Dual sport options

Tax season is near and that means Ill be selling the virago and looking for a (more practical) used dual sport.

It should be capable of comfortable highway speeds as a daily commuter, and needs to handle some light packing trips (I think that rules out any air-cooled 250.)

So far, from what I’ve seen in my area, there are a number of early and pre 2000s dual sport bikes for sale. These bikes are generally street legal KTM 400s, Kawi KLR650s, Suzuki DR350s, Yamaha XTs, And Honda XRs.

Generally a topic like this is more subjective but I want to know your opinions.

For reference, I’m probably an intermediate rider I’ve had bikes since I was a kid I grew up riding trails and track but neither very consistently as of late. I’m 140lbs and at only 5’7” I think I’ve ruled out the xr650l...

Honestly that sounds like light Adventure bike territory.  Very few dual sports will be "comfortable" at highway speeds.   Some of them will do highway speeds, but they are anything but comfortable.  I have a DRZ400S and wouldn't want to be on a highway for more than a few miles.  The wind blasts you, the bike feel skitish and even though a DRZ will do 90 - 100 MPH it just feels strung out and like you have very little reserve power when keeping up with highway traffic (75 MPH).

I'd actually love to pick up some kind of adventure bike myself.  I love back road exploring on my DRZ400S, but would love to do some longer motocamping trips on the bike.   I know people who own the KTM 790s and 1090s and they love them.  Heck I'd even be happy with a Suzuki Vstrom 1000 which gets really good reviews as a budget adventure bike.

With that being said, where the dual sport bikes excel is when you stay off the highway, and really, the major traffic congested surface roads.   They are about finding the long way to your destination.   I make a game to see if I can make it to my destination on all dirt back roads even if it means the route is 25% longer.  When I do hit pavement I try to make is very low traffic country roads.  Don't get me wrong, I do occasionally ride into town to run errands, etc but that's not where they excel.

But if you really want a dual sport I'd definitely opt for one of the bigger more road capable ones.  On the budget end, a Suzuki DR650.  If you have the budget a KTM 690 / Husky 701.  I would choose a tire that's realistic with how your bike is used.  Full knob D606s look great on a dual sport but if you are riding mostly pavement and dirt roads they won't give you the best performance, longevity and enjoyment.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1

Honestly that sounds like light Adventure bike territory.  Very few dual sports will be "comfortable" at highway speeds.   Some of them will do highway speeds, but they are anything but comfortable.  I have a DRZ400S and wouldn't want to be on a highway for more than a few miles.  The wind blasts you, the bike feel skitish and even though a DRZ will do 90 - 100 MPH it just feels strung out and like you have very little reserve power when keeping up with highway traffic (75 MPH).
I'd actually love to pick up some kind of adventure bike myself.  I love back road exploring on my DRZ400S, but would love to do some longer motocamping trips on the bike.   I know people who own the KTM 790s and 1090s and they love them.  Heck I'd even be happy with a Suzuki Vstrom 1000 which gets really good reviews as a budget adventure bike.
With that being said, where the dual sport bikes excel is when you stay off the highway, and really, the major traffic congested surface roads.   They are about finding the long way to your destination.   I make a game to see if I can make it to my destination on all dirt back roads even if it means the route is 25% longer.  When I do hit pavement I try to make is very low traffic country roads.  Don't get me wrong, I do occasionally ride into town to run errands, etc but that's not where they excel.
But if you really want a dual sport I'd definitely opt for one of the bigger more road capable ones.  On the budget end, a Suzuki DR650.  If you have the budget a KTM 690 / Husky 701.  I would choose a tire that's realistic with how your bike is used.  Full knob D606s look great on a dual sport but if you are riding mostly pavement and dirt roads they won't give you the best performance, longevity and enjoyment.
Doc
He's 5'7", a 701 or 690 isn't a good choice regardless of budget. They are absolute skyscrapers. Ive never owned a better all around bike though, I'd ride my counter balanced 701 across the country.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SeeryalPostur said:

He's 5'7", a 701 or 690 isn't a good choice regardless of budget. They are absolute skyscrapers. Ive never owned a better all around bike though, I'd ride my counter balanced 701 across the country.

I'm 5'7" (5'8" on a good day with thick soled boots).   I ride a KTM 350 XCF-W and a KTM 300 XC-W with 38+" seat height.   I ride a DRZ400S with a 36.8" seat height.

The 690 / 701 are squat little short bikes in comparison with a 35" seat height.   So it shouldn't be an issue.

Joking aside, inseam is much more important than total height.   I've got long legs for a guy my height.  I know a guy who is 6'4" that has very short legs for his height.   We have the same inseam.  So you can probably find some 6' guys with short legs that would struggle and some 5'7" guys with long legs that have no problems.  The only way to know is for the OP to sit on them.  

Doc

Edited by Doc_d

I'm 5'7" (5'8" on a good day with thick soled boots).   I ride a KTM 350 XCF-W and a KTM 300 XC-W with 38+" seat height.   I ride a DRZ400S with a 36.8" seat height.
The 690 / 701 are squat little short bikes in comparison with a 35" seat height.   So it shouldn't be an issue.
Joking aside, inseam is much more important than total height.   I've got long legs for a guy my height.  I know a guy who is 6'4" that has very short legs for his height.   We have the same inseam.  So you can probably find some 6' guys with short legs that would struggle and some 5'7" guys with long legs that have no problems.  The only way to know is for the OP to sit on them.  
Doc
My 701 is 38". The 690 was always a little shorter.

