Jump to content
Shawn_Mc

And so, it begins...Dirty, greasy, filthy parts missin...mess...

Recommended Posts

I was cleaning an old bike in Mexico .  Old man taps me on shoulder ,  says  watch this ,   goes to an old wood oak pallet , breaks off a few pieces ,  throws them in a bucket of water ,  then mixed up some vinagar and baking soda , sprayed the rust and proceeded to scrape the rust with the wood pieces .   Did'nt take me long to make those wheels look good .   Different pieces , different shapes , even spokes .   Smart old man .......

  • Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2020 at 11:09 AM, Shawn_Mc said:

I used to hear all kinds of stuff about getting the Beezer started. I'd walk over, flip out the kicker and kick it like a 9 year old girl and it'd thump to life with one kick, hot or cold....Their eyebrows would go up...and I'd laugh..there's not even a compression release...

 

The ones with the compression release would always win the "kick start race" at the vintage meet. Bike in gear, key off, you have to kick the bike across the grass infield.  You had to ride away to prove you didn't pull the plug or some other cheat guys tried.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 10:22 AM, Shawn_Mc said:

The tank isnt bolted down, there are no foot pegs, no rear brake, I was just curious to see if it'd start...when it popped on the first kick..I didnt see that coming.

It slipped the clutch on the second, then fired on the third. It needed some dialing on the carb, but literally, with about 4 minutes..I got this.

 

Back when it was "current" I would have ridden off on it if I had it that far along. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Shawn_Mc said:

Getting closer

Almost done 2.jpg

Shop gets put up as soon as the snow is gone. B40 gets stripped and begun. Have to after seeing that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ossagp1 said:

Back when it was "current" I would have ridden off on it if I had it that far along. 

I did! LOL...seat wasn't bolted down...feet on the engine, back firing because of the giant header leak at the head...It was cluster &%$#@!, my neighbors are looking over thinking WTH...One guy yells, "you need to keep working on that one" LOL...

It was hilarious.

I fixed that header leak though. Adjusted the valves. Man, it runs really good...sometimes I just sit and stare at it in disbelief...

The friggin spark plug was put in, in 1974 LOL...Same plug LOL...Autolite 403...My Dad hated NGK back then...why, I have no idea LOL

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Shawn_Mc said:

I did! LOL...seat wasn't bolted down...feet on the engine, back firing because of the giant header leak at the head...It was cluster &%$#@!, my neighbors are looking over thinking WTH...One guy yells, "you need to keep working on that one" LOL...

It was hilarious.

I fixed that header leak though. Adjusted the valves. Man, it runs really good...sometimes I just sit and stare at it in disbelief...

The friggin spark plug was put in, in 1974 LOL...Same plug LOL...Autolite 403...My Dad hated NGK back then...why, I have no idea LOL

Back then you saw EVERYONE using autolite plugs. JN Roberts among others had one of those 3x5" autolite stickers/decals on his tank. The only thing I could figure was that they seemed to be first on the scene with a spark plug to fit a Honda that took an sae sized wrench and not an 18. In 1966 where I lived AC and autolite were your only choices since everyone lost the chinko wrench that came with your Honda, and if you didn't, you ruined every plug you tried to remove or install. Then it went egg shaped. So NGK sparkplugs were not called NGK's they were referred to as f#€|√g NGK's or something akin to taking the  "Lord's name in vain" NGK's. So the lack of 18mm spark plug socket wrenches are to blame. When I went to Europe summer of 71 they were all using Champions in England. Lodge wasn't selling many two stroke heat ranges. 

On 3/21/2020 at 10:22 AM, Shawn_Mc said:

The tank isnt bolted down, there are no foot pegs, no rear brake, I was just curious to see if it'd start...when it popped on the first kick..I didnt see that coming.

It slipped the clutch on the second, then fired on the third. It needed some dialing on the carb, but literally, with about 4 minutes..I got this.

 

Back when it was "current" I would have ridden off on it if I had it that far along. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/21/2020 at 2:01 PM, Shawn_Mc said:

Anaheim Hills, so that's only about 60 miles away, so, I wouldn't be surprised LOL...I need to fix a colossal exhaust leak where the header slides into the head. There' no gasket or anything. The trick is to fold aluminum foil around the header and force it into the head. The backfire from that leak is biblical. This isn't some burble...its a crack that rattles windows.

There used to be some gray thick exhaust sealant you could get to seal up expansion chambers and for the life of me, I cant remember what it was called, or who made it. It stayed soft, didn't turn into goo and blow out. It was great...

Chamber seal?

20191112_163235.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, everlastneverfast said:

Chamber seal?

20191112_163235.jpg

That's IT!!

I had a bag of the stuff somewhere. I remembered what it looked like, I just couldn't remember what it was called.

