Jake Anderson

Beta4Stroke 2020 500rr-s first upgrades

I’m likely going to be pulling the trigger on my first Beta in the next month or two and have decided to go with a 500rr-s.

It looks like they are great bone stock, but other than preference upgrades like seat, tires or mirrors... is there anything that should be done with byob?

I’m just wondering if it’s worth byob or just work the bike and upgrade as I learn my preferences with this bike.

Thanks!

• Like 1

The 2020 motor has a new oil gear, then my19. The parts fiche has a different number and a different drawing when comparing the two. 

Edited by rharr

If you're going to ride a lot of single track, perhaps the high volume water pump..   Springs for your weight +1... 

Need more fuel, get larger tank (which BYOB will not install).

I'd run the stock oil pump gears until you have another reason to get into the clutch site of the engine (or start getting close to service interval).  I replaced my plastic gears around 50 hours as I was installing kickstart, they looked like new when I took them out..

Personally I prefer going over a bike myself, installing springs/tank/high volume water pump while I was digging into it anyway made sense to me.  Grease all the fittings, if they haven't fixed the bracket that holds the connections to the TT unit you'll probably want to attend to that otherwise the speedo readout may be wonky or just fail completely.

You'll probably want to read

It's a long thread, but that should cover all the things you *might* have to attend to...  At the least you may want to know where the past weak spots were, so you can check...

Mine has been nothing short of phenomenal... 

1 hour ago, rharr said:

The 2020 motor has a new oil gear, then my19. The parts fiche has a different number and a different drawing when comparing the two. 

They are still plastic for 2020. I added steel oil gears for my BYOB

5 minutes ago, Gumbybronco said:

Oh sweet. Yea I didn't see it as an option in there so figured they fixed it. 

2 minutes ago, Jake Anderson said:

Oh sweet. Yea I didn't see it as an option in there so figured they fixed it. 

They aren’t listed yet because they have such limited quantity. Just ask Frank when you submit your order and he’ll add it or let you know when they’ll get more.

Edited by Gumbybronco

37 minutes ago, Gumbybronco said:

Odd because steel gears for 2020 bikes are not listed in the BYOB. You have a part number I can tell my dealer to order?  I will mention this to my dealer to add to my 2020 order. 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

What type of riding are you planning? These bikes don't need much at all. 

So for a bit I'll be doing trails in the PNW but then likely towards the end of the year I'll be heading down to Florida for the forseeable future. 

We changed out all the cheap factory hose clamps with nice hose clamps after one of them leaked

• Helpful 1

56 minutes ago, bigbob said:

We changed out all the cheap factory hose clamps with nice hose clamps after one of them leaked

sounds like a solid idea. Never hurts beefing those up!

Can you speak to a couple of things for me please.

If you have a multimeter can you tell me what the voltages on the battery are with bike off and with bike idling? Also does the voltage increase when you rev it or go down?

Have you had any issues with your low fuel light?

3 minutes ago, bradje said:

If you have a multimeter can you tell me what the voltages on the battery are with bike off and with bike idling? Also does the voltage increase when you rev it or go down?

yes I asked the dealer about my low fuel light coming on at half a tank. He said put a piece of black duct tape over the light  :facepalm:

• Like 1

jesus - unacceptable imo.

When the fuel light comes on in your car, what do you have? 30/40 miles left before running dry, right?
Beta wanted to give the rider 30/40 safe miles to get to a gas station. Logic on simple silly things on a Euro dirt bike holds sometimes little rationale....

You do realize that the OP in his first statement said he’ll be buying in the next few months, right?
  • Like 1