Jump to content

Do you wear a neck brace?

Message added by B Squared

Do you wear a neck brace?  

176 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you wear a neck brace?

    • Yes
      66
    • No
      81
    • Still on the fence if I should
      29


Recommended Posts

I broke 8 bones before that thing was invented.......................

kinda like wearing a cast BEFORE you break your leg..................................... School of Hard Knocks 80'

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Won't ride without my Atlas.  And wtf Bryan, this subject has been beat to death! 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BOAB said:

Won't ride without my Atlas.  And wtf Bryan, this subject has been beat to death! 🤣

Yet you weighed in... 😁 And yes, Atlas braces are the schitzle.... 👍

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Yet you weighed in... 😁 And yes, Atlas braces are the schitzle.... 👍

You will notice I've weighed in on every neck brace thread ever on here. 🤣

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bryan Bosch said:

to what? 🙈

Most recently? A snow shovel... Never stopped snowing for a while... 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Hans Schmid said:

Most recently? A snow shovel... Never stopped snowing for a while... 

I brought mine to Florida. Not sure why none of my neighbors don't ask to borrow it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never had a neck brace before... but I let the fear mongering get to me and bought a Leatt one when it went on sale at Revzilla a couple months ago. I just kept picturing myself in the unlikely situation where I go over the bars and a rock or stump catches my head and throws it in the opposite direction my body is travelling... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would have been a really interesting survey if it included a question about what type of riding the person does too.  MX, wood, desert, endurocross.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a hard subject, as there really is no way of knowing if it saved your neck, or would have saved your neck, in a real wreck. I did however perform a perfect Olympic dive into a pile of dirt a few years ago, back when leatt first came out with the braces, and snapped my collar bone into 3 pieces, Now that I think of it, the chunk that broke was directly under where the brace sits... but that was the only injury, my neck and back were fine. but there is no way to know if the leatt saved my neck, or broke my collar bone or what would have happened without it. I’m still on the fence about them, when I race I usually wear the brace. Not really when I’m just riding. Another way to look at it is this, if it doesn’t bother you when riding, mine does after a long desert race, then why not wear one? I can’t imagine how it could do more harm than good(although I believe some say it can/will). 

1C2080FC-637A-4DBA-A8E4-FF4C5249F55D.jpeg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As someone who just got back in to dirt bikes with major back and neck issues, i initially could not afford one or a good chest protector with all the new gear i had to buy. 4 rides later i had a 10mph off using a Leatt 3DF shirt thing which bruised four ribs and cracked one other and NO kneck brace. Almost 3 weeks later i could not move my neck. I now wear a Leatt 5.5 Pro CP a Leatt GPX 5.5 neck brace, Mobius X8 Knee braces, basically full tilt protection from head to toe. My first ride with the neck brace was weird but i forget it is on now. NEVER gets in the way and ALWAYS gives me confidence to relax and enjoy the ride and learn something new every time i go out. Suck spending an hour getting ready but i never feel unprotected. I would rather break my collar bone than my neck or back and break my leg than tear a knee or ligament. Been there and done that.

I say forget what others think and wear what make you ride more.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, mwmx54 said:

This is a hard subject, as there really is no way of knowing if it saved your neck, or would have saved your neck, in a real wreck. I did however perform a perfect Olympic dive into a pile of dirt a few years ago, back when leatt first came out with the braces, and snapped my collar bone into 3 pieces, Now that I think of it, the chunk that broke was directly under where the brace sits... but that was the only injury, my neck and back were fine. but there is no way to know if the leatt saved my neck, or broke my collar bone or what would have happened without it. I’m still on the fence about them, when I race I usually wear the brace. Not really when I’m just riding. Another way to look at it is this, if it doesn’t bother you when riding, mine does after a long desert race, then why not wear one? I can’t imagine how it could do more harm than good(although I believe some say it can/will). 

1C2080FC-637A-4DBA-A8E4-FF4C5249F55D.jpeg

If fitted properly, the modern neck braces don't contact the clavicles.

But, it is really, really easy to break a clavicle, most common dirt bike and mtn bike injury.

Edited by BOAB
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, BOAB said:

If fitted properly, the modern neck braces don't contact the clavicles.

But, it is really, really easy to break a clavicle, most common dirt bike and mtn bike injury.

Yup. Seen it happen on not so hard falls onto the shoulder. I've been lucky, knock on wood! I can't prove it, but I think that a neck brace being the primary cause of collar bone fractures is pretty small. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

Yup. Seen it happen on not so hard falls onto the shoulder. I've been lucky, knock on wood! I can't prove it, but I think that a neck brace being the primary cause of collar bone fractures is pretty small. 

AFAIK the EVS is the only one that still rests on the clavicles, and it is a lot cheaper than the others.  Speaking of EVS, I started with an EVS neck roll back before the neck brace days.  Now those were a bit restrictive.. ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wore the same neck "donut" for a while. Compared to my Atlas neck brace, not even in the same universe in terms of comfort and range of motion.  Neck donuts are hot too! Glad that we have so many options regardless. Still a dangerous sport, but I don't think we've ever been safer in terms of gear. Back in the day my safety gear was steel toed work boots, padded JT gloves and a glitter open faced helmet from Kmart that was painted black and a duct bill visor snapped on. 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently purchased and wear a Leatt 3.5 GPX neck brace all the time.  And it's fitted to my Leatt 5.5 Pro HD chest guard.  Just like my helmet, I won't ride without it.  

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...