Bryan Brooks

Can any one help me with this

2 hours ago, jeffrey sisti said:

Not only that but KTM does not make a 300sx, you can make a 250sx into a 300sx but KTM did not produce a 300 motocross bike.

According to ktm they do produce a 300 mx version 

Screenshot_20200212-200809_Drive.jpg

99 300MXC - that fork was really good and both the fork and shock were much better than 98.  They just didn't get the shock right in 98 but changed the needle for 99.  I would just get them rebuilt and concentrate on freshening things up - no need to put a lot of money in it.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

I don't think it's an SX. It has the mount for a kickstand. The SX's didn't have the frame pieces to be able to mount that.

I've owned a couple KTM's of this era and all the older riders on some KTM facebook pages absolutely rant and rave about the right side up forks of the 98-99 models. But that probably because it took KTM 6-7 years to really make any improvements to upside down forks.

21 hours ago, jeb said:

I don't think it's an SX. It has the mount for a kickstand. The SX's didn't have the frame pieces to be able to mount that.

Hey it is how ever a MXC the difference  is the gear box 

Screenshot_20200213-060507_Chrome.jpg

Yep, that is the major difference. I owned a 98 380MXC. Always wished I'd bought the EXC since I ran enduros. In those days, the MXC and SX models shared the same tranny.

• Helpful 1

WP 50mm extremes, still the best woods forks out there IMO.  Put Torco 15W in the rebound and 10w in the comp and you can ride most any conditions.  The manual will call for 5w, and as we all know the viscosity of fork fluid is all over the place.   I remember putting 7w in mine back in the day and thinking WTF.  I also remember the let down of the 2000 model I bought with the 43mm forks.  We have 5 bikes with the 50mm forks, the 99 shock still needs some work, but most of ours have Ohlins or a newer PDS. 

The vin is normally correct, the fender with the brace was on EXC models only, this could be added.  If you want to verify the CCs, a 300 has 72mm stroke, the 250 was 69.5 back then.  (it will be stamped on the left side of the cyl at the base)  If there is a regulator on the wiring, it is prob an exc.   We have EXC and MXC / SX gear boxes, they both have their +-.   It is def a 99, in 99 they added the hydrolic clutch and still had the WP 50mm forks.

Shoot me a pm if you have any questions, we have several bikes of that vintage.

Edited by RodC

On 2/11/2020 at 7:39 PM, NCPT said:

Either the guy doesn't know what he has or he is lying to you. 

Or it's stolen and that's why the guy selling it knows nothing about it.