Dirtstache 556

Slavens CDI for 300sx with RK Tek Head

1 hour ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

I didn't realize the slavens and oem CDI's were different things, i would lean more towards the OEM

The "Slavens" is the '14 -'16  KTM 300 SXS kit CDI.

I've researched this plenty, had people post pictures of the part number.

Farmboybunk already gave you the KTM part number for it.

Edited by redrider144

1 hour ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

I just had a question about a CDI, had no idea what I was starting 🤣

You are not starting anything except an information exchange... 

ALL questions are good.. the issues lie in the wrong answers.

In the end, I am sure it is difficult for those who do not have the experience to find the correct answers to the questions with all the internet BS out there.

As for the CDI, the correct answer was presented... The Slavens CDI  is the SAME as the factory KTM CDI, as for his Butt-Plug.. that could be proprietary .. never used one..

With Slavens, whatever he has the most stock of, will be the "go to item". As far as REAL performance.. One should always  go to a Performance shop vs a re-seller/tire shop IMO..

There are reasons why there are specialty shops that strictly do 2 stroke performance work.. and it is NOT because there is big money in it!!

It IS because it is a passion and a "specialty" service that VERY FEW do anymore.. AND because they are probably good at it as well.

Edited by HERA
  • Like 4

35 minutes ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

anyone have a part number for the OEM 300sx CDI for a 2019? Can't seem to find anything and slaven's also lists it as backordered 

Even if you can find the 2019, you'll likely be paying at least $100 more for it.

This is the one Farmboybunk is running:

https://www.ktm-parts.com/SXS14300390.html

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 2strokenut said:

Slavens GET

Slavens S3

Slavens CDI

Slavens Butt plug

He is just the middleman, he doesn't produce any of those products.

I agree 100%.   He claims his S3 "Mule" head is different and proprietary.   The same part numbers stamped on his inserts are available from S3 in their normal product line.  I've been very tempted to buy the S3 version and CC them both and take some measurements.  I'm 99.9% sure this is just one of their normally offered inserts.  The way they are anodized, there is no way he's doing any machining to the S3 part.

He also claims he uses his own proprietary mapping in his ECU products.  That's odd for a guy that doesn't own a dyno.  When I bought a Vortex from him I talked to him briefly and the guy seemed absolutely clueless about fuel injection systems.  So I have a hard time believing he's developing his own maps.  Maybe he adds 1% fuel to a few cells and calls it his own.  

He's a salesman that finds certain products and tries to market them under his own moniker.  With that being said, I haven't had any real problems ordering any products from him.  When I was in the market for a Vortex he had them in stock and others didn't.

Doc

• Like 2

It can be done certainly by an experienced tuner.

I know of a few local bike shops that have dynos but they don't build engines.  So with them, you may be at the mercy of your own ideas on part throttle loads being equivalent to the real load of bike weight + rider weight on dirt.  Is the drum inertia enough by itself?  IDK.

The 250i uses eddy current brake and a 500lb drum

I believe its not quite as heavy as riding the bike as it accelerates in top gear from say 20mph to 60mph in about 4 seconds , on the bike it would be slower ,but have no doubt it's a heavy load it pulls ,enough for most bikes to detonate on full throttle until the revs get up

• Helpful 1

14 minutes ago, mog said:

The 250i uses eddy current brake and a 500lb drum

I believe its not quite as heavy as riding the bike as it accelerates in top gear from say 20mph to 60mph in about 4 seconds , on the bike it would be slower ,but have no doubt it's a heavy load it pulls ,enough for most bikes to detonate on full throttle until the revs get up

Can we see the dyno of the bike when it rolls off the throttle and then back on the throttle like you would do on the dirt?  

What happens to the torque when the throttle is released? to say 1/16th throttle.

What happens to the torque when you re-apply the throttle from 1/16th to 3/8th throttle?

I suspect I wil not get an answer because you can not test on a wheel dyno like that so, you would not have that information.. IF I am mistaken, I can't wait to see the data and will  enjoy the Crow Sandwich like no other.

Edited by HERA

6 minutes ago, HERA said:

Can we see the dyno of the bike when it rolls off the throttle and then back on the throttle like you would do on the dirt?  

The question is meaningless.  He never said that you don't go test on the track after the dyno work.  

He said he can jet all circuits on a dyno.  You got anything to disprove that?  You can prove that Mog can't jet a bike on a dyno?  Were you there with him?

Why do you start this bs EVERY TIME?

Edited by redrider144

40 minutes ago, redrider144 said:

The question is meaningless.  He never said that you don't go test on the track after the dyno work.  

He said he can jet all circuits on a dyno.  You got anything to disprove that?  You can prove that Mog can't jet a bike on a dyno?  Were you there with him?

Why do you start this bs EVERY TIME?

While we are asking "WHYs"--->

WHY are you in EVERY thread on every bike MFG with "expert advice"... Can you prove you are an "expert" and have valid information regarding EVERY TOPIC on every bike? 

As for jetting.. NOBODY rides steady throttle on the dirt.. so steady throttle testing and calibration is ,as you say,, MEANINGLESS!

