And so, it begins...Dirty, greasy, filthy parts missin...mess...

6 hours ago, Shawn_Mc said:

Some progress. I think with all this virus BS happening, I'll go a little further with this than I intended. Once I get it running again, I'll shake it down a bit and then tear is all apart, powder coat the frame and swinger after I weld some mounts for the side panel hardware.

New fork stantions and bushings/seals. Bead blasted a bunch of stuff, clear coated that to keep it cleaner.

When i mounted the front wheel, I found that when I trued it up the first time, I got the offset wrong to the right. Damn knobs on the tire actually touched the fork dust cap. So, I had to loosen all of the spokes on that side and pull the entire rim back toward the middle. Annoying...Took another hour...I had it so nice and true, and round...that stainless rim looked nice, but loose laced, it looked it'd been through Baja or something. I got it back to +/- a 1/16th again..close enough for now. After the spokes set, I'll get it perfect again...

Tomorrow the rear wheel gets some attention if it doesn't rain again...

It's getting there.

Progress.jpg

Badass....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BPPerformance said:

That is pretty cool I've been following along - you have given me some motivation to pull an old bike from a trailer I put away when my son was 2 he is 32 now. I bought an XLCH 900 sportster when I was 16 and haven't ridden or started it since I was early 20's. my knee hurts just looking at it...

Im actually rehabbing an ACL replacement right now. I know what you mean by knee hurting. It's workers comp thing, the assholes made me walk around on a full thickness tear of my ACL and huge piece tear in the meniscus, for 5 months before I finally got fixed. As a result, Ive got almost no strength in that leg. And getting it back has been extremely slow. I can move around and walk ok, but anything more than that, I usually have to rearrange myself to use my good leg to stand up or whatever.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shawn_Mc said:

Im actually rehabbing an ACL replacement right now. I know what you mean by knee hurting. It's workers comp thing, the &%$#@! made me walk around on a full thickness tear of my ACL and huge piece tear in the meniscus, for 5 months before I finally got fixed. As a result, Ive got almost no strength in that leg. And getting it back has been extremely slow. I can move around and walk ok, but anything more than that, I usually have to rearrange myself to use my good leg to stand up or whatever.

Well that sucks take the pain of rehab you will be fine. I remember those Limey bikes they would kick back with a puff and once you saw that it was time to walk away for awhile ..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shawn_Mc said:

20150612_172303-1.jpg

20150612_172525.jpg

Funny how I cant remember what my wife told me to do yesterday but..I remember 30+ years later the 1000F having an engine noise on the left side, I was so worried that is was about to blow up I parked it. Pulled the cover and the stator plate had come loose put some Loctite on the bolts, lined everything up and smooth again!

I guess its all about priorities.

Just now, BPPerformance said:

Funny how I cant remember what my wife told me to do yesterday but..I remember 30+ years later the 1000F having an engine noise on the left side, I was so worried that is was about to blow up I parked it. Pulled the cover and the stator plate had come loose put some Loctite on the bolts, lined everything up and smooth again!

I guess its all about priorities.

1100 F my bad

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Doogee57 said:

Some nice mods to your 1100f there Shawn. (a CBR900R rear wheel would have matched that F2 front) 

F4i rear wheel weighs less than the F2 front!!And I got it for $40 bucks on a lark (Ebaying while partaking in adult beverages), when it showed up...I didn't even remember buying the thing LOL... If I could have driven the cable speedo off the F4i front, I would have done that.

But today I filled the Beezer up with oil, threw some gazzz in the tank...what a muther to start...granted, it hadn't been started since 1976-78ish...but, I had to kick it 3 friggin times....:cool: (Damn, I'm really good at this shit)

Well, one kick doesn't count because the clutch slipped. It's definitely louder than I remember. I need to fix the header leak. The back fire is legendary...Gotta fix that slipping clutch, gotta nail down an oil leak I cant seem to find. I'll check it tomorrow after it's drooled a bit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve-Norton said:

Well done Shawn!!!! Roughly where in Calif. are you, because I think i heard it light off yesterday here in Vista!!:applause:?

