Water Pump Seal

The forced air trick (blow air through the weep hole)  worked to help loosen it on mine then a small blade screw driver helped to gently pry it out. GL!

Interesting idea!!  Is there any danger of displacing the rear seal when you do this?  Also, what keeps the air pressure in behind the seal??

I would use a small angled pick and get in behind the seal lip and work it out.

What worries me about doing this is the very real chance that I would end up damaging the casing edge where the seal contacts the case...if that happens then I would have a seriously expensive problem.

Thanks for both ideas!

I have tried to "finagle" the thing out several times...its in real tight....been there for 8 years now.

What about the option of drilling two small pilot holes in the seal and inserting two screws about 1/4 inch deep and then using those to pull on the seal to get it out (see pix).

Would there be enough room behind the first seal to screw in about 1/4 inch before the screw would start damaging the inner seal?? Its hard to tell from the parts fiche if the two seals just butt up to each other with just the circlip in between, or if there is a space between the two seals where the screw could safely go without damaging the inner seal.

Anybody tried this?

seal_small_screws.jpg.cb3df2fc7a45fe0a5f2e311cea978909.jpg

Edited by travertt

you could do it that way but have to be super careful... 

I have used a pick for years for these kinds of seals but i'm a seasoned mechanic and know my tools well. but either way be careful on what you do to not damage anything else. 

Victory Declared in the Great Water Pump Wars!!

Well... it was not going to move by prying...not without very likely marring the mating surface on the case....all I was doing was tearing the rubber off the seal.

So I drilled a small hole and snipped the head off a finishing nail and bent it to just over 90 degrees and managed to get it in behind the seal and was able to pop it out.  There is only about one eighth of an inch between the back of the water seal (the one I drilled thru) and the front of the oil seal behind it....so if you do this be VERY careful how deep you drill that hole.

My offer of beers and scotch still stands!!

success_2.jpg.ddf0ec0b9daa7221cca128f70f2fba08.jpg

• Like 1