2001 honda xr200r new project

Hey everyone, just picked up a new project yesterday.  2001 Honda xr200r and got the original certificate of origin which seems to be rare these days for any offroad toy.  So much theft lately it's good to have.  I had been looking for a simple trail bike for a while and prices are just crazy high for beat to hell bikes.  Got this one for $750.

Definetly needs some love, wasnt cleaned regularly so I wasnt sure how it really looked under the dirt and grease.  Started in a few kicks and went through the gears.  As I began tearing it down and cleaning it's actually in pretty good shape aside from usual bumps and bruises for being 19 years old.  Needs a rear tire and previous owner had already bought one from the local honda dealer and included it in the sale.  Airbox was a bit of a mess but nothing made it past the filter.  I quickly found out the insulator between the carb and head was very brittle and started cracking as I touched it.

Have an insulator ordered as well as a new spark plug, oem air filter, would have upgraded as I read these could use a better flowing setup but had already ordered the OEM one.  I'll pull the very top duct which seems to be a common mod.  Couple orings and a rear tube so I have two in case one gets pinched.  Also bought a size up main and pilot in case it needs it but read these are a bit rich from the factory.  I'm at sea level on the east coast.  Already have oil ready for the change.  Will check valves and adjust timing chain once the bikes back together and running.  I dont plan to go wild trying to modify this bike, just wanted something reliable with okay torque to hit the trails.    If anyone has any recommendations feel free to share.  Picture of when I got the bike and current all torn down for cleaning, parts should be in monday from rockymountain.

Screenshot_20200213-171823_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200213-171829_Gallery.jpg

Check the decompression cable and be sure it is adjusted per manual.

Take off the cover to clean out the oil centrifuged system.  Most likely it’s never been cleaned.

Not sure if your bike has grease fittings in the suspension.  Those should be lubed.

Use iridium plugs.  They are much better in my opinion.

23 minutes ago, wazzabie said:

Check the decompression cable and be sure it is adjusted per manual.

Take off the cover to clean out the oil centrifuged system.  Most likely it’s never been cleaned.

Not sure if your bike has grease fittings in the suspension.  Those should be lubed.

Use iridium plugs.  They are much better in my opinion.

I will adjust decomp cable after the valve adjustment as per the manual.  I did read about cleaning the oil filter rotor behing the cover, I'm sure most people just check the screen when they pull the drain plug.  Will have a gasket for that cover ordered as well as clutch cover gasket.

There is a grease fitting on the rear engine mount tube I'll lube up.

New oem airfilter is on the way, I have a bottle of belray filter oil.  I wasnt sure if they came pre oiled or not.  Current one isnt torn but just looks like a mess, didn't feel it worth cleaning.

As far as plug goes I ordered the OEM ngk dr8es-l.  But they are cheap so I can get a few others if need be.

Edited by eskimo619

Oem Honda filters come pre oiled.

With the bottle of bel ray oil just use a nail to punch the seal rather then removing the entire cover on the opening.

You would be surprised at how well a filter will clean.  If the filter has any foam falling off in chunks toss it.  If filter has any rips especially around the seams toss it.

3 minutes ago, wazzabie said:

Oem Honda filters come pre oiled.

With the bottle of bel ray oil just use a nail to punch the seal rather then removing the entire cover on the opening.

You would be surprised at how well a filter will clean.  If the filter has any foam falling off in chunks toss it.  If filter has any rips especially around the seams toss it.

Okay cool, so I wont have to worry about oiling it.  I'm sure the current one would be reusable but it just looked very worn, probably quite old.  New filter wasnt too expensive to figured I'd go new.

Last filter I oiled was for a 1986 honda cr500 I restored last year, that stuff is so messy and never goes on easily.  But I do it in a clean oil pan which helps contain the mess along with gloves.

Just put in a second order for a few things.  Should have everything I need by Monday to get it all back together.

I had a '90s xr200. Thing was great and took a pounding. From personal experience, I would recommend checking the timing chain sprockets for wear.  I jumped a tooth on the chain, then it sortof went wrong the second time... Pic of new vs old crank timing sprocket. Cam was no better. And the new vs old timing guide/tensioner... and if you have aluminium in your oil seperator, that may be from the chain being sloppy and hitting the case. Just my 2cents. Have fun!

