Hello everyone, I'm looking to purchase my first 450 undecided on whether yamaha or honda still, but what I need to look into is my technique. I ride on tracks with my son and used to ride a CR250R and KX125. Going to a 4 stroke the jumping must be done differently as you can't just let off and ride the jump. Is there a lot to know to do differently with a 4 stroke vs. 2 stroke riding? 

jumping on the 450F should be easier than the 250 2T...or so my friends say...🤷🏻‍♂️

As a general rule, you want to keep your throttle constant on the jump face, 2T or 450F.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

1 hour ago, SlowDinoDog said:

As a general rule, you want to keep your throttle constant on the jump face, 2T or 450F.

Totally agree with that....this past summer I was riding my YZ125, YZ250 and also a YZ450F . I jumped them all similar. there are small nuances mainly due to the fact that, the bigger the engine , the more it affects the chassis (during accel or decel). But  seat bouncing is the same, and jumping in the attack position is done with a constant throttle so very little difference. I will say this, be aware that there's a significantly bigger reaction to panic revving and brake tapping on a 450 (while in the air).

• Like 2

As above, I've taken a 250 smoker and a 450 fourstroke to the track together, and no massive difference in jumping style. It was slightly easier on the fourstroke as it wasn't quite as touchy on the throttle. Again, I use nice even throttle off the jumps.

Edited by DEATH_INC.
  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1