bucket list

Bucket list, Fraser Canyon, dualsport ride, Aug. 17-20, 2020

Understand the phone thing but I put a phone mount on my Harley a couple years ago and stopped using my Garmin GPS for street travel and the phone also plays tunes and I can get news if I want thru Bluetooth. My dirt bike helmet doesn't have that capability and the Voyager is about the same price so that makes sense but i do like to play Willie & Johnny and the rest of the gang off road.

Yeah, old fart I am but we have a Goggle Maps App on my phone just wasn't able to get the tracks on that. #1 put it on his Android and sent it to me via email which I opened and it seems to work fine. Hard to tell without being there.

• Like 1

For an excellent phone GPS check out Locus Pro. Dirt cheap ($5 one time fee) and way more powerful than any stand alone GPS. There are others, but Locus is probably the best. OsmAnd+ is very good, too. 

10 hours ago, roleyrev said:

I have been considering the voyager pro.  What other things about. Voyager?  I like that it is not a phone.  I don’t like phones on my handle bars. 

And it's not the stock dash, which is only good for draining the battery. I like having a tach, altitude, temp, accurate speed and when i just want to follow a track, i love the efficient simplicity of the Voyager. I've looked hard at the Voyager Pro, but if i'm going to have a GPS with topo maps on it, it would have to be a larger screen, I like the Megellan TRX7 , nice big screen for these poor 61 year old eyes. Just have to find $800. canadian for it.

IMO using phones as GPS is a whole other topic but my setups work perfectly for where and how I ride.

There is a topic about using Smart phones as a GPS which I've posted in may times and I'd be more than happy to try and answer any questions for what/why I use what I use in this topic if anyone wants but start at the last post of it and work back.

• Like 1

This still going ahead in the new world of Wutang Death? No racing in Alberta this year outside of some possible exhibition events in the fall so I’ll have lots of opportunities to smash my KLR650 into scrap to be prepared. 😆

Big question is when will they open up the border and let us colonists in? I'm running low on maple syrup too.

• Haha 1

On 5/13/2020 at 6:22 PM, Grimlock said:

This still going ahead in the new world of Wutang Death? No racing in Alberta this year outside of some possible exhibition events in the fall so I’ll have lots of opportunities to smash my KLR650 into scrap to be prepared. 😆

Just an update, yes this ride is still ON.

The USA/Canada border closure has been extended till the end of June, but I'm confident non essential travel will be allowed come July. And I've checked with the couple of motels and they are operating.

I'm continuing to refine the route, visiting a couple of the sckechy sections to make sure they are passable.

Again, I will be booking the motels at the end of June, so let me know by then if your in for sure. Also PM me you e-mail so I can forward you the GPX file of the whole route. I'm hoping everyone will have either a GPS device or a mapping app on your phone that can show the route on a map.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2020 at 6:20 PM, bucket list said:

Day routes, which town do you live in?

The first day Boston Bar to Clinton will be relatively easy dirt roads, a good warm up, day two will have some tougher sections.

Are you a newish dirt rider?

Thanks for all the time on this, Randy. Much appreciated. 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2020 at 6:56 PM, lowrider1 said:

Big question is when will they open up the border and let us colonists in? I'm running low on maple syrup too.

We should know by the end of June if borders open, i'm confident. I'll keep updating this thread at the end of each month now, so those interested can stay informed.

We can only hope things will open up soon. My wife has taken the position that BC will be there next year and wants to go back to Utah. We're off next week if the weather cooperates for an ATV trip in ID and probably some fly fishing too.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2020 at 2:45 PM, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

Thanks for all the time on this, Randy. Much appreciated. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GNCeqw2RVcouS4zL_FTUSz79ApE1cSFW/view?usp=drivesdk

This is a link to my Goggle account, the GPX file of Day one, of my Fraser Canyon ride. Could you see if you can open it in a nav/mapping app on your phone, or in a gps you may have?

Can you see the waypoints for the hard and easy options on the track?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bucket list said:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GNCeqw2RVcouS4zL_FTUSz79ApE1cSFW/view?usp=drivesdk

This is a link to my Goggle account, the GPX file of Day one, of my Fraser Canyon ride. Could you see if you can open it in a nav/mapping app on your phone, or in a gps you may have?

Glad you sorted out google sharing of the GPX's

I downloaded and opened the GPX in Rider Leader on my laptop and would be what I get on my phone or GPS and I get the 2 way points for the either the easy or hard sections and the KM's or miles for each of the 5 tracks which you would need to add up to get the overall distance for that one day ride.
Clipboard01.jpg.1ebe2e0179f265dcff9753219c08e7cd.jpg

Hope this helps.

Just found out the Loose Screw event that was going to happen the weekend before this got cancelled so if I can figure out how much gas I need for each day and how to carry what ever I need at the hotels at the end of each day it looks like I'm in.

IF I can sort out above, I'm more than happy help with logistics and tail gun on each day if needed.

6 hours ago, filterx said:

Just found out the Loose Screw event that was going to happen the weekend before this got cancelled so if I can figure out how much gas I need for each day and how to carry what ever I need at the hotels at the end of each day it looks like I'm in.

IF I can sort out above, I'm more than happy help with logistics and tail gun on each day if needed.

That's a few "if's".

You'll need about 300kms of range. There is the possibility of gas at Dog creek, about 2/3's of the way around day 2, but i wouldn't count on it.

I'll be booking rooms on July 1, so all those "if's" should be eliminated by then.

Thanks for the offer, keep me informed.👍

15 hours ago, bucket list said:

That's a few "if's".

You'll need about 300kms of range. There is the possibility of gas at Dog creek, about 2/3's of the way around day 2, but i wouldn't count on it.

I'll be booking rooms on July 1, so all those "if's" should be eliminated by then.

Thanks for the offer, keep me informed.👍

At least I'm almost sure I can find someone to feed me cat for those days 🙂

I'll give you a call sometime this weekend to clarify this cus if we each need to have enough gas for 300KM and that's the whole trip, it would mean I would need to carry about 14L of gas and I don't think I want to have to deal with that but we can discuss over the phone.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:53 PM, bucket list said:

Nope, i have no way to even view that, let alone use it. I use Avenza on my android for everything. There may be some lengthy conversion process but im not a tech person at all. I tried to import it but no go. 

Screenshot_20200606-120621_Avenza Maps.jpg

Edited by Doctor Shakalu Rotazion

1 hour ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

Nope, i have no way to even view that, let alone use it. I use Avenza on my android for everything. There may be some lengthy conversion process but im not a tech person at all. I tried to import it but no go. 

It may be that you just don't have an app that will read a GPX file. The one i used for over a year before i purchased the PRO version is "GPX viewer". Even the free version will open and show a gpx file.

If you PM me your e-mail , i will send you a gpx file to see if you can open. If that doesn't work, try the gpx viewer app.

2 hours ago, Doctor Shakalu Rotazion said:

Hey Josh,

Avenza only uses PDF maps and not GPX, KMZ etc.

I believe I gave you Oruxmaps and the BC Garmin TOPO when you where here and if you still have that on your phone, you can import the GPX bit you really need to be in BC for the Garmin TOPO to work properly,

Otherwise you need a GPS app that can import/use GPX files