Went on a run to see if it would work. Found Calshot Castle! Its got a pebble beach! I've never driven on pebbles before. Police car there. Cant risk getting caught. I'm going to come back another day though…

IMG_20181217_130858.jpg

Went on a run to see if it would work. Found Calshot Castle! Its got a pebble beach! I've never driven on pebbles before. Police car there. Cant risk getting caught. I'm going to come back another day though…

Still practicing my slow manoeuvres in the car park with my kid. It is a bit more difficult when it’s a bit damp in the car park.

IMG_20181219_141521.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Days out in the Purbecks with the kids. One in his car, the other on the little Yam.

“Daaaaad…Can I have a bike too?”

NO…PIGGING NO!

I cant do it. I cant justify stopping him.

Ok. Do your CBT, find some money and go buy one. Hopefully….

Pigging Fate. He's just passed his CBT too.

Edited by No Idea
Messed up photo selection.

So I was trundling along a dirt track about 20 miles from home…Changed gear. Clunk. Clutch lever hits the bar and stays there.

OhSHITOHSHITOHSHIT…20 miles, no clutch cant stop as it’s a kickstart…And its rush hour and I live in a town. I can change up and down with no clutch, but not stopping through the traffic? Still, I suppose not being able to reach the ground wont be a problem. No Idea how, but I nearly made it. Car pulled out directly in front of me and stopped. Ground was flat, couldn’t start it and roll it to get it to click in. Couldn’t start it in gear with the kick start. I need rescuing under a mile from home.

Balls.

IMG_20190213_165941.jpg

“Daaad….Daaaad! I passed my CBT ! I think I've found a bike I can get!”

I still want to have that conversation with Fate.

Honda XLR 125 duly arrives.

So…Following both the kids back on their bikes. Kid on Honda nearly heaps it into a car on a corner.

More OHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT!

Lets get him back to the carpark and teach him some stuff this time BEFORE he needs it.

IMG_20190207_112324.jpg

Edited by No Idea
Messed up order.

Dad, you're doing it right.  Really enjoyed your story and pictures.  My daughter starting riding with me on my DR650 when she was 3 years old.  Rather than sit her behind me and hope she could hold on, I attached two small C clamps to the frame for foot pegs for her where the frame drops down in front of the seat.  She could then sit in front of me and reach the crossbar on the handlebars. 

• Like 1

Another cars n bikes guy!    I'm curious, do you have access to much in the way of offroad riding, over there?   I'm in western Colorado, right near the Utah state line so I have all kinds of high desert/mountain land available, not to mention plenty of windy 2 lane pavement for my other vice.    Congrats on the big aircooled beast.  :)     Let's see if I can attach a couple pics of my iron...  Met a group of Brits last summer out here, touring their big BMWs.   Great guys, even gave me a fuzzy cap because it was cold that day.  

drz400.jpg

canyon overlook.jpg

Edited by gladeparkflyer
  • Helpful 1

Just now, No Idea said:

Niiice!

I made that   :)    1920 model T roadster pickup, smallblock chevy/4 speed drivetrain.   Quick is an understatement...

red canyon.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Great story ,   never had any problems like that .  Started riding at 8 ,    daughter at 6 , grandson at 5 , other grandson at 4 .   Helps starting out young .   Also helps to be tall , I'm  5'5"  150 lb.    Ride everything .  Just have to know how to mount and dismount .  I do the horse mount ,  1 footpeg dismount ...   just takes practice .......  BTW  I'm  67  going on 15.........

Great story ,   never had any problems like that .  Started riding at 8 ,    daughter at 6 , grandson at 5 , other grandson at 4 .   Helps starting out young .   Also helps to be tall , I'm  5'5"  150 lb.    Ride everything .  Just have to know how to mount and dismount .  I do the horse mount ,  1 footpeg dismount ...   just takes practice .......  BTW  I'm  67  going on 15.........

• Helpful 1

On the way back from sisters…

Overtaking a lorry, on the power, clutch slips and engine spins up.

Frightening as there was a car coming. Enough gap if the bike works properly. Else…Brown trouser day.

Got the kids to fit new clutch plates, casing gasket, oil and filter.

I wanted to have a goood look at the clutch and see if I could get some Idea why it keeps failing.

Something of an Idea started in my head, but not coherent enough to act on.

Fitted stronger springs too. 

IMG_20190214_114421.jpg

Bought some more bones for the rear suspension from Ebay.

Worked out how much to shorten them by stropping the back of the bike down and trying it until it was low enough for me, then measured the amount the bones moved.

Shortened them and got them welded. The kids fitted them.

I can now reach the ground!

IMG_20190215_141302.jpg

Took it out and tested it. Nope the tyre is now fouling the guard. Need to get them off.

The clutch is still slipping.

Rode with the kids exploring the Purbeck hills.

IMG_20190223_133102.jpg

I've oil pouring out of the rocker box seal. I'm also struggling to match the kids at 55mph, as its half way between 4th and 5th. Moved down a size on my front cog to re set the ratios. Replaced the de compressor shaft seals to stop the oil.

IMG_20190311_160052.jpg

IMG_20190311_160236.jpg

IMG_20190311_160254.jpg

“Daaad….Daaaad….I've passed my test!” OMG! Er….Congratulations!

We can now go up the motorway.

So…

Calshot Castle…

IMG_20190321_135440.jpg