Anaheim Hills, so that's only about 60 miles away, so, I wouldn't be surprised LOL...I need to fix a colossal exhaust leak where the header slides into the head. There' no gasket or anything. The trick is to fold aluminum foil around the header and force it into the head. The backfire from that leak is biblical. This isn't some burble...its a crack that rattles windows.

There used to be some gray thick exhaust sealant you could get to seal up expansion chambers and for the life of me, I cant remember what it was called, or who made it. It stayed soft, didn't turn into goo and blow out. It was great...

• Like 2

The tank isnt bolted down, there are no foot pegs, no rear brake, I was just curious to see if it'd start...when it popped on the first kick..I didnt see that coming.

It slipped the clutch on the second, then fired on the third. It needed some dialing on the carb, but literally, with about 4 minutes..I got this.

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1

3 hours ago, Shawn_Mc said:

There used to be some gray thick exhaust sealant you could get to seal up expansion chambers and for the life of me, I cant remember what it was called, or who made it. It stayed soft, didn't turn into goo and blow out. It was great...

I think that taffy like sealant was called "Chamber Seal", thought I still had some, but when I went to look I found this tape made by Moose Racing.  Still in the package so I've never tried it but I must've bought it because I couldn't find the taffy...

609415868_Moosetape2.jpg.4a64719d0f1e7f6eb5152d089f6d93fa.jpg2091149612_Moosetape1.jpg.ea6e073e5154180620f55c3bcd560539.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigDaddy22 said:

I think that taffy like sealant was called "Chamber Seal", thought I still had some, but when I went to look I found this tape made by Moose Racing.  Still in the package so I've never tried it but I must've bought it because I couldn't find the taffy...

609415868_Moosetape2.jpg.4a64719d0f1e7f6eb5152d089f6d93fa.jpg2091149612_Moosetape1.jpg.ea6e073e5154180620f55c3bcd560539.jpg

That would probably work, if I could get it where I needed it. The header is a slip fit into the head. The header is retained by the bracket that's bolted to the frame, so it,  it vibrates and wears the head. It's probably only .010's of a gap to fill. And its gotta allow the header to slide in. I spent today replacing the rear tire, adjusting the clutch so it didn't slip when I kicked it, moved the shocks up on the swing arm, Found out my Dad also stole the master link clip...put the pegs back on, figured out why the rear brake never worked...Were you aware that brakes dont work well when covered in oil? :facepalm: The guy we got it from was a bit of a dunce. The rear brake NEVER worked well. My Dad kept telling me that they were "motocross brakes", they wont skid the tire...:shocked: Um....Dad? I was 12, what the hell did I know......Well, it skids now...? Front and rear...The previous owner must have oiled the chain with an oil can right on the top of the sprocket and let the excess run down into the brake, which just happens to be RIGHT THERE...

I wish my knee was better, so I could go ride the thing...-_-

• Like 3

15 hours ago, bweighmaster said:

Great work there ...   Time and paitence ,  wish I had one .  Or a Norton Commando ,  or a Bonneville ,  or ,   a Spitfire ,  or , or ,    keep it up , do it right .   Good luck finding all the parts ..  

Finding shit seems to be one of the things Ive gotten good at.

Almost done "mocking" everything up. It fires first kick and rides like a buck board ?

I'm impressed with the brakes...they NEVER worked this good before LOL...

And I saw something on Youtube that I stumbled across while looking for something else.

The whole foil removing rust from chrome thing actually works.  I didn't use Coke though, I  used "Mean Green" cleaner. The rust wiped away like dirt. I was pretty amazed. The places where the Chrome is rusted clear through, they'll rust again, obviously, but from 10 feet, at a dirt bike...pretty damn good.

Beeser almost done.jpg

• Like 1