DRZ BRAKES! Brembo Master Cylinder Upgrade

Alright boy and girls

Been doing some research on front and rear brake upgrades for my 2018 DRZ400SM. I currently have the Rear brakes set to instill here soon. (COREMoto Steel Braided Lines, 2012 Yamaha FZR6 Rear Master Cylinder / Yamaha OEM Brembo Part, EBC Carbon X pads) And I'll have an install right up on that soon. I'm needing some insight into a custom Brembo Radial setup for the front. My plan is to run the Brembo 4 piston caliper with the QTM Mount. Having trouble finding a 320mm rotor that will work with the Brembo Caliper. Trying to spend as little as possible, have the caliper and the bracket now, looking for a 320mm rotor option as well as a radial master cylinder for the front. I've seen some guys use the Katana Front master, KTM oem Brembo master and the R1/R6 master. I've found a Yamaha OEM Brembo Semi-Radial master cylinder for a 2006-2016 R6. Comes with the brake switch connectors as well. Wanted to see if anyone has used this set up or had any luck with another direction. 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Out of morbid curiosity, why are you upgrading the rear master cylinder on A: a late model DRZ B: on a bike that you don't use the rear brake often unless you are stunting?  The lines and pads will do wonders to firm up the feel of the brake.  The 320mm 6 bolt rotors are plentiful for the DRZ in 320mm as Warp9, ebc, braking, moto-master, etc all make 320mm rotors that bolt up without issue.  

Edited by ctrials
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ctrials said:

Out of morbid curiosity, why are you upgrading the rear master cylinder on A: a late model DRZ B: on a bike that you don't use the rear brake often unless you are stunting?  The lines and pads will do wonders to firm up the feel of the brake.  The 320mm 6 bolt rotors are plentiful for the DRZ in 320mm as Warp9, ebc, braking, moto-master, etc all make 320mm rotors that bolt up without issue.  

Mainly just because I found a deal on one. Going to be changing out the lines anyway. 

12 minutes ago, ctrials said:

Is there something wrong with your master cylinder or just changing out parts to change out parts?  

Just because really lol and the need to spend too much money on a bike that I've already spent too much on. Mainly looking to get the big brake upgrades in the front, the rear was just a good online score I couldn't pass up.

• Like 2

IMHO, I wouldn't go any bigger than a 15mm front master on a single aftermarket 4 piston caliper.  Personally, I HATE the feel of a wooden front brake lever, I prefer a setup that has a little feel to make it easier to modulate.  

Let me ask you this, what do you not like about the front brake so far?  

If I remember correctly, your bike comes with a 11mm dirt master (maybe 10mm), and a 2 piston (24-28mm) caliper.  With that caliper, if you want to firm up the pull SIGNIFICANTLY, go to a 12mm, or maybe a 13mm (1/2") master cylinder.  I wouldn't jump 4-5mm in piston size; that's a recipe for disaster.

Edited by zibbit u2

43 minutes ago, zibbit u2 said:

IMHO, I wouldn't go any bigger than a 15mm front master on a single aftermarket 4 piston caliper.  Personally, I HATE the feel of a wooden front brake lever, I prefer a setup that has a little feel to make it easier to modulate.  

Let me ask you this, what do you not like about the front brake so far?  

If I remember correctly, your bike comes with a 11mm dirt master (maybe 10mm), and a 2 piston (24-28mm) caliper.  With that caliper, if you want to firm up the pull SIGNIFICANTLY, go to a 12mm, or maybe a 13mm (1/2") master cylinder.  I wouldn't jump 4-5mm in piston size; that's a recipe for disaster.

I plan on going with the brembo 4 piston while the bike is tore down. If i remember correctly it has a 12.7mm from factory, 2 piston a nd the 300mm rotor. I'm going up to 320 motomaster flame, and the brembo caliper. The stock brakes are just very soft, and under powered for the riding we do. A buddy has the Brembo RCS19 on his and I like the feel a lot better than mine stock

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 1hp said:

have about the same set up on my sm. used a 16mm Brembo master cylinder off an R1. like it because like to use 1 or 2 fingers for braking.

one of the best things about a Brembo master is it has a bleeder on it. takes about 5 minutes to bleed brakes as opposed to the 

stock one that takes for ever.

That's where I am at on the Brembo. 1 or 2 finger braking is what I want

• Like 1

That's where I am at on the Brembo. 1 or 2 finger braking is what I want
You'll have it for sure. The stock plastic line is the biggest problem. Stock 310 disk & pads with a stainless line is 1-2 finger cartwheel capable. You're going to have a brake that will stop if you just look at it angrily. That's a good thing.

My ‘19 FS450 came with a 15mm Brembo (PR15/18) master operating a Brembo M50 (4x 30mm piston) caliper and 310mm Galfer disk.

Initially I was ok with the setup, but I found the system difficult to modulate.  This was due to my hand size combined with my technique.  Normally I use 2-3 fingers on a short lever.

First thing I swapped-out was the pads; those increased the initial bite from what the factory pads could provide.

Next thing I swapped-out was the PR15 master to a Brembo RCS15.  Unfortunately, that master made the engagement point too far out from the bar (even with lever adjuster all the way in).  That resulted in a couple high-speed crashes on track due to over-braking.   Basically the brakes acted like a light switch providing not enough modulation for my liking.

This winter I swapped-out the RCS15 master to a RCS14.  Initial testing so far seems promising.  I like how the RCS14’s engagement point is spread out a little bit, which makes the brakes so much easier to modulate, and a little more forgiving to rider errors.

Anyways, good luck with your search.  As you can see, brake setup varies quite significantly rider to rider.  What one person says is the best brakes they’ve ever tried, could be the next riders worst..

• Like 1

• 1 year later...