segge

arizona A naive question...are the trails really crowded in the SW and AZ?

I know I have been spoilt, my off-road riding has been limited to North and West Africa (Egypt, Libya, Senegal and Mali) or the Middle East (UAE, Qatar and Oman). I could ride for a full day and never cross another track. I don't expect the same remoteness but wondering how easy is it get away from the masses. I have never ridden off-road in the US but have done the Continental Divide by mountain bike.

I am looking to return to the US after living away for the past 32 years and have been considering Yuma, AZ (I want desert and my wife wants close to the ocean, she rides as well). Is it easy to get away from the masses? Can I ride a trail and encounter few people? Is it jam packed? Am I going to get crushed by a SSV? At one point we were looking at the Lake Havasu and surrounding areas, saw a few videos and cringed. I know we had complete freedom in the other places we have lived but it most be super regulated as where you can ride, right?

Just wondering how remote it can be?

Thanks

2.jpg

Edited by segge
typo
  • Like 1

The desert SW and Arizona in particular has vast amounts of open riding where you can get out and not see another soul for miles on end.

Obviously the closer to towns and cities you’ll have the SXS worry but they don’t typically venture out too far or ride more rugged terrain including single track.

I live and ride all around Lake Havasu City and have to ask what made you cringe when looking at our beautiful desert oasis.

I run a local moto group and would love to show you some of what Havasu has to offer. Yes, we do have a slight SXS problem during snowbird season but it’s a very large desert with lots of trails.

Looks us up and let’s get some single track in🤙🏼

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1644946075722170/?ref=share

• Like 2

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry...no, no, no, the Lake Havasu area looks amazing! The lake looks beautiful and nearby terrain looks awesome. I started looking at videos of the lake with tons of boaters, jet skis, etc. (nothing against them) and thought the riding might be the same? But sounds like not.

Thank you! I'm off to the facebook page.

I will look you up!

• Like 2

Tucson and Phoenix area all depend on where you ride. There is SSSOOO much open land for riding that people end up pretty spread out for the most part, so even at many "busy" places you might not run across another rider on the trail. The nice thing is that everybody I've ever run across is super friendly. But there are definitely places you can ride that are highly unlikely to run across others. There are some really good dual sport clubs, sites, and Facebook pages for really getting away and doing distance rides and stuff. (That's not me yet, so I can't point you in the exact direction, sorry)

On 1/16/2020 at 3:25 AM, RyanK said:

Tucson and Phoenix area all depend on where you ride. There is SSSOOO much open land for riding that people end up pretty spread out for the most part, so even at many "busy" places you might not run across another rider on the trail. The nice thing is that everybody I've ever run across is super friendly. But there are definitely places you can ride that are highly unlikely to run across others. There are some really good dual sport clubs, sites, and Facebook pages for really getting away and doing distance rides and stuff. (That's not me yet, so I can't point you in the exact direction, sorry)

Thank you for this, much appreciated! Glad to hear it is a friendly scene, that's what I'm looking for!

• Like 1