TheJRM

New England Woods Bike Decision

I am so torn...

I have a GREAT offer on a brand new 2020 WR250F. Love my WR250R, but am ready to step up to a lighter, more powerful (and better sprung) enduro for true woods riding.

A couple of buddies are pushing me towards KTM XC-W (250 or 300). Lots of great deals on lightly used models around here, most of which are the non-tpi versions.

I'm keeping the WR250R for short commuting and dual sport purposes.

I plan on plating whichever bike I go with (plating a KTM in MA is a very straight forward/easy process).

Loved the nimbleness of the KTM - my buddy's 300 XC-W TPI felt like an MTB with a motor!

But I also have an affinity for Yamahas and it looks like the 2020 WR250F will be quite the ripper.

No plans to race, but we ride a lot of single track and I plan on doing some long days up north (NH) and down south (Freetown St. Forest). Spending 5 - 6 miles on the road to get to/between trails around home base is a common occurrence too...

Stats (if they matter):

5'11
170 lbs
44 and very fit
Looking to really up my off road game and perhaps even jump into a few off road events (just for fun)

• Like 1

Show your Euro bike friends it can be done equally well on a Yamaha

plus, enjoy better suspension than them.

Not sure about the 2020 WR250F but earlier models had to be 'un-corked' by removing an air inlet restriction (?) 

and replacing the ECU with a GYTR 'competition' unit to achieve their maximum power potential.

The bike comes with 2 maps and is super easy to tune now via the Yamaha power app.  That's another plus.  I hear you on the suspension - by all accounts, it's superior.  I guess I just worry about the extra heft of the 4 stroke off road in the tight stuff.

You are already used to a 300lbs WR250R,

the F is lighter and no doubt much better balanced.

For myself, the seat height of the F seems a bit of a drawback but yourself at 5'11" it shouldn't be an issue.

Edited by mlatour

Nothing wrong with a WR250F (I own one), but if you really want to up your game, make the shift to a Euro 300 2 stroke.  Less stalling and quite a bit lighter feel in the tight stuff.

Also a 250F 4 stroke enduro is about equal in performance to a 150/200 cc 2 stroke enduro.  300cc 2 stroke = to about 400-450 4 stroke in performance.

I love the durability of Yamahas, but you will get better performance out of the Euro 2 strokes.

• Like 2

I keep hearing great things about those Beta 200rr models.  Can the 200 roll down the highway for a few miles at 60 mph without blowing up?  What are the vibes like on the non counterbalanced models?

few miles, sure. 30 miles? I'd be unhappy with that. I don't really notice the vibes at all anymore, coming off counterbalanced 4 strokes. But I also have BRP isolation mounts on all 3 bikes. 

I'd be more weary of any sustained high rpms / speeds on a 2-stroke,

especially if it's set up a tad lean to avoid fouling up in slower technical trails.

If a lot of on-road use is anticipated, I'd richen the main jet by a few sizes.

Sustained 60 MPH depends on gearing and, your tolerance to buzz the engine.

With a slightly steeper final drive ratio favoring trail grunt (stock is 3.79, currently at 3.84)

my CRF250X will cruise cruise at 50-55 MPH at about 1/2 throttle but in the interest

of engine longetivity (and decent fuel mileage) I don't push it any faster for sustained periods.

Edited by mlatour

My specialty, I ride a 2018 ktm 250 xc-w with a carb, and I'm glad I got the carb model, the tpi one was right there for $500 more. With a ktm there is no stalling at all and with the 300 better yet, these bikes are torque monsters. You can't go wrong because if you don't like it you can get your money back instantly, but you'll love it. they are light and nimble as can be and very reliable as well. I wouldn't buy anything older than a 2015 because the starters were problems on the 2 strokes, and the tpi's on the newer ones may also be a problem. Any other questions just ask.

Thanks guys.  When riding local, there are times that I have to jump on the highway or extension for 1 - 2 miles to quickly get to the trails.  I'll probably end up going with the 250 XC-W as I can get a great deal on a lightly used one.  I really don't want a new bike as I would hate to watch it get beat up from all of the drops and tip overs it'll inevitably take.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, jeffrey sisti said:

My specialty, I ride a 2018 ktm 250 xc-w with a carb, and I'm glad I got the carb model, the tpi one was right there for $500 more. With a ktm there is no stalling at all and with the 300 better yet, these bikes are torque monsters. You can't go wrong because if you don't like it you can get your money back instantly, but you'll love it. they are light and nimble as can be and very reliable as well. I wouldn't buy anything older than a 2015 because the starters were problems on the 2 strokes, and the tpi's on the newer ones may also be a problem. Any other questions just ask.

Awesome!  Yeah, I'm a little nervous about those oil injectors/pumps on the TPIs - from my understanding, if that thing fails, your bike is TOAST.  For a hard use bike, I just want to keep it as simple (and light) as possible.  From everything I have heard and seen so far, it really seems like the 250 or 300 XCW will be the best fit for my needs.

I really appreciate all of the feedback.

• Like 2

I have been going back and forth with a guy that owns a 2017 250 XC-W.  33 hours on the clock.  Bike has a ton of add ons and is in like new condition.  If I can seal the deal, this will be my next bike.

Hoping to unload my 2018 VStrom to make up for the purchase!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheJRM said:

I have been going back and forth with a guy that owns a 2017 250 XC-W.  33 hours on the clock.  Bike has a ton of add ons and is in like new condition.  If I can seal the deal, this will be my next bike.

Hoping to unload my 2018 VStrom to make up for the purchase!

I would grab that 2017 250 xc-w, it's like a new bike. It's worth 5k at least.

I just went from a WR250F nicely setup to a ktm 300 xcw.  I bleed blue love the reliability but have to admit the ktm is a better bike to ride.  Go with the xcw 300 tons of low end torque. Very nice.  Took me a year to be convinced but when I rode theirs enough times I had to admit ktm has the better trail bike. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jeffrey sisti said:

yea the bike is 3 years old now but still new with some extras, make that offer before it's gone. It's a great bike.

Will do.  It's set up with everything I'd want to have on the bike save radiator guards, blinkers (need them for MA) and perhaps a fan.  Going to try to seal the deal this weekend.