I Rode Today - First Ride In 30 Years:

Hey, everyone...Greetings from Windy SoCal...

A recent trip to The Husky Monument renewed my hope and faith in humans. 2 weeks later, today, i bought a 1982 XR500R. 

Growing up, Mom, Dad and i rode bikes every Saturday, just to see how far we could go from dawn to dusk. Dad had a 305cc Scrambler, Mom a 350-4 and me on a 1969 SL90. Dad's 83 and still has a mid 80's Honda 400 twin.

I quickly graduated to MX racing on 250 and 350 Bultacos. I later stepped up to AMA flat track on a Bultaco Astro and later, a home-built Yamaha OW72.

I was a very OCD/ODD/ADHD kid, and i obsessed over things and rode like a maniac, sometimes wearing a Mexican wrestler's mask (I'm Elmer's Glue white and my Mom's name is Juanita) under my lid, so i got named 'El Extremo.'

In 1989 when i was 24, a friend was nearly killed on a BSA 650 in a crash near Strathmore, California.  My folks freaked out...i kinda freaked out...and my music career was pulling me in a different direction,  so i sold out and moved on.

I'm currently working as a full time guitarist and one of my drummer pals invited me on an excursion to Atolia, California recently. Our purpose was to scout a location for a video shoot. We got to talking bikes and my history, so he says, "You gotta see the Husky Memorial. "

It's after dark and we are in his 2020 Rubicon LWB, winding our way to the monument. When i got there,  i was stunned. No theft. No trash. No vandalism....all i could think of is "Man, these are my kinda people."

I told my guitarist friend about the trip and expressed how i wanted a bike. He said, "Dude...i used to race MX. Let me give you all my gear, armor, gloves, pants, jersey, boots, everything, so you can get started again!"

I started lookin at bikes and knew i didnt want EFI and all that. I wanted something tough, easy to get parts for and easy to fix. I also wanted something cool from my era, with a magneto and no trick CDI boxes.

I found a 1982 XR500R in Hesperis and it was clean. Asking price was $1,500 with current 2020 green decal. It started and ran good, so i offered the dude $1,000 cash and rode it 67 miles across the open desert, up and around Hill 582, through Cajon Canyon, Blue Cut and Devil's Canyon to get home.

It never missed a beat. It was scary 'A-F' and exhilarating at the same time.

A mutual friend came over and started pointing out the Supertrapp, Single 40mm Mikuni and sticker from "XR's Only." I rang up and described the bike. It's alleged to be either a 540 or 560cc with 'EdCo' modded head, Web 'Torqer' Cam, and a "Billet Basket," which i am assuming is clutch related.

The bike starts on the first 1/4 kick and idles good. It feels a little to high-geared (long-legged) for my low speed, crawly/climby style, so i will probably gear it down lower, even if top speed suffers.

The right side cover is cracked from a rock strike, the kickstand flange is bent, the skidplate is broke and the chain is worn quite a bit. It also has crappy fuel lines which I'm gonna soon replace. I did all my own work, so no sweat...

TBTH, I'm stoked, Man. 

So, just reaching out to say 'Wazzup' and introduce myself.  I got lotsa questions.

Here's the first pic, shot today near Devil's Canyon.

Peace...

20200203_135048.jpg

• Like 19

You brought the husky monument home and now you’re returning to dirt bike riding? A dirt bike is not like a guitar. The Older they are the worse they are. . Park that Vintage POS and get a newer bike if you’re serious about returning to ride

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bigbob said:

You brought the husky monument home and now you’re returning to dirt bike riding? A dirt bike is not like a guitar. The Older they are the worse they are. . Park that Vintage POS and get a newer bike if you’re serious about returning to ride

Don't listen to him! Looks like a good solid bike to me.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bigbob said:

"A dirt bike is not like a guitar..."

True! I had some vintage Gibson's that were turds, despite being very valuable.

"The older they are the worse they are..."

That's kinda like me!!!

Edited by El Extremo
L
  • Like 2

The only advice i got from bike guys whom i know personally was, "buy only KTM and only brand new..."

I'm getting back in on a shoestring budget with a mortgage and my wife and i are still engaged in a lot of philanthropy down in Central America where she is from.

I was only working with $1,000.00. 

I was finding all kinds of nice, late-model bikez, but with blown gearboxes or seized engines, so i kept moving.

In that price range, i was looking at a super clean (and well maintained) 1982 CR250, (asking $700) but the magnesium side covers and water reaction - and a $500.00 aluminum replacement - turned me off.

One guy had a super sanitary 2001 CR125 punched out to 144cc with different reed, chamber, jet kit...and it was a gorgeous bike and only $1,200.00 asking price, but i just had this feeling there was something wrong, though i couldn't tell you what it was.

