maddawg23

Please help me plan an epic Baja ride

I'm hoping to tap into the vast expertise of this community to help me plan a 3-4 day group ride for April 2020 in Northern Baja. All of us are A Level enduro/desert guys from NorCal (2 of us have raced multiple Baja races).  During  '06-'07 I spent a lot of time riding down there preparing for the Baja 500 and 1000.  I had some good tracks.  But I'm sure a lot has changed in the last 13 years.

We'd like to Base in Ensenada, then ride to Mikes Sky Ranch for a night, and then either ride back to Ensenada or stay one more night remote and make it a longer loop. Also looking for a good day ride based out of Ensenada- preferably involving some coastal stuff.  We all love single track and challenges. All riding KTM XCs/EXCs.

The route we're thinking is old school- south to Urapan, then notheast towards Ojos Negros, then we need a cool route from there to Mikes. Then from Mike's a cool route either back to Ensenada or to another remote spot we don;t surrently know about, and from there to ensenada the next day. I've done the route from Mikes back over to HWY 1 on dirt road (not sure what it's called but we used it on the '06 Baja 500). We will have a "sagwagon" support truck, but I know last time we did a long ride we had to get gas at a lady's house from her 50 gallon drum in the middle of nowhere between Ojos and Valle de Trinidad. Wondering about remote gas stops.

Anyway, after doing some searches in this forum, I see there's a lot out there and I'm hoping someone can recomend some hot trails and maybe one more epic place to stay.

Also, what do you guys think about the E32 map app?  I downloaded that and it has a good system of baja trails on it- not sure show current/accurate it is.

Also wondering if you guys think Mona Lisa beach campground would be a safe place to leave a van/trailer near Ensenada while we're out on our ride- or maybe recommend a better place? I've stayed at Mona Lisa before and LOVED it, but not for 13 years and sometimes things change.

Any recommendations/advice would be MUCH appreciated!  Thanks, guys.

Edited by maddawg23
typos

If you are set on Ensenada then horsepower ranch is a nice place to stay.

The cans at punta bands have told me you can get to erindra, via coast road,but there is one area there if you don't know, don't do it!

ML trail easy to find after that you will wish you didn't find it. I used up 3 liters of go juice in first mile. I had 1 qt water extra to dump on head. Two extra ensure drinks for old people. The rider that lead us is the maker of that trail. Told me your the oldest person ever to make it. As I lay on ground gasping for air. Was over 100 degrees burtal.

On 6/21/2020 at 6:14 AM, bajatrailrider said:

ML trail easy to find after that you will wish you didn't find it. I used up 3 liters of go juice in first mile. I had 1 qt water extra to dump on head. Two extra ensure drinks for old people. The rider that lead us is the maker of that trail. Told me your the oldest person ever to make it. As I lay on ground gasping for air. Was over 100 degrees burtal.

I looked it up Larry, that's it. Did not know it was so hard. Cannot wait now to try it.

• Haha 1

On 6/30/2020 at 8:18 AM, bajatrailrider said:

You will regret those words 😉 

Oh wow,must be pretty tough? Glad I did not try it alone when I was on top of this mountain  with ensenada farm fields on one side of the hill and Pacific ocean and mexi roads on the other.

1 minute ago, trackmaster said:

Oh wow,must be pretty tough? Glad I did not try it alone when I was on top of this mountain  with ensenada farm fields on one side of the hill and Pacific ocean and mexi roads on the other.

I could see the town of la bufadora,just not the blow hole.