YES, you can get CLOSE with a steady throttle dyno "tune" BUT, again, NOBODY rides steady throttle.. so it is not the correct tune for on-off-on throttle running.  

When I use a dyno to jet the bike, the jetting is not optimum in the field.. So, the whole session was for nothing.

As for MOGs jetting ability.. he has a 150 that has more powre at 1/4 throttle than a CR500 or any 250 or 300 as well.. That speaks volumes.

Does  anybody really think that their pump gas 150 has more torque than a 300 or 500 at 1/4 throttle?? REALLY???

That is very easy to show in the real world and would be embarassing when this "dyno report" got "real world" with a CR500 at part throttle. I think everybody knows who comes out on top with that.

While we are asking "WHYs"--->
WHY are you in EVERY thread on every bike MFG with "expert advice"... Can you prove you are an "expert" and have valid information regarding EVERY TOPIC on every bike? 
As for jetting.. NOBODY rides steady throttle on the dirt.. so steady throttle testing and calibration is ,as you say,, MEANINGLESS!
YES, you can get CLOSE with a steady throttle dyno "tune" BUT, again, NOBODY rides steady throttle.. so it is not the correct tune for on-off-on throttle running.  
When I use a dyno to jet the bike, the jetting is not optimum in the field.. So, the whole session was for nothing.
As for MOGs jetting ability.. he has a 150 that has more powre at 1/4 throttle than a CR500 or any 250 or 300 as well.. That speaks volumes.
Does  anybody really think that their pump gas 150 has more torque than a 300 or 500 at 1/4 throttle?? REALLY???
That is very easy to show in the real world and would be embarassing when this "dyno report" got "real world" with a CR500 at part throttle. I think everybody knows who comes out on top with that.
You post this bs all the time ,were all bored of it honestly ,you act like we are all too stupid to see through it

I stated clearly I backed up all the Dyno work with real world riding

That's including rolling the throttle as though that's some crazy new thing. Your looking for some mystical test that doesn't exist or matter in the real world

I have both bikes ,you dont ,the 150 with stic pulls harder at 1/4 throttle than the 250

You have nothing useful to add so do us a favour and either prove me wrong with video recorded dynos like I have ,or just give it a rest ....
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mog said:

Can you prove you are an "expert" and have valid information regarding EVERY TOPIC on every bike?

I own the bike this thread is about.  I've spent a bit of time dialing it in.  It's still a work in progress on winter jetting.

I've helped several others with jetting their bikes and they've thanked me and were super happy.

2 weeks ago, I took a 36 PWK over to a guy with a '19 150 XCW.  I've never owned or ridden a KTM 150, but I nailed the jetting on my 1st attempt.  He raced it the next day and said it was perfect.

I'm no expert but I think I'm more than qualified to be in this discussion.

1 hour ago, redrider144 said:

I own the bike this thread is about.  I've spent a bit of time dialing it in.  It's still a work in progress on winter jetting.

I've helped several others with jetting their bikes and they've thanked me and were super happy.

2 weeks ago, I took a 36 PWK over to a guy with a '19 150 XCW.  I've never owned or ridden a KTM 150, but I nailed the jetting on my 1st attempt.  He raced it the next day and said it was perfect.

I'm no expert but I think I'm more than qualified to be in this discussion.

Congrats!! Perfect is awesome....:banghead::facepalm:

Edited by HERA

One thing we all know for certain
If my bike had a rk head I'm 100% sure Kelsey would be saying how amazing the part throttle power was , but it has a stic so it's not possible ,funny that

• Haha 1

I didn't realize the slavens and oem CDI's were different things, i would lean more towards the OEM

It should be clarified that Slavens sells CDI’s manufactured by KTM for the SX 300 kit. The CDI is not manufactured by Skavens, only sold by Slavens.
KTM does not sell a factory SX 300, but sells a kit to turn any KTM 250/300 motor into a SX 300.
Also some people like my self have bought the SX 300 CDI separately and not the complete SX 300 kit. Again Slavens is one supplier of the KTM SX 300 CDI.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, HERA said:

Congrats!! Perfect is awesome....:banghead::facepalm:

I felt pretty good considering I've never even ridden a 150 (before that day) and jetting 2Ts isn't my day job.  But yeah, anyhow just keep on doing what you're doing.  You're showing everyone your true colors.

3 minutes ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

Thanks, just seemed odd to me that they didn't change the CDI since the 14 model with the new engine design in 17

Seriously, you've got to quit trying to derail this thread.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

Thanks, just seemed odd to me that they didn't change the CDI since the 14 model with the new engine design in 17

The '14 300 SXS CDI is actually '14 - '16.

There's a '17 - '18 300 SX CDI.  But it's $100 more expensive, and others I've talked to that tried it prefer the '17 - '20 250 SX CDI.

But why bother with those when you have someone here that's run the '14 - '16 300 SX CDI in 2 bikes with RK heads and he's telling you how great it is?  Many on TT are running that CDI in '17+ 300s and they all rave about it.

Edited by redrider144