Upgrade Drz400 or switch to Wr450?

Whats up guys. I am wondering if I should upgrade my Drz400, or just sell ot and get a Wr450?

Some background: I have a 2000 Drz400 (kickstart ONLY) that I street legaled. The updrades it needs are:
> New clutch pack = ..?(want oem so prob. An arm&leg)
> Clutch cable = 14.00
> Steel braided brake line = 43.00
> Rear caliper rebuild kit = 19.00
> Rear brake pads = 16.00
> Carb rebuild kit = 50.00
> Upgraded headlight = ..? (Any suggestions?)
> Possibly sumo wheels

$145.00 without the clutch pack, headlight, or wheels. I will also need to upgrade or refurb. the rear shock at some point.

I am wondering if it is worth going all out with the Drz, or switching to a wr or yz? I like that my bike has the updraded cams and carb already and the reliability factor. I also like the weight and extra power of the wr/yz. I just don't know how long they will last before rebuild and general maintenance vs the Drz. So, what do y'all think? Thanks

The DRZ is a lower maintenance machine. It is also close to 10 Hp down to a sound WR and the DRZ is heavier. The DRZ engine will run 30,000 miles, the WR, 10,000 miles if you are really, really lucky. The DRZ likes to plonk along, the WR is higher strung.

I have a DRZ SM and a WR250F. Right tools for each job.

• Like 1

I have a stock DRZ400S, a built drz400e (klx actually) and an 04 wr450. Imo the wr is not a big enough upgrade over the drz to upgrade. The wr has a little more power, weighs about 40lbs less, and has better suspension. It doesn’t like road duty as much, needs more maintenance, and doesn’t have nearly the aftermarket. 

If you were going to get a wr with electric start, that might be a worthwhile upgrade to save yourself some kicking, but if you’re looking at a kick only model I wouldn’t go for it. 

You also have to figure a used wr is going to need the same replace/maintenance stuff your drz needs now. 

• Like 1

So, the choice is "spending $145 vs. getting a whole new bike?" 

That's easy. Spend the 145. 

Now, if you needed to spend $4000... the choice would be easy, again. Get the WR!

(Actually, I'd get a Husky, but that's just me.)