If my current fix fails, I'll see if I can find that stuff again. That stuff worked great.

My Current fix...

Since the header is just a slip fit into the head itself..about an inch deep, and the head is worn from the header vibrating, I took a tiny bit of silicone and smeared that onto the header, then I carefully wrapped a strip of aluminum foil around the header ( strip was about 12" long and 3/4 wide" with half the strip extending over the end of the header, then followed the strip around with silicone like a cinnamon roll out about 2 1/2 turns, folded the foil over the end of the header into the inside of it. I pushed that into the head and let it setup over night. The silicone isnt subject to the exhaust pulse directly, protected by the foil, the foil takes up the space and seals the end of the tube into the head. Zero. Leak. No back fire. Perfect. We'll see how long it lasts.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Shawn_Mc said:

That's IT!!

I had a bag of the stuff somewhere. I remembered what it looked like, I just couldn't remember what it was called.

If my current fix fails, I'll see if I can find that stuff again. That stuff worked great.

 

 

That is a recent picture. Never looked to see if anything was in package or if it was any good anymore. Took picture to prove a point and torment a young smart ass that the stuff really existed. He accused me of time travel to 1974. Stuff worked great on our old steel ring sealed expansion chambers and ratty, egged out exhaust ports. Roll it up and pack the pipe into port and it worked well.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Shawn_Mc said:

Irony, the Autolite 403 is an NGK B8ES...Which has always been 13/16ths.

Yep. But remember, few people started "there". The biggest majority of riders coming into the sport started on a Honda 4 stroke. "Tiny" spark plugs. "Tiny" metric fasteners. "Shouldn't let them bring them into the country". The riders that started on other non Japanese brands sure we're not going to do ANYTHING to add a Japanese part.  Honda riders like me were actually wondering if Honda wasn't seeking the "revenge" we kept hearing about due to the funny sizes.  

Funnier yet was me putting them in my brothers 64 vw bug before he got back from Vietnam. You should have seen his reaction in 1968.

Edited by ossagp1
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ossagp1 said:

Yep. But remember, few people started "there". The biggest majority of riders coming into the sport started on a Honda 4 stroke. "Tiny" spark plugs. "Tiny" metric fasteners. "Shouldn't let them bring them into the country". The riders that started on other non Japanese brands sure we're not going to do ANYTHING to add a Japanese part.  Honda riders like me were actually wondering if Honda wasn't seeking the "revenge" we kept hearing about due to the funny sizes.  

Funnier yet was me putting them in my brothers 64 vw bug before he got back from Vietnam. You should have seen his reaction in 1968.

Well, My Grandmother was the first Honda Dealer in Wyoming...At one point, Mac's Cycle was the only combination Harley, Indian, Ariel dealer in the country. Which is a story in and of itself LOL...they also sold toys and Schwinns and Whizzer powered Schwinns, too. In one fell swoop, you could come in, buy a Harley, A teddy bear, a bicycle and a Honda Step through 50...

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got some sunshine. Been raining almost non stop for weeks. You can see the reflection of the grip in the tank. Ive got some chain guide work to do before I tear it all down to send the frame off to powder coat. I got custom graphics coming for the plates, but the sides will have to wait because I'm going to do those same as the chassis. Cant make up my mind what I want to do with those shocks. They work and all that, but at this point, I'm torn between those, a set of Worx, maybe some Ohlins...

Mock up almost complete.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Shawn_Mc said:

Finally got some sunshine. Been raining almost non stop for weeks. You can see the reflection of the grip in the tank. Ive got some chain guide work to do before I tear it all down to send the frame off to powder coat. I got custom graphics coming for the plates, but the sides will have to wait because I'm going to do those same as the chassis. Cant make up my mind what I want to do with those shocks. They work and all that, but at this point, I'm torn between those, a set of Worx, maybe some Ohlins...

Mock up almost complete.jpg

Great progress. Most of us are sick with envy watching here. Most of us butchered and brutalized our own vintage bikes in our foolish youthful years. I feel badly for the current owners of motorcycles and cars we hacked up as kids. The present day owners are probably cursing us. If memory serves on history of this bike, it was your own use causing scratches, dents and damage to this project...lucky you😀 you have yourself to blame but at least you still have the bike. I am enjoying this project. I would encourage the use of the Worx shocks for your project . My experience with them has been positive and the domestic(and local) businesses can sure use the support and revenue. We raced Works Performance shocks back in the day and found performance was on par with any other specialty product and Worx Shox is every bit as good as Works(same product) and the local owners are decent folk also.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Shawn_Mc said:

this will make your mouth water...

I just ran across a 1979 RD400 Daytona...and it's mine...DG heads and pipes...its all there.

Pics!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...