder and head  -go super light on the paint-  =  air cooled motors need the metal to dissipate the heat and if you cake on 20 coats of glossy paint it will insulate and keep all that heat inside and melt motor parts   at least make oil break down from overheating 

think it is called " fogging the paint "  onto the cylinder fins  it gives color but almost NO layers of paint 

still have my 1975 xr75 from when I was a snot-nosed-kid growing up in the 70s ,, got it used in 76 , and still love it 

then the motor was a silver/grey metal = rubbed not polished  like raw aluminum pot metal ,, now it looks like old metal 

DDD

I would recommend cerakoate easily. This is a material designed for coating items that have close tolerances. So it has excellent coverage in a very thin application. They offer air dry and of course the H series which is oven cured.

Within the last year I have re-painted 2 engines. I would not hesitate to use this product line on an air cooled motor. The H series would be better but you have to oven cure it. 250 degrees for one hour on metal parts. Plastics at 150 for 2 hours.

I wrote a primer on how to use cerakote on another forum. I linked to where to buy similar equipment like what I use. Message me if you like and I can link you to that thread.

My background is in custom painting so I readily embraced cerakote. As it is you’ll need a touch up or detail gun, air compressor and drying box or oven.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smokey_doge said:

I’ve thought i’d that before, but my only problem was not knowing if it can withstand high temps. Is it ok too use on an engine cylinder?

Ah, yes high temp paint. Go to a hot rod store, or auto parts store, they have hi-temp engine paints, ask the guy behind the parts counter, order you some or find you some. I bet they have the classic silver color.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, smokey_doge said:

Should I just use high temperature spraypaint? Or something like Cerakote/Powdercoating

No powder, it'll melt.

You can use a temp modified enamel, like engine block or brake caliper paint, you get a much better choice of colors/finishes than the hi-temp exhaust paint.

Edit, now that I've read the rest of the thread I see everyone has filled you in already.  :doh:

Edited by DEATH_INC.
Coz I'm a dumbass
  • Like 1

Rustoleum silver at wally mart ,   if on a budget ...   I use it all the time .  Great for frames  , handlebars ....

So would it be better to leave an aircooled motor bare? I'm working on an old IT175 and the cases need attention, paint scratched, chipping, and worn off. The clutch cover is magnesium so that might have to be painted or cerakote'd...

Edited by smirmeister