Slavens CDI for 300sx with RK Tek Head

8 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

Guys, I think you are overthinking this. the 250sx cdi is going to be an "SX" ignition. As Mog stated, guys are running cr250 CDIs in CR500s...

Then why do they bother making two of them ? Looks like version for the newer bikes is for both 250 and 300 but people say it's not as good, leads me to think KTM wanted to save a buck and consolidated into a unit that does both but compromises some performance 

Edited by Dirtstache 556

7 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

Guys, I think you are overthinking this. the 250sx cdi is going to be an "SX" ignition. As Mog stated, guys are running cr250 CDIs in CR500s...

Right.  But per my example, same reed block from 125 to 300, we know KTM likes reusing parts across bikes.

It's not financially sound to make a 300 SX specific CDI unless they see a reason for it.  What the reason is, they don't say.

I'm still on the fence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, redrider144 said:

Right.  But per my example, same reed block from 125 to 300, we know KTM likes reusing parts across bikes.

It's not financially sound to make a 300 SX specific CDI unless they see a reason for it.  What the reason is, they don't say.

I'm still on the fence.

Reuse across bikes, and now across 3 brands with the gas gas purchase. 

7 hours ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

Then why do they bother making two of them ? Looks like version for the newer bikes is for both 250 and 300 but people say it's not as good, leads me to think KTM wanted to save a buck and consolidated into a unit that does both but compromises some performance 

I think you are asking the wrong question. You should be asking, why does the 250sx ignition work perfectly well in the 300? KTM builds a 250sx, there is no 300sx. The 300 kit KTM sells is just the 300xc cylinder and they provide an ignition that I and others presume, smooths out power since the 300 makes much more power than the 250. Makes sense, how hard is to tweak a curve and sell a different box? It's not.

When I built my first 300sx I had the 300 ignition that came with the kit and went back to the 250sx ignition because it made more power (felt like it) and I liked it more. I really can't comment on all the differences between years but if you can get a 250 box cheap, I'd try it out. It's not going to hurt anything.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

On 1/15/2020 at 9:00 PM, 2strokenut said:

really can't comment on all the differences between years but if you can get a 250 box cheap, I'd try it out. It's not going to hurt anything.

2017 250 SX CDI is the same price and available within a week, so that's what I went with.

13 minutes ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

I ended up just canceling my order. Did a harescramble this weekend and at no point was I thinking "Man I could really use more power" Mostly sandy and flowy single track with lot of sand whoops mostly ran in 3rd with no problem needing more bottom end

Just curious, what pipe are you running?