So far, so good!

I got my 2006 250x Wednesday and these past few days I have been changing fluids and cleaning all the crap from the previous owner. Today I picked up my front street tire (waiting on the rear) and for it mounted. Took the bike on a few laps around town today, maybe an hour all together. My question is, how often are you guys who ride street quite a bit, changing your fluids? I’m planning on every 15 hours. Ordered 2 small computer fans to install for when the weather warms up as well. Bike honestly did really well on the street, got a few dirty looks from pedestrians but that makes it fun.

How many of you ride yours on mainly street? Also, definitely needing a sprocket change, stock gearing is NOT well for the road [emoji23] keeping 5th gear at around 40mph so I don’t have a long distance high rev

IMG_3139.JPG

Depends how you use it really, 15hrs would be fine for normal use imo, I’ve changed mine every 15hrs and the oil looks good.

Keep an eye on the oil level before you set off every ride they have a tendency to use oil, I generally loose about a quarter off the dip stick.

• Like 2

Depends how you use it really, 15hrs would be fine for normal use imo, I’ve changed mine every 15hrs and the oil looks good.

Keep an eye on the oil level before you set off every ride they have a tendency to use oil, I generally loose about a quarter off the dip stick.

Perfect! Will do!! Anything else to look or check for besides basic pre-ride inspection

I've never even gone 5 hours on engine oil on a CRF. It doesn't hold hardly any, and it is high revving. You can get away with changing trans oil every 2nd or 3rd change if you change the engine oil as frequently as I do, and even the oil filter every other time, but after 3-4 hours on engine oil, out it comes. It takes about two minutes to drain it and refill it.

A 5 qt jug of Mobil one is $25, which is 160 ounces. or 6 oil changes. That works out to about $4 per change. Not worth the brain damage to worry about stretching the interval.

3-4 hours?!? If you’re happy literally burning money, sure crack on.

8-10 is sufficiently conservative. If you’re putting in cheap junk oil, then yeah maybe up the intervals but then you have to question the saving in doing so.

For me 15 is absolutely fine, really depends how you ride the thing and maintain it.

It’s not going to fall apart because you’ve gone past 4-5 hours on an oil change, that’s just wasteful.

• Like 1

Its kind of strange and interesting all at the same time, if you look at the competition use maintenance schedule in the owners manual it says after the first oil change the interval is "about every 15.0 hrs".  But then just below that a couple of lines it also says, replace piston and piston rings "about every 15.0 hrs".

I dont agree with either one these recommendations. 15 hrs of competitive pace or type of riding is extreme for that small of an amount of oil. Also 15             hrs for piston or ring replacement is definitely on the low side but thats what it says.     

Then if you look at the other maintenance schedule in the owners manual, which is specified as "regular off road use" or non competition the oil change interval after the first one is listed at every 600 miles. Also on this schedule there is no listing for piston and piston ring replacement. 

So it seems that the conditions of use and what is needed, is really what should determine what the maintenance intervals are.

I personally dont think changing the oil at 4-5 hrs is a waste of time or money and makes sense if you run the bike even moderately hard, and dont think the engine oil should ever look or get dirty since there is less than a qt of oil in it total. But I also dont agree with the idea that, "its normal for these bikes to burn some oil". My 05 doesnt and if it started to then its time to freshen up the engine again. 

Edited by TDW

We all know better than Honda now? Their competition schedule is 15.

I think you’ll find your oil and filter is perfectly fine after 15. It’s not as clean as the oil that went in, but that’s because it’s served its purpose. If it comes out as clean as it went in, I’d argue you’re wasting oil.

End of the day stick to whatever schedule you’re comfortable with, but

With the OP talking about setting up a 250X for street riding or dual sport, IMO it will be quite important to stay current on this type of maintenance, but yeah ultimately the maintenance schedule is your decision.