Jump to content

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, mick34 said:

So you think privateers who normally finish well outside the top 10 should run a wide bike and bang into a guy that’s most likely going to lap them? 

Haha good question. Another way to look at is it's their own fault. Factory riders should get the best starts, that's what they are paid to do. If a factory rider can't out start Friese then maybe they should hire him for some coaching.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Tye Durden said:

Haha good question. Another way to look at is it's their own fault. Factory riders should get the best starts, that's what they are paid to do. If a factory rider can't out start Friese then maybe they should hire him for some coaching.

Some of the best races with have seen are riders tearing through the pack and getting to the front. You all want that gone? 

Edited by mick34
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mick34 said:

Some of the beat races with have seen are riders tearing through the pack and getting to the front. You all want that gone? 

No, I was replying to your comment. Factory riders either need to get out front early, or deal with it. I think we have seen some of Tomac's best riding having to deal with crappy starts. Very entertaining.  Roczen too, though when he is on he is the master of gaining multiple positions on the first lap so it sort of nullifies a bad start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mick34 said:

Some of the best races with have seen are riders tearing through the pack and getting to the front. You all want that gone? 

On the opening lap, do you want all the privateers to pull over so Tomac, Baggett, Anderson, etc can freely resume racing for the win???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, MANIAC998 said:

On the opening lap, do you want all the privateers to pull over so Tomac, Baggett, Anderson, etc can freely resume racing for the win???

Opening laps is a free for all, I don’t think they get a choose. All I’ve said is if privateers started to do what Barcia done it would end bad 

  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, mick34 said:

Opening laps is a free for all, I don’t think they get a choose. All I’ve said is if privateers started to do what Barcia done it would end bad 

Let's be honest, I don't think there are any "true" privateers that would hold up a Tomac, Roczen, Weeb, ect.  Could they make it a little more difficult to pass, sure but a factory guy would punt a privateer off the track and get away with it if that ever happen.  The sad fact is Factory rider can get away with a lot compaired to a non factory dude.    

  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want to finish up front consistently, you need to nail the starts consistently.  Leave the head bangers behind! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 3:16 PM, Tye Durden said:

Haha good question. Another way to look at is it's their own fault. Factory riders should get the best starts, that's what they are paid to do. If a factory rider can't out start Friese then maybe they should hire him for some coaching.

I think a lot of it comes down to reaction time. The few times I've seen Tomac on the start with slow mo cam, it seems he a few ticks off. As in the other riders are moving forward as he's just popping the clutch. Or maybe he is extra cautious not wanting to get stuck in the gate

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

I think a lot of it comes down to reaction time. The few times I've seen Tomac on the start with slow mo cam, it seems he a few ticks off. As in the other riders are moving forward as he's just popping the clutch. Or maybe he is extra cautious not wanting to get stuck in the gate

Reaction time is on the order of milliseconds, timing the first shift and getting through the first turn without losing 5 spots is where the difference is.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Reaction time is on the order of milliseconds, timing the first shift and getting through the first turn without losing 5 spots is where the difference is.
But tomac is often behind in the first 10 yard , in sx you gave little room after that to get back into the lead pack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

I think a lot of it comes down to reaction time. The few times I've seen Tomac on the start with slow mo cam, it seems he a few ticks off. As in the other riders are moving forward as he's just popping the clutch. Or maybe he is extra cautious not wanting to get stuck in the gate

It's funny, this is the top echelon of dirt supercross/moto cross and yet technology pales to what the top level of auto racing is. I get it, not enough money in it. But, would it be so hard to have a start assist that was a gate sensor? Engage, rev it and hang on for an automatic clutch drop? Heck the rider would immediately take over clutch modulation maybe no one would figure it out and they'd just get consistently good starts. Sure the AMA might outlaw it, but that usually comes after someone dominates with a new technology like that. Think about NASCAR and all the shenanigans teams have done over the years to skirt or bend the rules to their advantage, seems like that is missing from MX and SX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well you got to figure they didn't even have e-start till a few years ago (cough Suzuki) and try to keep them light and bare bones. A gate drop sensor would be a little much. Just like how they don't allow in-helmet communication. 

I think the biggest gap / oddest thing in pro supercross / MX is the balance between making rules that apply to both multi-million dollar factory teams and a guy working out of a van. While sure some teams are funded better than others you don't see that much of a gap in like NASCAR or F1. You can't show up with a car you bought from a dealer the day before.

The money isn't there for 40 guys to show up in semi-trucks and a full support crew, although there isn't much to prevent these teams from having a huge advantage. Like with Press Day where a select few riders get extra practice on the track a day early. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

Well you got to figure they didn't even have e-start till a few years ago (cough Suzuki) and try to keep them light and bare bones. A gate drop sensor would be a little much. Just like how they don't allow in-helmet communication. 

I think the biggest gap / oddest thing in pro supercross / MX is the balance between making rules that apply to both multi-million dollar factory teams and a guy working out of a van. While sure some teams are funded better than others you don't see that much of a gap in like NASCAR or F1. You can't show up with a car you bought from a dealer the day before.

The money isn't there for 40 guys to show up in semi-trucks and a full support crew, although there isn't much to prevent these teams from having a huge advantage. Like with Press Day where a select few riders get extra practice on the track a day early. 

A few years ago I read the entry cost of fielding an F1 team is 100 million/year, for the teams that just show up and take last.  I'm just surprised there isn't a bit more bending the rules stuff, or out right breaking them. Maybe there is. I am not sure of the holomogation rules but yeah as a privateer you can get a pretty good start on a racing platform by stopping by at the dealer and picking up a new bike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dirtstache 556 said:

I think a lot of it comes down to reaction time. The few times I've seen Tomac on the start with slow mo cam, it seems he a few ticks off. As in the other riders are moving forward as he's just popping the clutch. Or maybe he is extra cautious not wanting to get stuck in the gate

Ya I would still rather be Tomac than Alessi though. How many years did we watch Alessi get the holeshot and then be in 10th by the end of the first lap...:smashpc:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mog said:
4 hours ago, mxaniac said:
Reaction time is on the order of milliseconds, timing the first shift and getting through the first turn without losing 5 spots is where the difference is.

But tomac is often behind in the first 10 yard , in sx you gave little room after that to get back into the lead pack

I just watched Glendale Moto 1 start and Tomac brakes at the first turn too soon.  Oakland he nailed.  San Diego was harder to tell from the broadcast angle but I think his timing was off on the first shift.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...