20180802_085038.jpg

20180802_084821.jpg

20180802_085447.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wazzabie said:

wow that is some bad wear on your timing chain gear.  It looks like some teeth are more worn then others.  How difficult was it to remove and replace the timing gear off the crank?

The tools were the toughest to find and jury rig together. Mine was press fit. No guide pin to make sure of timing, so I had to install it a few times. Some heat was involved on the new gear. This was a few years ago,  i'll see if i still have the tools when i get home.

20180802_172710.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chilibreath said:

I had a '90s xr200. Thing was great and took a pounding. From personal experience, I would recommend checking the timing chain sprockets for wear.  I jumped a tooth on the chain, then it sortof went wrong the second time... Pic of new vs old crank timing sprocket. Cam was no better. And the new vs old timing guide/tensioner... and if you have aluminium in your oil seperator, that may be from the chain being sloppy and hitting the case. Just my 2cents. Have fun!

20180802_085038.jpg

20180802_084821.jpg

20180802_085447.jpg

I'll definetly check them out.  Adjusting the timing chain is on the to do list.  I know its suppost to be done with the motor running and breaking the bigger nut loose and it "should" auto tension but I've read sometimes they stick.  I'll be getting a m3x.5 bolt to screw into the tensioner from the top as I've seen some do and manually push and pull up on the tensioner to make sure it's free and functioning and actually tightening.  Valve adjustment, decomp adjustment and timing adjustment comming this weekend depending when parts show up.  

Fought with the getting the rear tire replaced today.  Axle was fairly frozen and wouldnt slide out.  Made the mistake of hammering on the end without the nut in place and messed up the threads on the axle.  Tried to salvage it and stripped the nut too.  Good thing they are readily available and not too pricey so new ones on the way.  I think the rear wheel may have never been off this bike, think it's a low hour bike overall just wasnt maintained super well but not beat either.  But the tire was super stiff and didnt cooperate at all.  Finally got it replaced with a new tube, miracle I didnt pinch it during install.  Guess I'll really see if I was successful tomorrow if it's still holding air lol.  Edit: Checked the tire and seemed like it had very little air after sitting the last hour and a half.  No noticeable hissing when filled up.  It's also a very stiff tire and in a cold garage so it doesnt feel flat to the touch.  Just filled it again and will check in the morning.  If I pinched the tube I'll be taking it to a shop and have it redone.  Too much of a pain if I'm going to keep popping tubes doing it without a stand and better spoons.

Also found front and rear brake shoes are basically done for so have new brakes on the way.  Already had to spend about $180 on parts which is more than expected but bike should be well sorted when finished.  Certainly much cleaner than others I've seen for sale locally, if I decided to sell in the future I'm sure I'll get my money back no problem especially having the certificate of origin.  So much theft lately people are worried about buying bikes without paperwork and I don't blame them.  Had a bike stolen from me last year and thankfully got It back.

20200214_183954.jpg

Edited by eskimo619

Sounds good. My bike had an unknown number of hours, was abused and left in a ditch... Then the people i bought it from registered it and didn't do any maintenance. So my sprockets were probably a rare case.

Sounds like even with your trouble you will have a great bike soon.

1 hour ago, Chilibreath said:

Sounds good. My bike had an unknown number of hours, was abused and left in a ditch... Then the people i bought it from registered it and didn't do any maintenance. So my sprockets were probably a rare case.

Sounds like even with your trouble you will have a great bike soon.

I mean I cant say for sure its low hour but under all the grease most of the paint is in nice shape.  Sprockets are in good shape, chain isnt bad I degreased it and have some chain lube on the way, they may be original too.  But its completely stock and doesnt look to have been tampered with.  Got the certificate of origin from the guy I bought it from, he said he was the second owner and only had it less than a year.  Have original manuals as well some honda hand gaurds.  I figured why not grab it for $750, looks like I'll have around $200 in parts so under a grand for a solid 200 isnt bad considering what others are going for.  I love wrenching so even if I just sell it I've enjoyed working on it so far.

And looks like I definetly pinched the tube, filled it up twice since earlier and is losing air.  The tire is so stiff it barely flexes when pressing on it.  I'll worry about that once the bike is all back together and running well.  Have enough left to do before worrying about the tire again.  Pain in the ass lol.

