Jump to content
herrmann450r

My take on the KYB RE forks

Recommended Posts

Stock fill is 325cc in the outer. I dropped mine to 315 as well and am happy with the results. I'd also try and use shorter springs to get rid of some of the spring preload. I'm currently using racetechs that are 450mm giving me 4mm of preload. As far as spring rate I'm currently at a 240lbs rider weight and am using .48kg springs. By softening up the midvalve and stiffening up the base I'm frequently using all the travel but the forks are staying up in the stroke where it needs to be. 

I'm really happy with my current setup and am able to adjust between sandy whoops to nasty rocks with just a clicker adjustment. If anyone is interested for the valving adjustments let me know.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A huge thanks to @NjBetaRider for kindly sharing his valving set up on the 2020 RE kyb’s ! 
I had mine done the same and had the preload reduced also, stock was 16mm and mine are not set to 11mm.

Stock springs in the forks as they came and stock rear shock spring running 35mm static and 105 rider sag.

With out question the best front end I’ve had in a bike by a long shot, these forks now have that magic factory feel, they are so plush all the way thro the stroke but hold up nice and high still on a mix of hard pack and woods with some loose pebbles and some decent sized whoops (not Mx size but natural enduro style) 

Just to compare I’ve had the latest WP air and X-plore and also Yamaha kyb along with the brilliant original XC closed cartridge forks on the 2011-2013 model XC bikes and also the Sachs CC forks. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Burger72 said:

A huge thanks to @NjBetaRider for kindly sharing his valving set up on the 2020 RE kyb’s ! 
I had mine done the same and had the preload reduced also, stock was 16mm and mine are not set to 11mm.

Stock springs in the forks as they came and stock rear shock spring running 35mm static and 105 rider sag.

With out question the best front end I’ve had in a bike by a long shot, these forks now have that magic factory feel, they are so plush all the way thro the stroke but hold up nice and high still on a mix of hard pack and woods with some loose pebbles and some decent sized whoops (not Mx size but natural enduro style) 

Just to compare I’ve had the latest WP air and X-plore and also Yamaha kyb along with the brilliant original XC closed cartridge forks on the 2011-2013 model XC bikes and also the Sachs CC forks. 

Hey Burger I'm glad I could help! But the credit goes to GP, dirtbird, kxlubber, and mog. Plus many people who got me there indirectly like numroe. Wait to you start playing with the clickers and oil type. I feel you can really dial these in from here.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NjBetaRider said:

Hey Burger I'm glad I could help! But the credit goes to GP, dirtbird, kxlubber, and mog. Plus many people who got me there indirectly like numroe. Wait to you start playing with the clickers and oil type. I feel you can really dial these in from here.

Well ya good man for reaching out in my eyes so thanks again !

I went with 13 on the rebound and 16 on compression and I really don’t want to touch them now ! I’ll get you the info on how he reduced the preload and mail you mate, 315 per leg 5wt Again I’ll ask what oil he used, he’s a Yam and Ohlins tech so it would have been good gear. 
Also I ran the forks tubes flush with the top of the top clamp as per Brad Freeman’s set up for a neutral feel, I did get a slight bit of front end wash / understeer if you could call it that but only on the super loose shale / stoney turns so I might just slide them thro the clamps 5mm to tighten that up a touch but tbf that’s set of the bike the from action is just crazy good 😎 

Edited by Burger72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really interested to see what beta does with the valving for 21 after they have had some feed back. They are pretty close but it just takes real world input to get these things worked out.

I'd imagine your guy used something better than the maxxima I was using but it's hard to beat when you're dumping it numerous times. Anyway if you dont have any sticktion at the top of the stroke I'd love to know what he used. From you're description of the guy I'd say silkolene or the higher grade kyb oil. Both of which seem to be hard to source for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Burger72 said:

A huge thanks to @NjBetaRider for kindly sharing his valving set up on the 2020 RE kyb’s ! 
I had mine done the same and had the preload reduced also, stock was 16mm and mine are not set to 11mm.

Stock springs in the forks as they came and stock rear shock spring running 35mm static and 105 rider sag.

With out question the best front end I’ve had in a bike by a long shot, these forks now have that magic factory feel, they are so plush all the way thro the stroke but hold up nice and high still on a mix of hard pack and woods with some loose pebbles and some decent sized whoops (not Mx size but natural enduro style) 

Just to compare I’ve had the latest WP air and X-plore and also Yamaha kyb along with the brilliant original XC closed cartridge forks on the 2011-2013 model XC bikes and also the Sachs CC forks. 

Congrats! I have paid $$$$ seeking what you describe in your third paragraph. Having a setup that works like that gives total confidence and really makes riding/racing fun. Like it should be. 👍👍

Edited by Piney Woods
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Piney Woods said:

Congrats! I have paid $$$$ seeking what you describe in your third paragraph. Having a setup that works like that gives total confidence and really makes riding/racing fun. Like it should be. 👍👍

I'm glad he likes it. I was afraid he was going to come here and say what the hell did you have me do to my suspension! Lol suspension is very subjective and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...