What tools are you guys using on bikes?

So my question for you guys. I recently started working on 4-strokes but this applies to every bike out there. Many of the bolts, especially in or around the engine have to be toqued down to the 5-10ft lb range. Now ive checked everything from harbor freight to home depot and even some places online but 99% of the torque wrenches I came across start at 20-30ft lbs or above.  Husky brand tools has one that starts at 7ftlbs and is relatively inexpensive at around $100 but im told its inaccurate and not the greatest quality. What other brands of tools go that far down in measurements?

Also, its said that torque wrenches are mostly inaccurate at the first and last 10-15% of its torque range. What are your thoughts on this? How true is this? 

Anyone know of some tools or torque wrenches that work for us riders? Prefer a torque wrench that doesnt cost $300+. And is generally affordable considering it doesnt get used all that often. 

Thanks for the replies and help.

HFT torque wrenches here.  My only gripe with them is the unusual units they're marked in.  Conversion factors on the wrench, and a "cheat sheet" on the wall of the values I use regularly so I don't have to do the conversion every time.
spacer.png

Accuracy isn't as important in engine rebuilds as repeatability is.  Tolerance on engine parts is pretty wide, it's more important to get all the bolts in the pattern torqued close to each other than it is to get them all exactly to spec.  The HFT stuff does just fine here.  Been surprised with the quality of the HFT stuff across my tq calibration equipment at work.  Take care of the stuff and don't abuse it, it'll work fine.  An expensive camera doesn't magically make you a better photographer, mechanic tools are the same way. 

These cheap HFT wrenches have rebuilt many sleds/motos over the years.
spacer.png

• Like 1

To torque wrenches get very good stuff which has a reputation and get two, one for low ranges up to 50Nm and a second for higher ranges from 40Nm on.

Professional torque wrenches come with a quality check and the manufacturer tells you when you have to recalibrate the wrench, the accuracy should be around 3 - 4%.

I'am using Hazet and Gedore for tools, not cheap but superior lifetime quality.

11 minutes ago, P-Schrauber said:

To torque wrenches get very good stuff which has a reputation and get two, one for low ranges up to 50Nm and a second for higher ranges from 40Nm on.

Professional torque wrenches come with a quality check and the manufacturer tells you when you have to recalibrate the wrench, the accuracy should be around 3 - 4%.

I'am using Hazet and Gedore for tools, not cheap but superior lifetime quality.

3-4% accuracy? How do you sleep at night? As a German, I'd expect +/- .005% tops. ?

Yeah, quality tools are a good investment. I have tools my 73 year old father gave me 30+ years ago and they are still great.

• Like 2

3 - 4% is sufficient, look at the manuals of cheap torque wrenches there they claim a calibratian every 6 month, that is a problem, with high quality tools you will have much longer service times also you get a re calibration for cheap money, not the case if you just paid a couple of bucks, often you have trouble finding one that will do it for you.

If you have a lot of expansion screws and bolts to thigten, you need accurat tools, especially in the smaller diameter range, btw. expansion screws and bolts can only be used once and have to be replaced after use.

I have relied on this “beam style” torque wrench for 40+ years. It only goes to 50lb.ft, but that does the majority of motorcycle stuff.
3/8ths drive. It’s about a foot long.
Made by DURO in Chicago. Looks like DURO went by way of the DoDo bird. They're extinct. 
IMG_3745.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

IMG_3746.jpg

Edited by NORTY
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I think lots of us have had Doros with no bad results. I second using a torque wrench calibrated in inch lbs. For anything in the under 20lb range. FYI for those of us living in cold country, I have found using a cold wrench, on a cold piece of equipment is a crap shoot.

Been wrenching for ever... I have used beam and click types both. I prefer beam type, take good care of it and dont abuse it. Get 3/8 inch drive foot pound and 1/4 inch drive inch pound and you will be set to go. By the way, don't buy a cheap-o Harbor Freight wrench, Craftsman or some other brand name will give you trouble free service. Happy Torquing to you, until we meet again. lol

43 minutes ago, dnowak678 said:

I have one of the Fixt T handle torque wrenches and I use it a lot. Goes from 6-27 nm (can be purchased in foot pounds). Works on almost all the bolts on a bike except the big ones like shock or swingarm bolts.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/parts/fixt-products-pro-torque-t-handle-p

Damn it man that looks nice