Brian Moreau

I broke C1, C7, and T1 and had a disc bulge between C5 and C6 from a dirt bike accident. (reference: Stay Safe and Keep Those Eyes Up! - read my followup post) I rode out on the back of my buddy's bike on rough singletrack, then rode in the back of a police department SUV for two miles down a really rough dirt road, and then finally on to a stretcher and into an ambulance. No one had a clue how injured I was at the time yet, even with all that, I have physically healed 100% with no paralysis or numbness. It's not the injury itself but the severity of the injury that matters. So, I'm not going to hate on the medical crew for doing what they thought was right at the time.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 3

16 minutes ago, SS109 said:

I broke C1, C7, and T1 and had a disc bulge between C5 and C6 from a dirt bike accident. (reference: Stay Safe and Keep Those Eyes Up! - read my followup post) I rode out on the back of my buddy's bike on rough singletrack, then rode in the back of a police department SUV for two miles down a really rough dirt road, and then finally on to a stretcher and into an ambulance. No one had a clue how injured I was at the time yet, even with all that, I have physically healed 100% with no paralysis or numbness. It's not the injury itself but the severity of the injury that matters. So, I'm not going to hate on the medical crew for doing what they thought was right at the time.

There’s a bunch of scenarios that could have been going on. One thing to consider for a track medical crew is if another rider is going to land or hit the rider down. It may have been best to get the rider out of there before getting hit. No judgement. It’s a super dangerous sport. 
By the way glad you are fully recovered too. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

There’s a bunch of scenarios that could have been going on. One thing to consider for a track medical crew is if another rider is going to land or hit the rider down. It may have been best to get the rider out of there before getting hit. No judgement. It’s a super dangerous sport. 
By the way glad you are fully recovered too. 

The race director should have seen that crash almost immediately and been waiting for a radio call to red flag.

If he had any doubts the red comes out

The muscle head hauling Brian, and his assistant, should have made that red call.

The two first aiders are derelict and possibly negligent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Momus said:

The race director should have seen that crash almost immediately and been waiting for a radio call to red flag.

If he had any doubts the red comes out

The muscle head hauling Brian, and his assistant, should have made that red call.

The two first aiders are derelict and possibly negligent. 

Maybe he didn’t see?  Idk ...Were you there???.. just saying all info should be in before busting out the pitchforks and torches .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Maybe he didn’t see?  Idk ...Were you there???.. just saying all info should be in before busting out the pitchforks and torches .

This statement is bothersome. If these so called professionals are there to protect and help the riders in a sport known to dangerously hurt the participants then they should be aware of what the hell is going on and the medical staff should act like they know what the hell they are doing!! If this would have been a car accident anywhere in this country and the first responders would have done such a bonehead move with someone injured like this they would not be licensed first responders afterwards. 

• Like 1

The big crash in NASCAR and officials are all over it! Then you have malpractice like this.   How much respect do these pro motocrossers actually get?  This whole situation will be wrongly justified and forgotten with nothing learned.   I hope this boy recovers cuz He has his whole life in front of him. Motocross is just a small part of it. 

• Like 2

[UPDATE: WEDNESDAY, FEB. 19]

Brian Moreau's father has written a letter. You can read the original letter in French on the LeBigUSA.com site.

Thanks to Stefan LeGrand of the LeBig site, here is the update translated into English.  

“I would like to thank you all for caring for Brian. First of all I’d like to say that Mathilde Musquin has been amazing through those very tough times. She’s managing the situation with great care. She is a guardian angel for Brian. Marvin is very worried about Brian as well. He went to see him and supported him too. In addition, Troy Lee Designs, KTM and RedBull have also been very supportive. Tyler Keefe, team manager, is with Brian all the time. Brian’s mom arrived Monday night in Tampa with his younger sister. He is surrounded by loved ones. Regarding the hospital he is in, staff personnel have been very attentive since Saturday. Before even getting to the hospital, the doctors were waiting for him, knowing exactly the extent of his injury. It was a priority for them. They even cleared the CT scan room in order to be able to go into surgery as fast as possible. Regarding his injury, Brian still doesn’t move his legs but today he gained a little bit of feeling in his back compared to yesterday. It gives us hope. We all are with him and we believe in him. Thank you again for Brian.”

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hawaiidirtrider said:

Why would I have to be there to have an opinion?  I've been racing for 50 years. You stop the session in that situation no ifs or buts. He wasn't in danger of being burnt.

8 hours ago, BBA said:

This statement is bothersome. If these so called professionals are there to protect and help the riders in a sport known to dangerously hurt the participants then they should be aware of what the hell is going on and the medical staff should act like they know what the hell they are doing!! If this would have been a car accident anywhere in this country and the first responders would have done such a bonehead move with someone injured like this they would not be licensed first responders afterwards. 

It’s totally a first responder type question. Ex being a car is on fire in a wreck. Then there isn’t necessarily time to package a patient and best protect the neck as well as you would without another threat.. Car’s on fire. It’s better to get the patient out. But really first of all I wonder if all the information is out on this situation. To me partial hearsay information persecuting track medical crew is   bull shit. Online Monday morning quarterback stuff just has me a bit wary. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 1

Op just want to throw shade.. Its already all over the internet..

I agree with hdr its hard to speculate what happened if u weren't there.. 

Im sure it was a dangerous situation, I wouldnt want them to let me lay in the landing zone..

Edited by Assy man
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Momus said:

Why would I have to be there to have an opinion?  I've been racing for 50 years. You stop the session in that situation no ifs or buts. He wasn't in danger of being burnt.

You don't know. You weren't there. There's no documented proof of anything. It's internet chatter and you don't persecute medical track officials here online when you really don't know anything at all what went down there. You read someone's account online which may or may not be correct. In those situations you don't make decisions on unverified information.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Assy man said:

Op just want to throw shade.. Its already all over the internet..

I agree with hdr its hard to speculate what happened if u weren't there.. 

Im sure it was a dangerous situation, I wouldnt want them to let me lay in the landing zone..

Well pictures don’t lie. I would think someone laying on the ground motionless, because he couldn’t feel his lower half, shouldn’t be moved of fear of doin damage to a person.  Is there protocol?  Did they use the eject system that they make you buy for $50 that lifts off the helmet with air while he was on the ground?  Did they move him to a stretcher holding his head and neck. Are you gonna justify the pics?   If this was my son and protocol wasn’t followed I’d be furious and would hold someone accountable.   Diehard racers and families will except any wrong doing in this sport. They loose that common sense.  

• Like 1

On 2/17/2020 at 2:53 PM, yz250f 78 said:

This is not right! For once can someone please hold the people that run this sport accountable! This is why my son and I don't persue our supercross license. The dangers and the actual treatment of these young racers.  It's hard enough dealing with these people at the six outdoor rounds we race.  

I would suggest you quit racing (and motorcycling altogether) if you are not willing to take responsibility for yourself and your own actions...

• Like 4