TM 250MX and 450 MX...

OK... I've been given permission to get a new bike. I have a '02 YZ250F that I LOVE but you can never have too many bikes. I've realized with my YZ250F down right now for a suspension revalve and new airbox that having two MX bikes would be really great, but since my fiancee rides a TTR125LE on the trails I also have realized that I need a bike that isn't so hard to ride slowly... I know these two things are totally apposed. I've been searching the web to figure out what I want. I live in California so I want something green stickered. For a while I was thinking KTM since they are green sticker, or an '02 YZ250 or '02 CR250... I looked at Husabergs, ATKs, Husqavarnas, VORs... I looked at getting anouther BMW F650GS (I had one and traded it for the R1150GS so my fiancee could go with me when I ride on the street). I looked at XRs and WRs and TTRs. I looked at 50s and other playbikes...

While looking I came accross a TM 450 MX... I had never heard of one. In the picture it looked like a works bike. The pipe and engine covers were all natural metal, the forks Ohlins, the kick was on the correct side ;-), the color of the frame and plastic was awesome... I googled the bike to see who made it, when I found it, it wasn't clear TM was a manufacturer, I thought maybe it was a Husky or something that was not normally US available or something.

I found MotoTM.com. I looked at the spec sheets after digging and I was even more entranced... Hydrolic clutch, ohlins forks, nissin brakes... I did some poking on this forum to see what people thought... They seem to be reliable and high quality... (Two things I'm not used to from Italy having friends with Ducatis and Ferraries).

I guess I'm looking for more feedback from owners. In this forum it was suggested that the all the motors are the same except for the cylender, piston, and head. Even more they are just a different bore/stroke.... Is that true? Is the bike green stickered in CA?

I'm thinking of getting the a 450 and if it is as it seems replacing my 250F with the TM 250F in a year or two (I've always really like the idea of having a matching 250/450 combo...)

TM is one of the best Enduro bike manifacturer on the field since '80's. The bike is really good (but a new frame for 2005 will make it better handling).

The Italians are the best quality bikes available ?, I only suggest you to test both TM and VOR to see what do you prefer.

:awww: , alessandro.

TM is one of the best Enduro bike manifacturer on the field since '80's. The bike is really good (but a new frame for 2005 will make it better handling).

The Italians are the best quality bikes available ?, I only suggest you to test both TM and VOR to see what do you prefer.

My opinion is that the 2004-frame is already OK, and the rest of the bike is also great (except fitting of some plastic parts, which can be modified using a heating-gun).

It's definitely something not anyone else is riding/dares to ride (even in Europe).

Don't know about your green sticker-business, I guess it's something typical Californian concerning environmental-rules (but you can get some green stickers at your local bike-shop :awww:).

By the way, those green stickers, do they also have to be on an MX-bike (not for road-use, so....) ?

The TM and VOR frame have the same designer in common, I still have my 2000 TM125MX and believe it to be far better than any other 125 of the same year except in some minor fitting of plastics and finish of electrics.

Here we don't have green sticker either. We do have a red sticker, boy racers avoid it like the plague. Cops slap that on their screen and they start ?

Take one MX bike, a set of indicators, head light and brake light add a mirror and horn and your road legal ? now where's my RC570 :awww:

Go for it, I have a '02 TM 400MX and it's the best bike I've ever ridden. The motor feels like a CRF450 with a bit less bottom end. The fork is a bit soft (Paioli on mine), shock is amazing. The handling is excellent, it will steal the inside line from an RM! The only place the handling can use some help is in the sand, it feels a bit unstable at times. Mind you before this bike I've always owned KX's and they are a VERY stable bike, so almost anything feels unstable in comparison.

The fit and finish isn't as good as a Japanese bike, but I found that the plastic seemed to fit better after the bike got some hours on it. Apparently the 2004's are much improved in this area.

The bike is built extremely tough, it seems like nothing breaks or wears out on these bikes. My previous bikes were basket cases in comparison. They don't require any extra maintenance, in fact they feel like you can just ride the wheels off of them and neglect them like you would an old XR if you were so inclined as to do so.

I've only had two items fail on mine (that weren't caused by myself). The hydraulic clutch slave cylinder leaked after the first season, and the CDI/coil failed.

Buy it, ride it, love it. These engines are very tight when they're new, mine took about ten to fifteen hours before it really felt like a powerhouse holeshot grabbing monster.

I'll bet $20 that after you get used to the 450MX, you'll be trading that YZ250F in as fast as possible for a matching TM! ?

cam

I have a 2002 400e and love it also.But i am having clutch problems also. As i ride i loose mine as in it wont stop its self . what did yours do? Any suggestions?

Thanks Endomatic

What happened with mine was that my clutch felt like it needed to be bled. I'd bleed it and the lever would develop slack after a couple rides. Kept getting worse and worse until I couldn't ride ten minutes until my clutch lever had no resistance and was useless.

I think it was the o-ring on the slave cylinder (not the two on the piston). I left mine for too long and probably got dirt in there, as the bore was scratched up pretty good. I replaced the whole slave cylinder assembly to avoid further issues. I can't remember what the price was but it was less than I thought it would be.