Mike Stroz

New Project- 1973 Honda XL70

Picked this little beauty up over the weekend. Overall in excellent shape but needs a ton of little things. Main pieces I need to get that aren't really available are the rear grab bar that the turn signals mount to and the exhaust. First thing I'm doing is replacing the seat cover and putting some Evaporust in the tank, and cleaning some rust out of the clutch mechanism.

20200208_181256.jpg

20200208_181306.jpg

• Like 4

First bike - 1972 SL70 rode that thing endlessly been hooked on bikes ever since. Looks like you wont need much great little bike! I actually didn't know they made an XL70 thought they went to the XR 75 which I dreamed about having!

3 minutes ago, BPPerformance said:

First bike - 1972 SL70 rode that thing endlessly been hooked on bikes ever since. Looks like you wont need much great little bike! I actually didn't know they made an XL70 thought they went to the XR 75 which I dreamed about having!

I think the XL70 is an upper trim SL70 with turn signals and mirrors, not entirely sure though. I know they're pretty damn rare. As far as I can tell every part of the SL70 is shared with the XL but the XL has extra bits on top

Interesting, mine did not have turn signals but I still remember taking the metal front fender off and putting on a Preston Petty plastic one with mud flap - I was so proud!

• Helpful 1

1 hour ago, BigDaddy22 said:

Hmmm, Looks familiar... I'm still looking for a front fender & taillight, yours look better than my $200 investment. 1974 model.

image.png.a3d3e4069290af649d4665aa576b03ed.png

Looks great, especially for $200! Mine was significantly more than that... But they're so rare I didn't mind too much. Wish I could find a grab bar that didn't have those tabs broken off for the turn signals. Taillight should be the same as a ct70 I believe. Standard Honda one they used for years. I had a busted turn signal and I just bough one off a CL350. Kind of looks like a parts bin special to me, most parts are shared between a bunch of models

have 1974 xl70 and it is same exact as yours , the burnt orange was 74 model year , red was 75 year , 76 was teal blue ,  (started building oct the year before)   yours looks great for $200 , and of course your has the NON standard exhaust pipe , that seems to be what happened to every small dirtbike from the 70s , mine still has the origional but it is mangled into a flatter version with openings everywhere from an impact with my best bud in 76

-2 dumb kids playing chicken and we both crashed and smashed up our pipes his was a red76-xr75 ,, they will run forever with minimal maintenance , got mine in 76 used and still runs ok with origional clutch and piston rings  , many thousand oil changes keeps it running great , it does show its age nowadays with some blue puffs of smoke and some slippage of clutch going up steep hills 

the sl70 was the predecessor of the xl70 , same horizontal cylinder motor and split rail frame in silver/grey , the xl had nicer lights and horn for the roadway legalities and black frame 

then in 77 they went to a xl75 with the xr75motor/frame and lights but a diff shaped fuel tank and a high pipe , gone was that low down pipe that always got impacted and mangled 

your still has both of those impossible to find triangle sidecovers  ,, seen them for $350 each at swap meets and auction sites ,

that is $700 for 2 plastic triangles ,, the front fenders also always got mangled up ,, looks like yours has the origional front tire still 

=sketchy on roadways and not so good in dirt= 

the seat cover can be gotten off ebay for $35 and are simple to place on and look great origional style 

keep the old toy going 

DDD

10 hours ago, Mike Stroz said:

Picked this little beauty up over the weekend. Overall in excellent shape but needs a ton of little things. Main pieces I need to get that aren't really available are the rear grab bar that the turn signals mount to and the exhaust. First thing I'm doing is replacing the seat cover and putting some Evaporust in the tank, and cleaning some rust out of the clutch mechanism.

20200208_181256.jpg

20200208_181306.jpg

Nice score, that looks like a fun project!

The SL70 had a more bulbous gas tank, the XL70's was more a coffin style. I thought 74 was the first year of the XL. I had one just like the ones picture, and rode the snot out of it.