Edited by eskimo619

2 hours ago, eskimo619 said:

I mean I cant say for sure its low hour but under all the grease most of the paint is in nice shape.  Sprockets are in good shape, chain isnt bad I degreased it and have some chain lube on the way, they may be original too.  But its completely stock and doesnt look to have been tampered with.  Got the certificate of origin from the guy I bought it from, he said he was the second owner and only had it less than a year.  Have original manuals as well some honda hand gaurds.  I figured why not grab it for $750, looks like I'll have around $200 in parts so under a grand for a solid 200 isnt bad considering what others are going for.  I love wrenching so even if I just sell it I've enjoyed working on it so far.

And looks like I definetly pinched the tube, filled it up twice since earlier and is losing air.  The tire is so stiff it barely flexes when pressing on it.  I'll worry about that once the bike is all back together and running well.  Have enough left to do before worrying about the tire again.  Pain in the ass lol.

Well, my pos sold for 900 in California... with full disclosure on the history of the bike lol. So I bet you're right about the value. The tire was just luck for me. I had access to a tire machine that at least held the rim in place and a lot of bars and some soapy water. And hurt fingers trying to keep the tube safe. Worste case is you take the wheel to a shop, right?

Heres a picture... I got the bike free and broke even on it lol.

20190205_104020.jpg

46 minutes ago, Chilibreath said:

Well, my pos sold for 900 in California... with full disclosure on the history of the bike lol. So I bet you're right about the value. The tire was just luck for me. I had access to a tire machine that at least held the rim in place and a lot of bars and some soapy water. And hurt fingers trying to keep the tube safe. Worste case is you take the wheel to a shop, right?

Heres a picture... I got the bike free and broke even on it lol.

20190205_104020.jpg

I knew I shouldn't have even tried as I fully knew before hand I'd probably pinch the tube lol.  But couldnt help myself to try.  I'll call a local shop in the morning and hopefully they have the tube in stock, they shouldnt even have to pull the tire completely off to get the old tube out and new one in.  Crazy how stiff the tire is it doesnt even feel flat, it almost feels like a tire that's just a little low on air it's so stiff.  But its definetly lost air twice from fully inflated.  Last shop I brought a set of wheels to did them with no stand or anything just right on the floor and it gave them a lot of trouble.  I'm sure other shops have more wheel equipment to make things easier.  

And is that a picture of when you got it or after you worked on it?  They arent fast but will take you anywhere and reliably.  Mine should be done middle of next week.  Weather hasnt been good for riding but should be able to test it out.

34 minutes ago, eskimo619 said:

I knew I shouldn't have even tried as I fully knew before hand I'd probably pinch the tube lol.  But couldnt help myself to try.  I'll call a local shop in the morning and hopefully they have the tube in stock, they shouldnt even have to pull the tire completely off to get the old tube out and new one in.  Crazy how stiff the tire is it doesnt even feel flat, it almost feels like a tire that's just a little low on air it's so stiff.  But its definetly lost air twice from fully inflated.  Last shop I brought a set of wheels to did them with no stand or anything just right on the floor and it gave them a lot of trouble.  I'm sure other shops have more wheel equipment to make things easier.  

And is that a picture of when you got it or after you worked on it?  They arent fast but will take you anywhere and reliably.  Mine should be done middle of next week.  Weather hasnt been good for riding but should be able to test it out.

That was the craigslist sales picture. This is the only other pic i have... That right side cover costs way more than it should for plastic. I did a local hill climb in 2nd gear on it. People laughed, but whatever. 300 pound gorilla just means more traction!

20180607_144740.jpg

9 hours ago, Chilibreath said:

That was the craigslist sales picture. This is the only other pic i have... That right side cover costs way more than it should for plastic. I did a local hill climb in 2nd gear on it. People laughed, but whatever. 300 pound gorilla just means more traction!

20180607_144740.jpg

Yeah that was in fairly rough shape when you got it.  I did look into new plastics and prices are crazy.  I think it's ridiculous they dont make kits for bikes like these like they do for mx bikes.  None of mine are cracked or missing just show wear but are original.  I'll clean them up, maybe hit them with a couple rounds of wet sanding and buff them out just to bring back a little shine.  And then pick up some new tank decals to finish things off.