Why is gasgas another ktm?

Why is ktm offering the same bike in 3 colors? It doesn't make sense,  I mean why have the same platform? Gasgas and Ktm even share plastics.  I could understand if they wanted to run in a completely different direction and keep their successful brands the same but this looks like the same bike in red.

Screenshot_20200301-120501_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Haha 1

you realise that this was just done for the most part right? They will eventually differentiate like Husqvarna did, will take time though. 21 will see some changes and then onwards... it is bizarre to have 3 versions of one bike, but technically it is a choice. The "GasGas" looks the best out the 3.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DEMI said:

you realise that this was just done for the most part right? They will eventually differentiate like Husqvarna did, will take time though. 21 will see some changes and then onwards... it is bizarre to have 3 versions of one bike, but technically it is a choice. The "GasGas" looks the best out the 3.

Really how are the Huskies much different other than the subframe and plastic?  The motors and suspension are pretty much the same and now available in red???  I've read KTM was really after the Trials bikes and I don't think there are enough GasGas loyalist to worry about keeping up the brand for anything other than trials.  Actually IMO whatever GasGas loyalist are out there will be turned off because it is no longer different than KTM.  

10 minutes ago, Hurricane said:

Really how are the Huskies much different other than the subframe and plastic?  The motors and suspension are pretty much the same and now available in red???  I've read KTM was really after the Trials bikes and I don't think there are enough GasGas loyalist to worry about keeping up the brand for anything other than trials.  Actually IMO whatever GasGas loyalist are out there will be turned off because it is no longer different than KTM.  

yep...a gasgas will no longer be a gasgas and a Husky is no longer a Husqvarna.

I think KTM broadened their offerings with the Husky TE line with linkages. That's the main difference.

Otherwise, Huskys are just branding and styling and increased sales volume of high margin bikes for KTM.

Edited by SlowDinoDog
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

yep...a gasgas will no longer be a gasgas and a Husky is no longer a Husqvarna.

I think KTM broadened their offerings with the Husky TE line with linkages. That's the main difference.

Otherwise, Huskys are just branding and styling and increased sales volume of high margin bikes for KTM.

Agreed Husky was a popular name that dates back decades and I believe they sell a bunch of them just because of the name even though it's essentially a white ktm with some minor changes.  Gas Gas on the other hand was bought by people that didn't want the same thing as everyone else.  I mean think about if you were shopping for a Husky 450FC and found a KTM 450SXF for a $1000 less would you still buy the Husky?

20 minutes ago, Hurricane said:

not much different, but not quite the same, as I said 3 versions of the same bike. Looks great, but still a KTM, just like my Husqvarna at it's core. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hurricane said:

Agreed Husky was a popular name that dates back decades and I believe they sell a bunch of them just because of the name even though it's essentially a white ktm with some minor changes.  Gas Gas on the other hand was bought by people that didn't want the same thing as everyone else.  I mean think about if you were shopping for a Husky 450FC and found a KTM 450SXF for a $1000 less would you still buy the Husky?

for sure...there's less differentation to their MX line than their off-road bikes. For a $1,000 difference on the MX bike I would go for the cheaper bike. But, KTM got to charge me a few extra hundred dollars to sell me a TE with a shock linkage. I would not have taken the KTM for $1,000 less in that case.

Its a shame...sounds like GasGas had a nice thing going, but...it doesn't always make money. KTM's increased volume sales of engines used across different platforms makes a lot of financial sense.

If they wanted to spread their portfolio into trials bikes...that makes sense, too. It will be interesting to see how they differentiate the GasGas off-road bikes.

Edited by SlowDinoDog

2 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

for sure...there's less differentation to their MX line than their off-road bikes. For a $1,000 difference on the MX bike I would go for the cheaper bike. But, KTM got to charge me a few extra hundred dollars to sell me a TE with a shock linkage. I would not have taken the KTM for $1,000 less in that case.

Its a shame...sounds like GasGas had a nice thing going, but...it doesn't always make money. KTM's increased volume sales of engines used across different platforms makes a lot of financial sense.

If they wanted to spread their portfolio into trials bikes...that makes sense, too. It will be interesting to see how they differentiate the GasGas off-road bikes.

As for the TE for XCW i can see people having a preference for the linkage, I'm actually one of the few that prefer the PDS.  For everything else they are pretty close.  It is a shame as now there is one less brand in the offroad  world to choose from.  Seems like it's Beta, Sherco, or KTM (orange, white, or red) now so maybe the Japanese will get their offroad models more competitive.  It's starting to happen slowly with Yamaha and Honda but Kawasaki and Suzuki has nothing...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SlowDinoDog said:

I would say...in one word about my 2020 TE150i...evolved. Its taken them a while, but its a dang good, well made, fun bike.

Sure it is, I believe ya. But still the same basic bike as an XCW. My TC125 is awesome, pretty much the same as an SX. KTM is making some good stuff for sure, but 3 of the more or less same bikes is bizarre, but I imagine they will sell easily. If people are inclined to buy these, then that is fine, at least they are buying dirt bikes. I am waiting for my TM, looking forward to it. 

Edited by DEMI

1 minute ago, DEMI said:

Sure it is, I believe ya. But still the same basic bike as an XCW. My TC125 is awesome, but still the same as an SX. KTM is making some good stuff for sure, but 3 of the more or less same bikes is bizarre, but I imagine they will sell easily. If people are inclined to buy these, then that is fine, at least they are buying dirt bikes.

I think that's it. KTM is giving you the choice for a PDS bike...while giving others their choice for a linkage off road bike and others a linkage MX bike. I think Beta may do the same and offer a linkage and non-linkage off road bike to expand their portfolio.