Unknown Part under bike near shifter | DRZ 400

I recently returned after a ride to find oil sprayed everywhere under my bike, then inspected and found this cover broken (see picture). There are wires going into it. I'm relatively well acquainted with the DRZ 400 but have no idea what this is! Any help on identifying the part or explaining why oil would come from that location? 

There's a small chance that the oil came from another location, but I can't find any other leaks anywhere and the oil is most concentrated around this broken part. 

Thanks for the help! 

60179209261__CA586995-B44E-4CB8-972E-374167C26202.jpeg.177cf4a1008a7a7426969f12895930a6.jpeg

8 hours ago, GuyGraham said:

Its the neutral switch and also gear position sensor

Oil is most likely coming from output shaft oil seal behind front sprocket

Is your front sprocket loose?

It's speculation until he pulls the shifter off and it flows from above it.  You aren't wrong that it could be coming from the CS seal...but we can't assume until his removes stuff and cleans it up.  

Thanks to all! This is helpful - after looking around online it looks like the neutral switch doesn't even have a cover on it - it's just that open foam or whatever. 

When I have time I'll clean it up, start it up, and try to see where the leak comes from. Both my stator cover and case cover are cracked and fixed with JB weld, so that could be the issue - although those look to be fine. 

I've seen a couple of versions of this, one that has just the neutral wire (road going E) and one that has a few wires - S/SM (filled contacts - white silicon) and also a blanking plate - dirt only E

491169522_NSelect.jpg.61a838d6b3e4326f1bf32f2776f42d96.jpg 

They are sealed with an O-ring as pictured above. From memory there isn't much oil flow around that area, it attaches to the back of the shift drum on a roller bearing so only needs an simple seal,  more likely, as has been suggested the output shaft that has oil flow around it or the clutch lever shaft or the shifter shaft.  I had a little incident when I installed a new seal on my rebuild clutch shaft.  I must have nipped it when installing.  Even when just spinning the motor over on the starter there was enough oil pressure to make a mess on the floor.  Fortunately it was able to be remedied without too much disassembly.  It certainly warrants further investigation. 

• Like 1

I recently returned after a ride to find oil sprayed everywhere under my bike, then inspected and found this cover broken (see picture). There are wires going into it. I'm relatively well acquainted with the DRZ 400 but have no idea what this is! Any help on identifying the part or explaining why oil would come from that location? 
There's a small chance that the oil came from another location, but I can't find any other leaks anywhere and the oil is most concentrated around this broken part. 
Thanks for the help! 

60179209261__CA586995-B44E-4CB8-972E-374167C26202.jpeg.177cf4a1008a7a7426969f12895930a6.jpeg
You also need to round off the sharp edges on the inboard end of the footshifter to help keep it from damaging the stator cover in a fall. Also need to install the TT case savers for better protection. That stator cover is just magnesium and pretty fragile.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2020 at 11:44 PM, WhiskeyThrottle277 said:

Thanks! Would that explain the oil all over the place or should I be looking somewhere else?

I had a bike that did something similar. clean the oil and grease off with electronics spray cleaner. use hi-temp Permatex, it will seal it, trim excess off too. just returning it to its former glory/design

Hey all - 

Just wanted to follow up on my original post. The neutral safety switch is fine - just a little bumped and bruised. Not sure if I'll ever need to replace it but everything works fine. The oil was pouring out of my countershaft seal. This seams to be a common problem with the DRZ 400 - either the seal busts or the bolt that holds it tight slowly wiggles loose. 

I cleaned up the oil, bought a kit for $16 at the local shop and replaced the seal, spacer, and washer. Many suggest a stronger (red) loctite on that bolt to prevent it from wiggling loose. If you own a DRZ 400 and have never check this before, take a moment to unscrew the front sprocket cover and evaluate the status of that seal and bolt. 

Thanks for the help!