I looked at a clean 1998 Husaberg FE350. These are the revised oil pump models and a big upgrade from the 'splash only' pre-98's, but scarce and somewhat expensive parts turned me off to that one.

The last one i was considering was a 1987 Suzuki DR200.  It was a clean survivor, but i am 6'3" x 210lbs, and i thought more seat height/suspension travel might be good for me.

I don't own a truck and finding a buddy with a schedule as flexible as mine was tough, especially for some bikes as far away as Camarillo.  So, since i literally live on a mountainside, and just on the other side of that Mountain is the high desert, i concentrated on bikes close enough to me that i could ride home. 

Hesperia is only 20 minutes from me on the freeway and i used to live there before moving to Miami in 2012, so i knows all the dirt roads.

The XR500R seemed like a good platform. It was decent, though not pristine. I'd prefer disc brakes, but at least its my first Mono Shock!!

I fit really comfortably on this bike and it feels really agile for its size when weaving ruts and rocks. Over bumps, its comfortable too.

Power wise, let me just say it's got enough to pull me and some equipment/gear. 

I feel like i want to gear it down lower. I need to count teeth, but i am not worried about top speed and would rather have pulling power.

Gotta find a skid plate, new chain, roller/sliders, a better used RH side cover, and i want to put in better brake lining.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, El Extremo said:

The XR500R seemed like a good platform. It was decent, though not pristine. I'd prefer disc brakes, but at least its my first Mono Shock!!

I fit really comfortably on this bike and it feels really agile for its size when weaving ruts and rocks. Over bumps, its comfortable too.

I feel like i want to gear it down lower. I need to count teeth, but i am not worried about top speed and would rather have pulling power.

Gotta find a skid plate, new chain, roller/sliders, a better used RH side cover, and i want to put in better brake lining.

great bike Man, when you crash that bike and bend the handlebars you can get one of these on ebay for spare parts

th.jpg

• Haha 2

what century is this? he can keep his vintage bike, he will need a newer bike to go riding is all I said 

Well, They'll stone you and say that it's the end
Then they'll stone you and then they'll come back again
They'll stone you when you're riding in your car
They'll stone you when you're playing your guitar
Yes, but I would not feel so all alone
Everybody must get stoned
.     - bob dylan

• Like 1

The only advice i got from bike guys whom i know personally was, "buy only KTM and only brand new..."
I'm getting back in on a shoestring budget with a mortgage and my wife and i are still engaged in a lot of philanthropy down in Central America where she is from.
I was finding all kinds of nice, late-model bikez, but with blown gearboxes or seized engines, so i kept moving.
In that price range, i was looking at a super clean (and well maintained) 1982 CR250, (asking $700) but the magnesium side covers and water reaction - and a $500.00 aluminum replacement - turned me off.
One guy had a super sanitary 2001 CR125 punched out to 144cc with different reed, chamber, jet kit...and it was a gorgeous bike and only $1,200.00 asking price, but i just had this feeling there was something wrong, though i couldn't tell you what it was.
I looked at a clean 1998 Husaberg FE350. These are the revised oil pump models and a big upgrade from the 'splash only' pre-98's, but scarce and somewhat expensive parts turned me off to that one.
The last one i was considering was a 1987 Suzuki DR200.  It was a clean survivor, but i am 6'3" x 210lbs, and i thought more seat height/suspension travel might be good for me.
I don't own a truck and finding a buddy with a schedule as flexible as mine was tough, especially for some bikes as far away as Camarillo.  So, since i literally live on a mountainside, and just on the other side of that Mountain is the high desert, i concentrated on bikes close enough to me that i could ride home. 
Hesperia is only 20 minutes from me on the freeway and i used to live there before moving to Miami in 2012, so i knows all the dirt roads.
Philanthropy as in you're single handedly supporting her extended family? Nice. Yeah, put that shit on the back burner and buy a new Husqvarna.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LoadedUpandTruckin said:
2 hours ago, El Extremo said:

Read more  

Philanthropy as in you're single handedly supporting her extended family? Nice. Yeah, put that shit on the back burner and buy a new Husqvarna.

No Sir...her family is very proud and refuse to accept help of any kind, despite living in severe poverty.

We have been putting in fresh water wells in a region that is affected by the drought. In and around Chakaraseca, in the state of Leon, there are only a few functioning wells, sometimes more than 50 miles apart.

When we get a well going, it provides water for literally hundreds of families.

TBTH, to me, that's better than a new Husky...

20190403_054058.jpg

20190403_054236.jpg

• Like 8