Mikeds

Tecate to coyote cals

Planning a ride for this summer. I’m an experienced rider and comfortable in Mexico I just haven’t ridden this particular stretch. Looking to stay on the dirt tracks and avoid the pavement as much as possible. Writing a Honda XR 400 I will likely be doing the ride alone and was just curious how remote the area is. From what I can tell even on weekdays there should be plenty of traffic it does not really seem that remote. Also from someone who’s done it approximately how long will it take? Also I keep reading about various gate closures from the ranchers? Any real recent changes from the basic establish route? Thank you for any info

I have done it in August twice because I am dumb I guess. Pretty brutal from Ojos to Santo Tomas.  No closures that I am aware of. Heard someone south of Ojos may be charging a small fee to cross their land. That seems to have went away, haven't heard any complaining in a month or so. Post up before you go and get some more riders.

We make an all day trip out of it. Stop at the sawmill for gas and a couple beers. Lunch at Acambaro or the restaurant at the Pemex in sta. Tomas.

Yes we were there south Ojos like in August and two guys in a truck at the closed gate just stood there didn't asked for money or anything, when we got to Cals and talking to some of the guests informed us that they were aloud to go trough by paying 100.00 pesos at the ranch to the left, other than that Cals is a cool place. We came back the next day by way of the winery road to Valle T...... Paco P.

Yes we were there south Ojos like in August and two guys in a truck at the closed gate just stood there didn't asked for money or anything, when we got to Cals and talking to some of the guests informed us that they were aloud to go trough by paying 100.00 pesos at the ranch to the left, other than that Cals is a cool place. We came back the next day by way of the winery road to Valle T...... Paco P.
After Santo Tomas for gas a few feet after the Pemex take a right to the coast, is an amazing road.
  • Like 2

Thank you for the info guys. I just want to make sure riding alone I’m not biting off more than I can chew. When I do it I’ll be driving from Phoenix that morning and then unloading the bike on the US side. If I hustle and don’t get too lost how fast can I get from Tecate to coyote cals on the dirt track. Obviously doing it the first time I want to give myself plenty of wiggle room timewise. I’m totally comfortable paying a few ranchers a few pesos

I live and ride here every week. If your riding alone witch is not good idea. At least make sure someone knows your route. Make it a point to call them or use spot divece. That your good also let them know. If they don't here from you your stuck.

• Like 1