45 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

20170613_210521[1].jpg

2017 KTM 690 Enduro R was 37.5" at the lowest point of the seat. Of course, this will vary a bit based upon sag settings, but one the less, def on the tall side. @ 5' 10" I would touch both feet, but only my toes to the ball of my foot. Def not flat footed. 

I'm gonna need a level on top of that square....  

Just kidding.  Thanks for measuring.  I was just going by what is on their websites.  KTM shows 910mm or 35.8" Husky shows 920mm or 36.2 inches.  Either way both those bikes are shorter than what I ride at 5'7" so I'm just trying to say that the OP really needs to sit on them before just blindly ruling them out just because he's 5'7".

I find that even really tall guys want to lower a CRF230F just because they aren't used to the height of an off-road bike.  But the OP sounds like he's ridden dirt so I suspect he's used to the height of dirt bikes.

Doc

5 minutes ago, Doc_d said:

I'm gonna need a level on top of that square....  

Just kidding.  Thanks for measuring.  I was just going by what is on their websites.  KTM shows 910mm or 35.8" Husky shows 920mm or 36.2 inches.  Either way both those bikes are shorter than what I ride at 5'7" so I'm just trying to say that the OP really needs to sit on them before just blindly ruling them out just because he's 5'7".

I find that even really tall guys want to lower a CRF230F just because they aren't used to the height of an off-road bike.  But the OP sounds like he's ridden dirt so I suspect he's used to the height of dirt bikes.

Doc

This was from a while ago. Others asked me how tall. It's a tall bike for sure. On my helmet cam, I can hear myself here there saying, "Tall bike, Tall bike!" when I'm trying to get a foot down to dab in uneven terrain. Despite that, great bike and it never bothered me. I had a buddy who is all but 5' 4" who rode a YZ426F at the time. Not the easiest, but gotta work with what God gave ya!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

What's the budget? W/o that number, no way to  make a good recommendation. If money is no object, 2020 KTM 790 Adventure R Rally! ? No, really ... Need some financials to help with any degree of accuracy. I too am thinking an ADV bike of some sort.

I'd really love a KTM 790.  Just have to figure out how to sneak it into the garage without the wife noticing.

Doc

What's the budget? W/o that number, no way to  make a good recommendation. If money is no object, 2020 KTM 790 Adventure R Rally! [emoji7] No, really ... Need some financials to help with any degree of accuracy. I too am thinking an ADV bike of some sort.

Ah! Good suggestions! I’m lookin at buying used for around 2500.

1 hour ago, currymoto said:

Ah! Good suggestions! I’m lookin at buying used for around 2500.

With that sort of budget you're going to be fairly limited. You'll occasionally find a DRZ400 for the high $2,000 range but it will have been well-used. Based on your budget and description I would be looking at an older KLR 650 or DR650. For overall comfort the KLR is hard to beat.  It's no single track bike but it is actually surprisingly capable in the right hands.  For commuting it is comfortable, it has a decent amount of range on the stock tank and it will do back-country dirt and gravel roads no problem.

Doc

What’s your inseam? I’m your height with a 30 inch inseam and I fit just fine on a 230f. Yz426 was a little tall at 39 inches but I haven’t really had much of an issue with seat height once correct sag is dialed in.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, currymoto said:

What’s your inseam? I’m your height with a 30 inch inseam and I fit just fine on a 230f. Yz426 was a little tall at 39 inches but I haven’t really had much of an issue with seat height once correct sag is dialed in.

In pants I wear between a 30" and 32" depending on the cut.   It's been a while since I've physically measured it.    But it sounds like at 5'7" with a 30" inseam you're like me and long legged.  That's why I said you can't just assume because a guy is 5'7" a bike will be too tall for him.  

With your budget, Bryan hit the nail on the head.  Look for Suzuki DR650s or KLR650s.   You might want to keep an eye out for a DRZ400S as well.   A couple years ago I picked up a 2012 DRZ400S that was completely stock with 2,043 miles on it for $3,200.  But it took me a long time to find that deal.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1

Budget is the biggee. If you could add a $1000 your options would increase 10 fold. I ride KTM's, that being said I'm a big fan of the DRZ400s and the DR650se. Both bikes are bullet proof, good web support, and alot of fun. Owned quite a few Suzuki's and have had zero problems. From the DR200se's 350,400, and 650's.

Budget is the biggee. If you could add a $1000 your options would increase 10 fold. I ride KTM's, that being said I'm a big fan of the DRZ400s and the DR650se. Both bikes are bullet proof, good web support, and alot of fun. Owned quite a few Suzuki's and have had zero problems. From the DR200se's 350,400, and 650's.

If you are a KTM guy, I have to ask, what can you tell me about the early LC4s? I have few early LC4s for sale in my area under $2500 and I just can’t seem to find much info on them. Theres a 400 rxc and couple 620 rxc’s..