ThumperTalk

How long have you been riding dirtbikes?

How long have you been riding dirtbikes?  

204 members have voted

1. 1. How long have you been riding dirtbikes?

• Less than one year
    • 1 - 4 years
    • 5 - 9 years
    • 10- 15 years
    • 16 - 20 years
    • 21- 30 years
    • 31 - 40 years
    • 41- 50 years
    • 51+ years

I got my first bike, a Hodaka Ace 90 in the summer of 1970. Rode dirt for about 4 years, then stopped. Started back on dirt six years ago. So if you count time I owned and rode a dirt bike, only 10 or so years, but I started 50 years ago.

• Like 4

Heck yeah...  My Dad took a 125 cc Harley Hummer ( 2 stroke ) and rigged it that it had wheelbarrow wheels on it at age 7..  He was always tinkering around stuff.. He enjoyed it the most when someone said "  You can't do that, " or  " that won't work "  That was 67 years ago...    God, I wish I had that bike..

• Like 2

It's pretty close to 50 years for me BUT...I did have some time spent (wasted?) on car activities but came back to my fav.  

• Like 3

Heck yeah...  My Dad took a 125 cc Harley Hummer ( 2 stroke ) and rigged it that it had wheelbarrow wheels on it at age 7..  He was always tinkering around stuff.. He enjoyed it the most when someone said "  You can't do that, " or  " that won't work "  That was 67 years ago...    God, I wish I had that bike..
My first riding buddy rode a Hummer. Painted up like Captain America from Easy Rider. We went everywhere we shouldn't have!
  • Haha 1

Just now, kcposty said:
2 hours ago, NoBs said:

My first riding buddy rode a Hummer. Painted up like Captain America from Easy Rider. We went everywhere we shouldn't have!

Had a 5 year old buddy of mine that sometimes rode on the back.  All dirt roads back in the day.  Both of us had to help push it up a steep dirt rocky hill to get on the " flats " as we called them.  We couldn't make it w/out the push.  At least it didn't stall because the super low gearing caused by the wheelbarrow wheels.  My brother bought it new and found out quick it just didn't any power to go up hills at any kind of speed. He was going in the service and told Pop to make something for the kid, which of course was me.  I still remember when you took off the gas cap there was a cylindrical tube attached to the cap which measured the amount of oil to put in an empty tank..  But hey, at least I can say my first bike was a " Harley "  Lol..

• Helpful 1

50 Plus years

I counted mini bikes, I was trying to jump those no suspension bikes in the early 60's. Then on to Honda SL100, Kx125, elsinore MT125, 74 Husky 250WR. The Husky was bought and paid for with paper routes and dishwasher jobs. Damm I thought I was fast on that bike. I had no fear on that. I rode it till it was completely worn out. Husky 610, Ktm 300 xcw, Ktm 250 tpi.

Non stop and still love it.

Anybody else see a problem here. Either we need to introduce all the young guys to Thumpertalk or we need to introduce the young guys (and gals) to dirt bikes and Thumpertalk.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

In 1967 I found a hand built mini bike frame without wheels, with my paper route money I bought wheels and a 3 hp tecumseh engine and a centrifugal clutch. Two years later it was a used Yamaha mini enduro, I rode the wheels of of that. Good times!

Edited by 2milehighspike
  • Like 3