2016 TE125 any good off-road?

i’m looking at buying a 2016 te 125 with 67 hours and supposedly mechanical sound. however i’ve just been doing some reading and people say that it’s not very good for hill climbs and it’s got no low end. On my old bike i would mostly do woods, beach, hill climbs and hard dirt/rocks trail rides. also some technical stuff like tiger woods trails and log hopping. what are you guys opinions on this bike for me, other bikes that i could buy for a good price are exc350f and wr250f however i kind of feel like they’ll be to heavy.

i would say my skill level is probably just about intermediate lol.

• NoFiddyPilot changed the title to 2016 TE125 any good off-road?

There is a guy at some trails I rode with that he was a a tc125 and he was in the 240lb range and most of us couldnt keep up. There were several factors to that though, one these were more flowing trails(not alot of big hill climbs), he REALLY knows how to stay on the pipe, and lastly he knows the trails extremely well(my group rides occasionally there when our normal trails are unrideable due to rain). 

If I recall correctly they updated the 2016 engine the same as ktm150 so that means it is the latest design. I mention that bc then it allows you the option to do a 150 kit which is a great engine, you just wont have the wider ratio trans and estart like on the TE150(what I have). The little bikes will always have to work really hard in technical riding as it take alot precise clutch work to get the front end up but it should be doable. In the hill climbs and sand you will have to work the engine really hard but it is doable. One more issue is the suspension will be valved a bit stiff for that riding as it is a MX bike.

What was your old bike and your size? That will be your reference of if the little 125 will work for you. I have more emphasis on bike weight as I am small(130lbs) so power isnt really an issue but fighting a heavy bike isnt a good thing for me(I had a Husaberg fe450 for a while and it was miserable) but this TE150 is incredibly light and it still has enough to climb some pretty steep grades while lugging it in 3rd. Its best to keep it on the pipe but when you lose momentum it can be lugged a but and it just finds traction and keeps climbing. As far as I know there isnt much different engine wise(maybe CDI) between the mx and enduro 150s other than mentioned before

On 2/22/2020 at 5:15 AM, mr.skywalker said:

There is a guy at some trails I rode with that he was a a tc125 and he was in the 240lb range and most of us couldnt keep up. There were several factors to that though, one these were more flowing trails(not alot of big hill climbs), he REALLY knows how to stay on the pipe, and lastly he knows the trails extremely well(my group rides occasionally there when our normal trails are unrideable due to rain). 

If I recall correctly they updated the 2016 engine the same as ktm150 so that means it is the latest design. I mention that bc then it allows you the option to do a 150 kit which is a great engine, you just wont have the wider ratio trans and estart like on the TE150(what I have). The little bikes will always have to work really hard in technical riding as it take alot precise clutch work to get the front end up but it should be doable. In the hill climbs and sand you will have to work the engine really hard but it is doable. One more issue is the suspension will be valved a bit stiff for that riding as it is a MX bike.

What was your old bike and your size? That will be your reference of if the little 125 will work for you. I have more emphasis on bike weight as I am small(130lbs) so power isnt really an issue but fighting a heavy bike isnt a good thing for me(I had a Husaberg fe450 for a while and it was miserable) but this TE150 is incredibly light and it still has enough to climb some pretty steep grades while lugging it in 3rd. Its best to keep it on the pipe but when you lose momentum it can be lugged a but and it just finds traction and keeps climbing. As far as I know there isnt much different engine wise(maybe CDI) between the mx and enduro 150s other than mentioned before

my old bike was a crf150rb, i think i may actually end up buying a husaberg te250 now as i found one for a good price.

38 minutes ago, Noobyrider123 said:

my old bike was a crf150rb, i think i may actually end up buying a husaberg te250 now as i found one for a good price.

Since that brand has been discontinued, I suggest you research parts availability before purchasing it.

Perhaps many of these bike are for sale at a 'good price' specifically for this reason.

4 minutes ago, mlatour said:

Since that brand has been discontinued, I suggest you research parts availability before purchasing it.

Perhaps many of these bike are for sale at a 'good price' specifically for this reason.

pretty sure the "husaberg" was simply a KTM with composite rear frame and PDS rear. Actual Husaberg production only included four stroke prior to KTM takeover.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mlatour said:

yea that was my only worry, however after searching some sites that i usually use for parts i found rebuild kits and other parts that i’ll prbably need. The bike is basically rebranded husky/ktm so 90% of the parts are the same.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Noobyrider123 said:

yea that was my only worry, however after searching some sites that i usually use for parts i found rebuild kits and other parts that i’ll prbably need. The bike is basically rebranded husky/ktm so 90% of the parts are the same.

Yea parts for the engine on the 2 stroke bergs is the same as the ktm of same displacement for the year model. Just as an example my 2010 FE450 shared most suspension and and engine internals were the same(obviously the cases were VERY different and I think the head was slightly different to allow proper oil return from head)