Sign in to follow this  

XR650L Xr650L Bottom end rebuild

Hello all! thanks for the awesome recurse that this site is and all of the help this place already has been before this...my first post!

So, I am as the title states, rebuilding the lower end of my 2008 xr650l.  Now that I have installed the 2nd and 5th gear mod as well as replaced another worn gear, and center shift fork I now have the shift drum installed and am beginning to wonder if there is indeed a way to install that(shift drum) backwards?

I have tested and all seems to shift smoothly through the gear, however it would seem to me that if i were on the bike I would be pushing the pedal down to shift through the top four gears. Is this possible, or am I just second guessing myself?

THanks for the help!!

-Jdoo

no way to put the drum in backwards..one side is threaded for the detent wheel that would be on the  clutch side with the cover off..if you have it together and can install that piece the drum has to be right...

If you can go through all the gears while turning the output shaft by hand,,you should be good

B

Edited by brianhare

Ok, I was just a little worried i might have it turned the wrong way, causing a up in first down fourth through fifth.

15805770420768535390556372167674.jpg