1 minute ago, hondaxr650rrrr said:

The SL70 had a more bulbous gas tank, the XL70's was more a coffin style. I thought 74 was the first year of the XL. I had one just like the ones picture, and rode the snot out of it.

Apparently it is a 1974, I never even checked until now. The guy I got it from said 73 so I went with that. It was made in august of 1973 I believe the tag said so I see why he thought that

Just now, cman60 said:

Looks like a great project. Hope you can keep us up to date with some pics.

Absolutely, I'm hoping to start on it this weekend with the seat cover, tank, and maybe brakes and clutch

Update: engine ran for about 30 seconds but kickstart isn't working. Any ideas? Also got the new seat cover on and the tank is full of evaporust. Working on the clutch now

Got the kickstart working. Apparently the clutch was sticking. Also got the busted turn signal replaced, the broken clutch handle replaced, the rear fender actually attached, and the taillight bracket straightened out

• Like 1

Starting to come together now. It's not gonna be a show bike, just a fun little backroads/backwoods bomber. I think I need beefier shocks to haul all my 220 lbs around lol. The old muffler snapped when I took it off but my plan is to take it to a muffler shop and rework it for my z50r

IMG_20200213_204608_01.jpg

20200213_204634.jpg

• Like 1

getting a true xl70 exhaust is a zillion-dollar-quest  from a swap-meet or internet-shop  or  parts-supply-house 

they ALL know it is impossible to find ,, so you can find plenty of imitations of "origional pipe" at ultra-kostly prices  

for a "rider" anything you can get to work will work fine  , re-working that 45yr old rusted pipe is sketchy  , 

there are asian markets on the internet that make up "copies " that can work great and cost is reasonable ,,

I am gonna buy off ebay one from thailand  they seem most origional-ish and affordable   around $65

but wont be OEM museum quality ,,    my old orange toy  is using its thrashed leaking origional sqwuashed pipe  with seven exit holes 

you can get any tail light from 1970-1989 for those small hondas up to 350cc , they were all the same pretty much and plentiful and low priced 

I have never seen a xl70 with rear signals , think they broke off  at the dealership ,,

the chromed grab bar works for lifting bike but not holding signals ,,, the tabs must have been glued on with bubble gum

also buy  new real quality ignition points and condenser and sparkplug     about $25 set

have fun riding the toy 

DDD 

oh forgot to mention the xl70 will -NOT- start with the clutch lever pulled in = it disengages the kick lever to crank connection

xl70 does not have the dirtbike style kick assy  like a xr75  ,,,,,,  xl70 must be in neutral and clutch-lever out for a kick to spin motor =very streetbike 

the inner and outer clutch assy must be grabbing for the kick lever to spin the clutch basket assembly

and thus the crank gear to move the piston and start the bike 

with clutch lever pulled in the kicker will drop very easily , cause your only rotating the the kick lever gear and one other internal gear 

and NOT the entire clutch assy and thus main crank gear ,,,, if the wiring is still functioning you have a green neutral light on the speedo

but for 45yrs I have just rocked bike for neutral and then kicked away  

way back in 76 I tossed out the 6V battery and just connected the red and black battery wires so not need a $12 battery

( i was a cheapskate as a kid also)

this will pop turn signal light-bulbs at higher RPMs ,,   but headlight has endured 44yrs no problems and will dim at low RPMs 

DDD

Coming along nicely great memories of my Blue and white SL 70, The orange color brings back another bike memory and I wonder if anyone else had a "Boss Gemini 80"? my second bike which broke every 20 feet. 

Looks like I have nearly everything I need to get this bike back on the trails. Last things are the exhaust, grab bar (can't seem to find one that's not broken), stator cover because mine has a chunk missing, ignition switch, maybe a couple mirrors, and tires eventually because they're original from 1973... If anyone has some parts please let me know, I'm thinking I'll get a z50 aftermarket exhaust because apparently a few of those fit alright