pokey82

Another KYB swap thread...sorry

I have been looking into how to put KYB forks on my 300. I have searched here and on Facebook for info on how to do it. One thing I was thinking about that I have not seen mentioned is whether the Yamaha triple clamp could be installed on the Beta frame.

Can this be done? If yes, what’s required?

Thanks

Why ? 

Using the whole front end of a Yamaha would eliminate a lot of machining; outer tube, spacers, caliper bracket.

Just upgrade to a 2020. Save alot of hassle. Plus you get a new bike. Win win.

• Like 4

Using the whole front end of a Yamaha would eliminate a lot of machining; outer tube, spacers, caliper bracket.
Run into offset issues of the clamps and lugs. I guess with a bit of research I preferred to keep it as is easier to do a little machining and buy a caliper hanger and spacers.
  • Like 1

Technical Touch in Belgium will have 2020 KYB lugs for Beta RR Race bikes from April. Back off - I’m first in line! 

It will be fantastic if the easiest path to this well-known up grade becomes: grab a pair of 2012+ KYB (no machining) off a YZ, valve to suit, screw on the Beta lugs, fit the carts & go ride. 

We shall see...

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, KatoKonvert said:

Technical Touch in Belgium will have 2020 KYB lugs for Beta RR Race bikes from April. Back off - I’m first in line! 

It will be fantastic if the easiest path to this well-known up grade becomes: grab a pair of 2012+ KYB (no machining) off a YZ, valve to suit, screw on the Beta lugs, fit the carts & go ride. 

We shall see...

So you've asked when? 😁 Good info. 

Regarding machining, I have the older style forks (from a 2008-9 YZ 125) which I have turned them down to 54 mm (upper triple) and also hard coated. 

Guess what, the wall thickness is still some tenths thicker than the 2020 Beta KYB uppers. Other differences are the compression stack shim post (no mx tech-like 6 small bleed holes so you can't shim for low speed) and the rebound - mid valve shim post which on the mv side is flat (so you can't have the mv setup like a leaf spring). 

Finally the cartridge rod from the older forks are dark brown which indicates a Kashima coating whereas on the new ones it is just a gold color anodising. 

• Like 1

At one point Honda offered an exquisitely constructed (but poorly valved) version of the AOSS fork on the CRF450. The lugs and fork guards were different, but I liked those better than the Yamaha versions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dirtbird said:

Regarding machining, I have the older style forks (from a 2008-9 YZ 125) which I have turned them down to 54 mm (upper triple) and also hard coated. 

Guess what, the wall thickness is still some tenths thicker than the 2020 Beta KYB uppers. Other differences are the compression stack shim post (no mx tech-like 6 small bleed holes so you can't shim for low speed) and the rebound - mid valve shim post which on the mv side is flat (so you can't have the mv setup like a leaf spring). 

Finally the cartridge rod from the older forks are dark brown which indicates a Kashima coating whereas on the new ones it is just a gold color anodising. 

Technical Touch sell every part you’ve just mentioned. You can effectively build a custom KYB fork a lot cheaper than the cost of a pair of Ohlins..

3 hours ago, dirtbird said:

I thought the rods were Titanium nitride coated and the upper section were the comp stack runs Kashima. Do you want to run a leaf spring set up :) Yes also love the idea of the lugs very happy to hear that. Off to the Dyno this week expect and email with the findings :) 

MM 

1 hour ago, KatoKonvert said:

Technical Touch sell every part you’ve just mentioned. You can effectively build a custom KYB fork a lot cheaper than the cost of a pair of Ohlins..

Yes I know , I have already ordered those parts for my old sss. 

I am the last person that would prefer Ohlins over anything, however keep in mind that DalSoggio's parts pricing is about 20% lower than KYB's.... 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MartyMOOSE said:

I thought the rods were Titanium nitride coated and the upper section were the comp stack runs Kashima. Do you want to run a leaf spring set up :) Yes also love the idea of the lugs very happy to hear that. Off to the Dyno this week expect and email with the findings :)

MM 

Its only an empirical observation since I can't confirm scientifically but on the old sss the rod and compression tube anodising has the same color. And I am not sure that I want to run a leaf spring but I have to so I am getting around it... 😁 

When you're at the dyno please check the speeds that they're gonna test. If they test at low speeds as well, please ask 'silly' questions on my account. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, dirtbird said:

When you're at the dyno please check the speeds that they're gonna test. If they test at low speeds as well, please ask 'silly' questions on my account. 

I have plenty of them :) not I'm not familiar with shock Dyno's the mate I'm taking it to is a gun. I have feeling I will be the slave under his tuition . 

MM 

• Like 1

A properly broken-in 10 fairly hard hours on my latest (06 YZ250F) KYB’s with the Beta Race lugs.

Simply fantastic - they really make the stock fork look ordinary. I rode my mate’s stock bike a few weeks ago back to back with mine & I think it’s the ability of the Kayaba’s to soak up multiple hard hits without losing damping that is the main difference. 

Heading rapidly to 50hrs on my 2020 RR300 & I friggin’ love it. Easily the best dirt bike I’ve ever had. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 8:27 PM, dirtbird said:

Guess what, the wall thickness is still some tenths thicker than the 2020 Beta KYB uppers. 

It would be interesting to know if the Beta uppers are thinner to match the flex of the steel enduro frame or if KYB has thinned them down over the years. 

10 hours ago, kxlubber said:

It would be interesting to know if the Beta uppers are thinner to match the flex of the steel enduro frame or if KYB has thinned them down over the years. 

Think out loud here (I know, dangerous) why would you want more flexible forks for a more flexible frame? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mtdirtbag said:

Think out loud here (I know, dangerous) why would you want more flexible forks for a more flexible frame? 

A comment MOG made in the Suspension section about the KYBs not being a good match for the Huskies.   And suggesting a cartridge swap.